Another cousin passed away

MickinMD

Both my parents were the youngest of large families and we younger cousins have seen most of the older ones die.

Today we buried my cousin Tom.  When he was 14 and I was 9, our fathers - brothers and best friends - began taking us fishing almost weekly in the summers beginning in 1960 where the South River (south of Annapolis) meets the Chesapeake Bay.  Now I'm the only one of the four left with living memories of those experiences.  The Bay was so plentiful then that 9" was the minimum for taking rockfish (striped bass). It's 19" now and you can only catch them June-Dec.

My cousin Linda said to me as we left the cemetery, "My brother Tommy was oldest left in the family. Now, after Jo Ann dies, I'll be the oldest. I don't want to be the oldest!"

Linda is 10 months older than me and I'll be 68 in October!  So I said to Linda, "Hopefully you and Jo Ann have at least 20 years left. I don't want to be the oldest either!"

• Sad 1

I am sorry for your loss. I know where you fished. Do you know my grandparents had a summer place at Solomon's Island.  Still in my family. When I was a kid we thought it was boringggggggg.  Never wanted to go there. Well except for the general store that had penny candy, a one-armed bandit and an old fashion Coke machine with little bottles. My great grandfather used to send us there for cigarettes and gave us a dollar not to tell. pa's MomMom. (Great grandmother). He was a funny old Irishman.  Took up with the Quakers to marry her,  but definitely did his own thing. He taught me to play the fiddle on the porch in the evening. I have fond memories of a family pick up band. Everyone played or tried or cooked food. Well that is my memory of south of Annapolis. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1