You or Your Spouse/Better Half

Razors Edge

From a fitness standpoint, who is in better shape - you or your partner?  

My wife is pretty fit and does a lot of gym classes, yoga, and stretching, and a smattering of jogging.  I ride a bunch, don't do any stretching, rare amounts of yoga, no running, and lots of walking.  I'd say we are pretty evenly matched.  As a guy, I have all the normal advantages we get like extra strength or size, and as a gal, she gets the normal chick advantages like being more flexible and lighter in weight.

In shared activities - like hiking or tennis - we both tend to last as long as each other such that we don't end up with a "let's keep going" vs "no, I'm pooped" argument. Luckily for us, we were also both out-of-shape at the same time, so even then we matched pretty well.

Tom 

• Heart 1

Me. WoJSTL does half marathons but still has lost some of her fitness since she retired. She use to do a lot of lifting as a nurse and had good upper body strength but not so much now. She's been going to a gym some and working out on machines but not nearly like the efforts when she was working.

Me...no contest. While she was very active walker with Fitbit averaging 28 miles per week and losing 25-30 lbs, had to stop a couple months ago. Remarked last night that hasn't gained any weight back, so happy about that

She is scheduled for knee replacement surgery Sept 25th which she put off for at least a decade. Lucky she doesn't require both replaced at the same time as over-compensation was beginning to impact her other knee. Trip to Europe was a pain as I had to carry her luggage, and she held onto my arm for stability as she never fully recovers or lacks confidence after the concussion/fall 5 years ago. Also, avoids steps due to knee, but was pure torture with tarmac boarding at Gatwick and Geneva.

Me for sure. Due to medical issues my wife was not very active growing up and never played any organized sports.  She's become much more active as an adult and is a strong cyclist and can walk for miles but has no eye hand coordination or balance. 

The other night my son was buying ice cream for my daughter, her fiancé and his GF.  I flicked my ATM card at him at about 15' away and he snared it with no effort.  My wife said how do you guys do that!?!? My son the smart ass says like this and flicks the card back at my wife and it drills her in the neck.  Sorry mom forgot you can't catch....   The drawback of being the klutz of the family...

WoKzoo.  She is the runner.  I pretend to cycle sometimes.

I have been involved in some form of athletics all my life.  WoKzoo took up running for exercise several years ago and has not looked back.  She has no training program.  She just runs - no watch to time herself - nothing.  She BQed her first marathon ever and has won or placed in her AG in most races she has run since.  She doesn't care.  She just runs.

• Heart 3

I’d say it’s a draw. She’s tiny, 5’3@110lbs. I’m 6’2 @210.

she runs better than I do but I ride faster than her plus I way out climb her. 

• Awesome 1

At this time, me. 

But it's not a fair comparison. He's 75.  About 3 yrs. ago, he would have a been a stronger cyclist than I, by 10 times and before that 20 times more than I.  He cycled across Canada several different trips on his own. Includes across the U.S. from Pacific coast to Chicago, etc.

I've always had greater body flexibility than he.. which believe me, is not saying much.  I just can do certain simple stretching exercises that he can't.  

But neither of us are any good in weightlifting, explosive sprint-like running/tennis, etc....'cause neither of us have done it as an adult.

Due to medical issues, it's easily me (I). HoSmudge was strong like bull and could pitch slow pitch softball real well, but he was never really fit. Now he's happy when he can survive a day dinkin' around at camp. (Of course for him that includes filling two corn feeders that he has made really tall to keep the bears from destroying them)

Me. Growing up I was always active. Walking and cycling were the only means to get around. When I quit smoking, I took up cycling. That was 30 years ago. My wife has chondromalacia in both knees (no cartilage). She needs to have replacement surgery but has been putting it off for 20 years as the artificial knees are only good for 15-20 years and can be replaced once. She also has psoriatic arthritis and gout so she isn't active at all.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:15 AM, Old#7 said:

Me. Growing up I was always active. Walking and cycling were the only means to get around. When I quit smoking, I took up cycling. That was 30 years ago. My wife has chondromalacia in both knees (no cartilage). She needs to have replacement surgery but has been putting it off for 20 years as the artificial knees are only good for 15-20 years and can be replaced once. She also has psoriatic arthritis and gout so she isn't active at all.

Sounds like me, I was told at 18 that I would probably have new knees at 35.  Jokes on those bastards, I am 54 now, and my left leg kind of sucks, but I know a lot of folks who have it worse.