Quote of the Day: Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Inspiration Bot

4 hours ago, pedalphile said:

If you know your modern Latin you'll find the ancient stuff exactly alike.

Well, I went down to the Bookmobile and checked their ancient Latin references on this topic. The definitive reference on the topic of the behaviour of the school aged children prior to the current millennia is "Opus Doofus" by the author, Dingus Maximus of the last century BC. He confirms my position that children named Lucius were, in fact, teased by their peers all the way through school. "Lucy" was indeed the common slur for man children named Lucius. Some of the more common slurs were Luscious Lucy, Lucy Loose Butt, Lucy Looser, etc. I think we can surmise by the statements in this reference that Seneca the Younger was likely to have been the target of bullies during his school years. Of course, this is all contingent on the quality of the translation of the tome by the sixth century Italian poet, Goffredo Spicoli.

I hope that clears the air between us.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, donkpow said:

Well, I went down to the Bookmobile and checked their ancient Latin references on this topic. The definitive reference on the topic of the behaviour of the school aged children prior to the current millennia is "Opus Doofus" by the author, Dingus Maximus of the last century BC. He confirms my position that children named Lucius were, in fact, teased by their peers all the way through school. "Lucy" was indeed the common slur for man children named Lucius. Some of the more common slurs were Luscious Lucy, Lucy Loose Butt, Lucy Looser, etc. I think we can surmise by the statements in this reference that Seneca the Younger was likely to have been the target of bullies during his school years. Of course, this is all contingent on the quality of the translation of the tome by the sixth century Italian poet, Goffredo Spicoli.

I hope that clears the air between us.

Yes it certainly does and sheds new light on the matter for me, thanks to your research, I knew none of this, only that he was bullied when jung for being overweight, which was rare for the times.

• Heart 1