The Winter of 2018/2019????

Razors Edge

Has there been a "Farmer's Almanac" sort of prediction yet for this upcoming Winter?  I really hope we get a mild one, but we have ALREADY hit our annual precipitation "normal" with 4 months left in the year.  If that precipitation is snow (or worse, ICE!), this is going to be a sheoty Winter in my neck of the woods.  Should I try to lock in some time near a ski resort for January/February?????

Tom

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I heard something about the winter prediction being mild. SE mitten got lots of snow last winter which allowed me to fat around in it :) I'm good w/ mild one though too.

And I am ALWAYS super-happy when Winter goes where Winter is wanted.  I would love to see record snowfalls in the Rockies or in the Sierras or up in Stowe VT and Snowshoe WV.  But down in my ill-prepared for ice and snow neck of the woods, I want mild, mild, mild. :D

Tom

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, dennis said:

Hoping for a big one here. I bought a ski pass and plan to ride my fatbike a lot.

We avg 500" in the mountains. Last winter, most of the resorts had low snowfall, but it was gangbusters here. I skied one weekend when received over 60 inches of powder. 

I'm hoping you get POUNDED out there.  We skied in Keystone in Jan/Feb 2017, and it was epic.  Significant snow accumulation every night, so it was powdery bliss every morning.  With my friends now living in Silverthorne, we are getting psyched up for a visit there this winter.  We are just crossing our fingers that the freaking tunnel stays open and no truck crashes happen like last time ?

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm hoping you get POUNDED out there.  We skied in Keystone in Jan/Feb 2017, and it was epic.  Significant snow accumulation every night, so it was powdery bliss every morning.  With my friends now living in Silverthorne, we are getting psyched up for a visit there this winter.  We are just crossing our fingers that the freaking tunnel stays open and no truck crashes happen like last time ?

Tom

The issue here is the pass. It closes regularly. Two years ago you almost could not get here other than air. The pass was closed for a week and the canyon was closed to the south. Only the northern route was open and just barely. They announced they could not keep up with the plowing and it was travel at your own risk. I chose not to drive that winter. Walk or bike only.

We had snow on the pass this June during a bike race.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Has there been a "Farmer's Almanac" sort of prediction yet for this upcoming Winter?  I really hope we get a mild one, but we have ALREADY hit our annual precipitation "normal" with 4 months left in the year.  If that precipitation is snow (or worse, ICE!), this is going to be a sheoty Winter in my neck of the woods.  Should I try to lock in some time near a ski resort for January/February?????

Tom

During the 5 years I "lived" in VA Beach it was very rare to see snow or ice.  There would be one or two 1" storms a year and even those would lock the state down for a day.  Things seem to have changed since the 60's and early 70's.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Hoping for a big one here. I bought a ski pass and plan to ride my fatbike a lot.

We avg 500" in the mountains. Last winter, most of the resorts had low snowfall, but it was gangbusters here. I skied one weekend when received over 60 inches of powder. 

You sound crazy, but a nice kind of crazy that I like. I am not an off roader, purely a road rider really, so snow only fubars things for me cycling wise, and transport wise, since bicycles are my only vehicles. Having said that though I will go out every day whatever the conditions.

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

You sound crazy, but a nice kind of crazy that I like. I am not an off roader, purely a road rider really, so snow only fubars things for me cycling wise, and transport wise, since bicycles are my only vehicles. Having said that though I will go out every day whatever the conditions.

Studded tires are the answer. I ride year round. Studded tires handle the snow and ice.

54 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

For me here there’s never enough to justify them.

My problem exactly :(

I'm an all 12 months cyclist, and the only things that keep me off my bike are ice or deep snow.  I looked into studded tires, but my challenge is the regular road I ride on even when it is snowy or icy.  I would go nuts destroying a relatively expensive set of studded tires riding on clear pavement, and since the snow/ice only linger on my path to the Metro (commute) for a couple of days and I usually have the work from home option on snowy or icy days, it never makes financial sense. Add in the hassle of either swapping wheelsets OR getting a dedicated snow bike, and it sadly is never gonna be an option in the fickle DC suburbs.

But if we move somewhere that the snow stays around, then studded tires it is!

Tom 

As a scientist formally trained in statistics, I know there's no correlation, but my area is "due" for a lot of snow after virtually none the past two winters.  Maybe mother nature was waiting for my shoulder to heal after it was injured during the Winter of 2016-7 and recovering from surgery during the Winter of 2017-8.  It's ready to go to work this coming winter!

For the past two winters, I have NOT had to shovel show off my sidewalks at all - though it sometimes meant a little broom sweeping and letting the sun take care of the rest. But at least one 10" to 30" snow occurs most winters in Central Maryland and Global Warming is actually supposed to increase snowfall by providing more occasions where warm moist air collides with cold air.

18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And I am ALWAYS super-happy when Winter goes where Winter is wanted.  I would love to see record snowfalls in the Rockies or in the Sierras or up in Stowe VT and Snowshoe WV.  But down in my ill-prepared for ice and snow neck of the woods, I want mild, mild, mild. :D

Tom

I agree. It’s nothing but hills between me and my workplace. Our roads get bad, quick. I love the snow, but not when I have to travel to work.