Vienna

late

13 minutes ago, late said:

"The Austrian capital, Vienna, has beaten Australia's Melbourne to be named the world's most liveable city."

I did a semester in Vienna, it's a good place to live. I was curious how American cities did, but couldn't find the whole list.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45174600

You have to purchase the complete survey.

https://www.eiu.com/topic/liveability

41 minutes ago, jsharr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Liveability_Ranking

Looks like Australia or Canada are the places to be.  After hearing Page and Dottles decry Austria, I will never go there.

I spent a few months there, and loved it. I said it was a good place to live, it's a really good place to live.

It's not flashy, it doesn't have the Louvre, the food is really good, but it's middle of the pack for European countries. Which is still really good, but food is the national religion of France, and Italy ain't exactly shabby where eats are concerned.

For years after I came home, I would have intense dreams about being back in Vienna, dreams so intense they felt real.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Liveability_Ranking

Looks like Australia or Canada are the places to be.  After hearing Page and Dottles decry Austria, I will never go there.

...Toronto and Tokyo are good places to avoid as well.  And this is coming from someone who actually used to enjoy occasional visits to New York City (so long as they lasted only about three days.)

Like all these top cities surveys, I have some questions (based on my own experiences) with regard to what factors they used to determine "livability".

Of course, I really enjoyed living in Naples, Italy for that one year.  And all you ever hear about Naples is how the streets are filled with garbage and the whole place is run by the mafia.:) But if someone told me tomorrow I had to live in Tokyo for the rest of my life, I think I'd eat a bullet.

• Heart 2

Just now, Page Turner said:

...Toronto and Tokyo are good places to avoid as well.  And this is coming from someone who actually used to enjoy occasional visits to New York City (so long as they lasted only about three days.)

Like all these top cities surveys, I have some questions (based on my own experiences) with regard to what factors they used to determine "livability".

Much like the Cowboys, Dallas sucks.  We are rude, bad drivers, it is hot as Satan's balls and probably a bit more humid ( I have heard Hell is a dry heat) we all drive trucks (well the real Texicans do) so that we have room to store our massive egos, and Jerry Jones lives here.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Much like the Cowboys, Dallas sucks.  We are rude, bad drivers, it is hot as Satan's balls and probably a bit more humid ( I have heard Hell is a dry heat) we all drive trucks (well the real Texicans do) so that we have room to store our massive egos, and Jerry Jones lives here.

...I say bad stuff about Sacramento, too.  It's because I don't want anyone else to move here. :)

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..Toronto and Tokyo are good places to avoid as well.  And this is coming from someone who actually used to enjoy occasional visits to New York City (so long as they lasted only about three days.)

It took me about 10 years to adjust, but I find Toronto and surrounding areas very nice to live in.  Downtown is a big and busy city but easy to get around either by car or the various means of public transit.  If it had an ocean, it would be perfect. 

17 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Of course, I really enjoyed living in Naples, Italy for that one year.  And all you ever hear about Naples is how the streets are filled with garbage and the whole place is run by the mafia.:) But if someone told me tomorrow I had to live in Tokyo for the rest of my life, I think I'd eat a bullet.

I can understand that.  Tokyo is just plain crowded.  I really liked the western cities of Osaka, Kyoto and the smaller one's like Nara and Kashihara.  They are all less crowded and surrounded by more rural areas.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I say bad stuff about Sacramento, too.  It's because I don't want anyone else to move here. :)

Out of California, I could do Sacramento, almost always flew in there when I had to do business trips up to Grass Valley.  I'd eat a bullet before I had to live on the coast though.

• Awesome 1

I have been to Vienna.  Great place.  Like most European towns they've capped the height of the buildings.  You can find some fabulous architecture there and their zoo is one of the best in the World.  It's pretty flat but has rolling hills.  My first exposure was rolling into town at night and being exposed to the old school lightening.  It was romantic as hell and I'm not even romantic.  If you have not already done so, take your significant other over there.  Lot's of hugs, kisses, and sex for sure.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Out of California, I could do Sacramento, almost always flew in there when I had to do business trips up to Grass Valley.  I'd eat a bullet before I had to live on the coast though.

I thought you were a "water" guy. Just fresh water? Pool water?

Tom

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I have been to Vienna.  Great place.  Like most European towns they've capped the height of the buildings.  You can find some fabulous architecture there and their zoo is one of the best in the World.  It's pretty flat but has rolling hills.  My first exposure was rolling into town at night and being exposed to the old school lightening.  It was romantic as hell and I'm not even romantic.  If you have not already done so, take your significant other over there.  Lot's of hugs, kisses, and sex for sure.

..if they could just thin out the Austrians a little, it would be nicer.

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I thought you were a "water" guy. Just fresh water? Pool water?

Tom

Fresh water, I like wake boarding, water skiing, generally trying to kill myself behind a boat.  Seeing a big body of water that is worthless for that stuff, just makes me sad.

I'm not into the whole Slut Life thing.

I mean Salt Life.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

Yeah, that's not water skiing, water skiing involves whipping back in forth across the water at breakneck speed trying to weave through gates.

And the wipe outs wouldn't hurt nearly as bad, where is the fun in that?