San Juan Islands

dinneR

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Lopez and San Juan Island are the most favorable to ride. Orcas being the most challenging.

Definitely a gem. Great riding and fun stuff to do. Lopez is so nice and laid back. They had a great map at the ferry terminal telling you which roads were the safest to ride and which ones to avoid. Orcas was hard because our time was limited and we stuck to the main road which is narrow, limited shoulder, and busy. We stayed on San Juan and the riding was great.

• Heart 1

Fantastic. I have a cousin who lives in Anacortes. We rented bikes and rode 50 miles or so from Friday Harbor up to Roche Harbor, Yacht Haven and around. Quite hilly. That was back in late 90's or so. Had a few beers at Herb's Tavern, then moseyed over to the Cask and Schooner for dinner. Had a few beers there. Missed our ferry. Had a few more. Caught the last ferry around 11:30 back to Anacortes.  I need to go back.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm glad you hit Roche Harbor. Taking my wife there at end of September for a couple nights.

We ate at the Madrona Bar and Grill. I recommend the dirty tots.

Dirty Tots
Crispy tater tots topped with barbeque pork, cheese sauce,
green onions, ranch and Gochujang barbeque sauce. 8.95

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We rented MTB bikes.  I remember it being surprisingly hilly, and crashing several times (but the ground being soft).  I think riding is a top five thing to do there for sure. 

Tom

Lots of boats, private planes, and bikes. It is very hilly. Some are steep. The ebike was awesome.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Any details on the ebike?  Did you try it out?

Tom

It was a Cannondale Neo quick. I did ride it. It was pretty cool. It had about 90 mile range in eco mode. We rode about 40 miles the first day and the battery life was still over 50%. It was an equalizer on the hills. She cackled as she past me.  It had a rack and a cooler on the back so we used it to carry our groceries and wine. It was heavy. 45 lbs maybe. We tested the Giant road E and it was about 45 lbs as well. She did not like the flat bar and prefers a drop bar. Essentially, it allowed her to ride at my pace without me slowing to her pace.  It feels like someone is giving you a nice push as you pedal or a good tailwind.

She is considering one of the Orbeas now. They weigh around 28 lbs and and are less expensive. 

The first day her chain snapped. I repaired it and we took it to a shop to replace it, but they did not have a 9 speed cassette in stock.

C17_C63208M%20_BLK.ashx?mw=1000