Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs...

tybeegb

but some people ignore them and pay the price.  On the south end of Tybee, when the tide is low, there is a very large sandbar that extends almost to the other side of the river.  Close to a half mile, with little rivulets and puddles scattered around.  There is also a BIG sign that TELLS people to not walk out onto the sandbar because of the quickly rising water when the tide turns.  AND that there is NO lifeguard present on that area of the beach, as it is not a spot anyone sets up to swim/sunbathe because of the danger.  Numerous times, every year, there are people who ignore the sign and have to be rescued by other beachgoers or the authorities.

So this past Tuesday evening, around 7:30PM, someone called the TIPD to report people caught on the sandbar, with the tide rushing in.  Yesterday evening the authorities found the second body of the two who drowned.  What is tragic is that with the tide coming in, anyone who can dog paddle can swim over to the marsh on one side and the river shoreline and docks on the other side.  Just so sad.       

• Sad 4

That's a shame.  Some people seem to live by the credo "everyone is stupid except me". 

(I like to say this about criminals too - "all those other clowns got caught, but I won't")

There's nothing wrong with respecting the experience of those who have come before you.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The water really comes in that fast? Wouldn't just wearing a life jacket while walking it be the other option?

Tidal flows in narrow passages can rush in pretty fast.  I have never been to TI but live in a coastal region and have seen it myself. 

Stupid is as stupid does...

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Not residents?

I think they're from Atlanta (hit the local news yesterday).

There's a large group of folks who think the general conventions, rules & regulations that keep us from descending into anarchy don't apply to them. Every once & a while, Darwin grabs a few to keep an even balance of stupid in the universe. Personally, I think he should grab a few more to lower the allowable stupid level.

Sadly, the relatives will sue and/or GoFundMe, get some money & the result will be that no one will be allowed to go out there anymore.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You want to actually watch the fools drown?

"check the video at 11:34:13 and watch the idiot get swept out to sea"

Is there a lot of that???? It would seem with a lifeguard and a cam, we would get a lot of bang for our buck.  Either in daring rescues or watching people hightail it back to shore.  This is a total win-win.

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Is there a lot of that???? It would seem with a lifeguard and a cam, we would get a lot of bang for our buck.  Either in daring rescues or watching people hightail it back to shore.  This is a total win-win.

Tom

2 in the past week sounds like it's hight to me.  If not there wouldn't be all those signs.

Question:  Are the signs also in Spanish (and or French for the visiting Kandians)?  That could explain a lot.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

2 in the past week sounds like it's hight to me.  If not there wouldn't be all those signs.

Question:  Are the signs also in Spanish (and or French for the visiting Kandians)?  That could explain a lot.

Are the lifeguards napping? The cams would capture that too!

Tom

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

Who's going to pay to save a fool?  I object to the world having to take the blame for idiots.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I have no objections to lifeguards in authorized swimming areas.  I do object to having to make the entire world a bubble.

Not everything can nor has to be fixed.

Fixed? I'd say that town has possibly blown through a lifeguard's salary in dealing with just one of these instances.  Smart focus of resources seems like it would look at that section of coast, and decide if something a little more useful than signs would be prudent.  

Or, just put up the cams so we can at least get some vicarious pleasure from watching "stupid" people paying the price for their idiocy.  Sure, now it is just a lose-win, but that's still better than a lose-lose and we might satisfy Kazoo.

Tom

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Fixed? I'd say that town has possibly blown through a lifeguard's salary in dealing with just one of these instances.  Smart focus of resources seems like it would look at that section of coast, and decide if something a little more useful than signs would be prudent.  

Or, just put up the cams so we can at least get some vicarious pleasure from watching "stupid" people paying the price for their idiocy.  Sure, now it is just a lose-win, but that's still better than a lose-lose and we might satisfy Kazoo.

Tom

This is why I'm a part from column A and part from column B guy.  It is possible to be too much from column B.

33 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

The place is not safe for bathing, having a lifeguard on site would simply encourage the stupidity Shirley.

Not cancel it out?  From what I read, a basic ability to swim would prevent this tragedy.  A lifeguard probably could have saved these folks.  

Again, not my call, but I'd think something isn't working if folks are still drowning in a place that is known for folks drowning.  Or maybe these two are the first and only time this will happen. In that case, great!

Tom

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Or maybe these two are the first and only time this will happen. In that case, great!

Are you hardheaded or just have reading comprehension issues.  That's 2 in the last week.  It's and epidemic.  We need a fence, more signs in several languages and some flags (red, green, yellow).  Those folks on Tybee are rich.  They can afford it.  Think of the children.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Are you hardheaded or just have reading comprehension issues.  That's 2 in the last week.  It's and epidemic.  We need a fence, more signs in several languages and some flags (red, green, yellow).  Those folks on Tybee are rich.  They can afford it.  Think of the children.

So we want a lifeguard, a cam, AND a fence now?  The first two likely need no permits nor zoning changes, but the fence??? That will NEVER happen.

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So we want a lifeguard, a cam, AND a fence now?  The first two likely need no permits nor zoning changes, but the fence??? That will NEVER happen.

Tom

You don't know anything about Tybee Island.  A permit is required just for thinking about any of this stuff (and all of it needs the appropriate, permitted, inspected and approved footings).  Permit Lady will be sending the FBI to pay you a visit shortly.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is she hot? Will Parr8...?

Tom

So we will go with reading comprehension issues.   She's sending the FBI you dolt.  Who cares what she looks like and the answer it your first question is no.  Second one - obviously.  As a matter of fact Parr8 spent some time on Tybee a couple years ago and we heard a story about little Permit Kids.  I think the name is Permit8.

• Haha 1

In true fashion I'm surprised that a suggestion hasn't been made that the area be paved, an anti shark wall be installed, sharp edges be ground off of everything dangerous and regular bus runs be made from the city to the new swimming hole, all to be paid for by federal funds raised with a special tax on all rural residents in the nation who can swim.

Yes, this is taking a turn toward P&R.

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

In true fashion I'm surprised that a suggestion hasn't been made that the area be paved, an anti shark wall be installed, sharp edges be ground off of everything dangerous and regular bus runs be made from the city to the new swimming hole, all to be paid for by federal funds raised with a special tax on all rural residents in the nation who can swim.

Much better than that stupid idea of live feed video cam.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Much better than that stupid idea of live feed video cam.

What if it allowed remote users to control where the camera was aimed, and folks could periodically adjust it a little to the north, zoom a bit, and catch sight of that nudist beach?  And purely for "safety" concerns, not anything voyeuristic.

Tom

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What if it allowed remote users to control where the camera was aimed, and folks could periodically adjust it a little to the north, zoom a bit, and catch sight of that nudist beach?  And purely for "safety" concerns, not anything voyeuristic.

Tom

See.  Nothing is good enough.  It's add a little here, put some more in there.  This is a prime example of a solution looking for a problem to spend money on.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

See.  Nothing is good enough.  It's add a little here, put some more in there.  This is a prime example of a solution looking for a problem to spend money on.

If you saw that nudist beach, you wouldn't be talking that way!  These are Southern belles, not the kinds of ladies you find in other parts of the US.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Let's not be too hasty here.  People ignoring signs like this are putting my kids through school

The pragmatic approach to problems.  I said earlier, "think of the children."  I just wasn't thinking of yours.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1