I go to the Dr. today

AirwickWithCheese

This coming Thursday will be exactly 6 weeks without sweets and sugar. For the most part it has been easy up to this point. 

However, something went wrong Sunday night/Monday morning and thus my trip to the Dr. this afternoon. 

I fell asleep without eating dinner. Got up around 3 am and noticed I had a shooting pain just below my left shin. I made it to the kitchen to feed Edgar but the room was spinning and ended up passed out in the floor. Eventually I somehow made it to the RG memorial guest bedroom where I collapsed on the bed. 

I didn't move until 3 pm. Temperature was 102.4 at 7 pm 15 hours after I passed out. There is this odd red ring that goes all the way around my left leg right at the shin where I first felt the pain. 

2 Aleve at 7pm but still felt horrible. I finally called for help and a friend came by and made me a peanut butter and banana sandwich with cold milk. I ate half and immediately started feeling better. Fever broke and I started sweating like a Wilbur. 

My diagnosis. Blood sugar went too low during the night. Not sure about all the other aspects especially ring around shin. Please play Dr. Marcus Welby, MD. 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1
  • Envious 1

....so this guy walks into his doctor's office, sits down, and the doc asks him, "What's going on ?"

And the guy replies, 

"I fell asleep without eating dinner. Got up around 3 am and noticed I had a shooting pain just below my left shin. I made it to the kitchen to feed Edgar but the room was spinning and ended up passed out in the floor. Eventually I somehow made it to the RG memorial guest bedroom where I collapsed on the bed. 

I didn't move until 3 pm. Temperature was 102.4 at 7 pm 15 hours after I passed out. There is this odd red ring that goes all the way around my left leg right at the shin where I first felt the pain. 

2 Aleve at 7pm but still felt horrible. I finally called for help and a friend came by and made me a peanut butter and banana sandwich with cold milk. I ate half and immediately started feeling better. Fever broke and I started sweating like a whore in church.   What does it mean ?"

The doctor sits there for a moment, taking it all in, then he scribbles  a few notes in the file, closes it, looks the guy directly in the eye, and says, "I don't know. Grab onto your wallet and let's do some tests."

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

what did I do except ask in a most courteous manner about the health of a friend?  @AirwickWithCheese, you leave me confused?

Could not do blood work because I had breakfast this morning. She was more concerned about the red rash. No bites, and it's growing. She drew lines around the border and prescribed Cephalexin and Sulfamethoxazole. If it grows, I have to go get IV.   :(

So, I really still know zilch.   

• Heart 2
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Could not do blood work because I had breakfast this morning. She was more concerned about the red rash. No bites, and it's growing. She drew lines around the border and prescribed Cephalexin and Sulfamethoxazole. If it grows, I have to go get IV.   :(

So, I really still know zilch.   

Hmmmm.  I have not heard of these symptoms.  Blood type infection?

• Confused 1

Did you get a diagnosis Cheese?  I've given up sweets too, for the most part, except I broke down and bought some Black Forrest Fruity Medleys today. 

555B7901-BB30-D205-41BC-875247C538AE-1116.jpeg

I'm off meat.  I'm off dairy.  Ate a healthy veggie soup today but after being in a deadzone meeting, I needed a fix, man.  I've recently decided work is stressful and unhealthy.  Thinking about moving down to jsharr's neighborhood and putting up a tent on his lawn.  I won't ask him for anything but maybe bean chili.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Week from this Thursday. Not sure why? 

...you frightened them with all your eating details in the story. they want to do the blood work fasting, but they're afraid to tell you to fast again tonight, for fear you'll die and sisCheese will get a huge malpractice settlement out of them.  And they want to give all the tests you do time to get processed and read, and to get into your file. 

Also, the great majority of things clear up in 48-72 hours all by themselves.  So basically this is the first of many Hail Mary passes you are going to get from the medical establishment in your search for answers.  If it's all gone by the time you return, they fixed you.  If it gets a lot worse and you die, they told you to seek emergency medical help if it gets worse.  Their bases are covered.

I hope it turns out to be self limiting, because I have some personal experience in looking for answers for a problem that was not.  It's ugly, and you don't want to go there. :(

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Did you get a diagnosis Cheese?  I've given up sweets too, for the most part, except I broke down and bought some Black Forrest Fruity Medleys today. 

555B7901-BB30-D205-41BC-875247C538AE-1116.jpeg

I'm off meat.  I'm off dairy.  Ate a healthy veggie soup today but after being in a deadzone meeting, I needed a fix, man.  I've recently decided work is stressful and unhealthy.  Thinking about moving down to jsharr's neighborhood and putting up a tent on his lawn.  I won't ask him for anything but maybe bean chili.

• Sad 1

I didn't take this seriously because AWWC has an incredible sense of humour.  The pain and red band has DVT written all over it Cheese.  Not a medical event to mess with.  An Emergency ward will see you right away.  It is high priority.  Hope I am wrong but I have some experience in this area. 

:console:

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

As you all know I had DVT about 6 years ago which turned into a Pulmonary Embolism and a came within millimeters of killing me. Though the DVT was on the back of my knee, my front thigh was red, enflamed and sore. Plus I had extreme fatigue and shortness of breath. If this matches your symptoms get to the ER pronto. 

...deep vein thrombosis was one of my first thoughts, too, but it doesn't jive with all the other fever and miscellaneous symptoms.

Also, there is almost always some distinct and unmistakable swelling with CVT, and the patient has made no mention of swelling.  Certainly the sharp pain on the lower extremity, the redness and the band around the leg are all symptomatic of DVT.  But I presume that even in Greenville a GP would have enough experience to spot this and rule it out.

• Confused 1

On 8/14/2018 at 4:29 AM, AirwickWithCheese said:

Please play Dr. Marcus Welby, MD. 

I once saw a British documentary about a famous doctor who treated all sorts of patients, and one of them had a problem similar to yours.  I think the doctor would have said "Mr. Cheese, there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong."

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1