Cinco de Mayo rant

Monday, May 5, is widely celebrated in the United States, by getting drunk on mexican beer, tequila and margaritas.  Nothing wrong with that, you won't get any argument from me.  However, in researching the reason behind the date's significance I learned the following:  the date is remembered, mostly in the Puebla region of Mexico, as the date when the Mexican army defeated a larger group of French forces.  Read that again, a bunch of Mexican soldiers defeated a larger group of French soldiers.  This is not a reason for the huge celebration it has become!  A troop of girl scouts could have defeated the French army.  The French probably surrendered before their morning lattes were ready.  I don't begrudge a good party or any excuse to get drunk as I'm Irish but c'mon, can't you come up with a better reason?  Uh, let's see, we'll get drunk on May 5th cause it's only four weeks until the pools open?  It's May 5, it's already warm in Mexico, it'll be warm here soon, let's get hammered now!  Defeating the French is not a valid reason for getting drunk, you didn't even try.

• Heart 1