Red flag warning

Dirtyhip

51 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if you can't get to the river, dig a shallow hole, crawl in, cover yourself with a space blanket, and kiss your ass goodbye.

I am no fireman but I did fly forest fires moving crews early in my career.  I always remember the training being not to go for the water.  Suffocation, smoke inhalation and drowning.  Now, if faced with water as my only option, I would go for it. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I am no fireman but I did fly forest fires moving crews early in my career.  I always remember the training being not to go for the water.  Suffocation, smoke inhalation and drowning.  Now, if faced with water as my only option, I would go for it. 

...mostly, the training is big on going for the spot that's already burned over, or for the rocks, IIRC. 

They give everyone one of those emergency shelter, mylar reflective thingies, but they also tell you if you use it you're probably gonna die.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Thank you.

There's been so much smoke in Seattle that there is a warning to go outside.  That's right.  I will repeat that.  Seattle has an indoor advisory because our air quality is so bad.  From the same jet stream that brought you rain forests, this state has now become so stagnant that massive forest fires breaking out around the Pacific Northwest that it is a danger to go outside.  I've lived here 48 years and last year and this year were the first time anything like this has ever happened.  And the weather forecasters are calling for no change for the next 2 weeks.

We've also had the second hottest summer on record -- the first coming in 2015 -- and like the three or four hottest summers in a row being the hottest ever.  We have more forests up this way and we've always had forest fires.  Part of life.  But the last 4 years or so things have been more hyper.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

There's been so much smoke in Seattle that there is a warning to go outside.  That's right.  I will repeat that.  Seattle has an indoor advisory because our air quality is so bad.  From the same jet stream that brought you rain forests this state has now become so stagnant that massive forest fires breaking out around the Pacific Northwest have made it a danger to go outside.  I've lived here 48 years and last year and this were the first two years that anything like this has ever happened.  And the weather forecasters are calling for no change for the next 2 months.

We've also had the second hottest summer on record -- the first coming in 2015 -- and like the three or four hottest summers in a row being the hottest ever.    

THANKS OBAMA!  

• Envious 1