What are you reading?

petitepedal

Just finished "Lilac Girls"  Got  Jack Reacher up next.

Lilac Girls

Lilac Girls
by
Martha Hall Kelly (Goodreads Author)
Inspired by the life of a real World War II heroine, this debut novel reveals a story of love, redemption, and secrets that were hidden for decades.

New York socialite Caroline Ferriday has her hands full with her post at the French consulate and a new love on the horizon. But Caroline’s world is forever changed when Hitler’s army invades Poland in September 1939—and then sets its sights on France.

An ocean away from Caroline, Kasia Kuzmerick, a Polish teenager, senses her carefree youth disappearing as she is drawn deeper into her role as courier for the underground resistance movement. In a tense atmosphere of watchful eyes and suspecting neighbors, one false move can have dire consequences.

For the ambitious young German doctor, Herta Oberheuser, an ad for a government medical position seems her ticket out of a desolate life. Once hired, though, she finds herself trapped in a male-dominated realm of Nazi secrets and power.

The lives of these three women are set on a collision course when the unthinkable happens and Kasia is sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious Nazi concentration camp for women. Their stories cross continents—from New York to Paris, Germany, and Poland—as Caroline and Kasia strive to bring justice to those whom history has forgotten.

Some post apocalyptic tale or other.  The writing isn't the best.  Prior to this, I read "Astrophysics for Busy People", which was interesting but not the best.  I would have liked more description in some areas, maybe less in others, and certainly more oomph from NDT (or anyone else).  

Just finished Kindle version of the Library book. Escape from Camp 14. North Korean is bred by the NK to be a worker/slave in a work camp. He escapes with another camp mate. Friend fell on the electric wire. He climbed over him with the body insulating some of the charge. Friend died and he has some serious burns. Then made his way to China & South Korea

decent read. i think next is a Tom petty biography. Or an Afghanistan story of deployment

Reading the 6th book of The Expanse for the second time. Still reading that dino book, The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs.  It's a lot better than what you are thinking. I inter-library requested When Einstein Walked with Godel. Trying to work up the gumption to read a Liss I got. I've only read one by him so far, The Coffee Trader, it's an excellent book about how the coffee trade got started, and how commodity markets work, and what life was like (esp. for Jews) a few hundred years ago. But it's not my usual cup of tea, so I'd read a few pages, and then pick it up again a month later.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The U-Boat Wars.

Hard to believe that in the first 6 months after Americas entry into WWII over half of our registered shipping tonnage was sunk by just 6 German Submarines off the east coast.

Try Grey Seas Under.

https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Seas-Under-Perilous-N/dp/1585742406/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534383747&sr=8-1&keywords=grey+seas+under&dpID=51giArpkYlL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

8 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

And for my shootingstar-boring self, Gretchen Rubin's The Four Tendencies. I am definitely a Questioner and not an Upholder, Rebel, or Obliger.  Just call me EPG - what can I say, I love psychobabble. :D

It's been awhile I've read a psychobabble.

I should do my duty and read my niece's latest rom-com.  She's editing her next one and 3rd one is in the oven:  The Greatest Pi Party.

DkqihnpXoAIqdVN.jpg

My daughter is reading Ethan Frome for her summer reading list, and I started rereading it so we can discuss it.

In my experience this book is pretty polarizing - love it or hate it.  I do love this book.  She's not really enjoying it and I'm pretty sure she's going to complain about the ending.

Too many magazines which makes it difficult to find time to read books. I've started to let subscriptions lapse such as Car and Driver which I've subscribed to for more than 40 years. I'll never be able to afford most of the cars that they write about anyway. I get 4 bicycling magazines and will cut that down to 2 within a year. I'll keep Bicycling and need to choose between Road Bike Action and Velonews.

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Too many magazines which makes it difficult to find time to read books. I've started to let subscriptions lapse such as Car and Driver which I've subscribed to for more than 40 years. I'll never be able to afford most of the cars that they write about anyway. I get 4 bicycling magazines and will cut that down to 2 within a year. I'll keep Bicycling and need to choose between Road Bike Action and Velonews.

I gave up on Car and Driver a few years ago, after maybe 35 years or so, but kept Automobile, but I barely read them.  They did a redesign a year or two ago and I like the new large format.

52 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Yep - I'm in that boat.  I long ago lapsed on the car mags.  The bike mags are tougher to drop.   Also have hiking, camping, outdoor, and RV stuff plus Businessweek (which is great but comes weekly) and a few others.  I finally recycled a decade of old car and bike mags.  Now I have to go through the more recent editions and clear them out too.

Tom