8/25 miles & such

bikeman564™

56.4 near Saranac Lake. Great day for a ride. The mt in the pic has a road to the top. I climbed it a couple years ago. 8 miles@10%. 

EB8F6679-EF11-4100-93E8-FACBA55FF6E0.jpeg

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

201.8 miles, the Carmel Valley Double Century.  toughest double I have ever ridden

I weighed myself before and after my century this weekend and was down 6 pounds of water/salt weight.  I think I would turn to dust over 200 miles.  How much do you lose and how long does it take you to recover?

Tom

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I weighed myself before and after my century this weekend and was down 6 pounds of water/salt weight.  I think I would turn to dust over 200 miles.  How much do you lose and how long does it take you to recover?

Tom

I didnt weigh myself yesterday or today.  I will tomorrow but I am sure I am retaining water now, for muscles to rebuild. I stayed fairly well hydrated Saturday, and did an ok job of eating during the ride.  I am guessing I probably lost 5-8 pounds. 

I walked 4.8 miles at the bike shop. Crazy busy day. we sold a lot of bikes. A couple came in for her. She wanted a road bike to keep up with him. Discussion learned that they want carbon, 105 components and hydraulic disc brakes. Budget $2,000. They were looking at the Specialized Diverge, thought that was what she wanted. Showed them several bikes, we didn't have any 52 cm frames and it's in between model years. We can order her dream bike but they want it for Sunday's Reston Century. I told them they were being difficult. By now it is too late to go to one of our other locations for a 52 cm. She test rode a Diverge and a Trek Domane but a 54cm not a 52. I pulled a Roubaix Comp in a 52. Solid black with Ultegra. One test ride and she was sold. $3,399 was a little over budget but they took it. I saw her Sunday, she was a happy camper. 

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

I walked 4.8 miles at the bike shop. Crazy busy day. we sold a lot of bikes. A couple came in for her. She wanted a road bike to keep up with him. Discussion learned that they want carbon, 105 components and hydraulic disc brakes. Budget $2,000. They were looking at the Specialized Diverge, thought that was what she wanted. Showed them several bikes, we didn't have any 52 cm frames and it's in between model years. We can order her dream bike but they want it for Sunday's Reston Century. I told them they were being difficult. By now it is too late to go to one of our other locations for a 52 cm. She test rode a Diverge and a Trek Domane but a 54cm not a 52. I pulled a Roubaix Comp in a 52. Solid black with Ultegra. One test ride and she was sold. $3,399 was a little over budget but they took it. I saw her Sunday, she was a happy camper. 

Ah, the classic "we don't have that cheaper model in your size, but we have the next level up if you want to try it out" bit :whistle:

Did the wife contact you ahead of time to make sure you knew which bike she REALLY wanted?

And have you sold the sweet bright blue 56cm Allez yet????  So cool.

90018-52_ALLEZ_SPRINT-COMP_TLTNT-TARBLK_HERO.thumb.jpg.15b92971d2ada011043ec6bba07cc948.jpg

Tom

On 8/27/2018 at 7:46 AM, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I checked yesterday and my weight was the same as last Friday. normally I am a couple of pounds heavier after a double.  I have heard it is due to either being dehydrated somehwhat after the ride, or to muscles retaining fluid while rebuilding.  or a combination of both

Just now, az_cyclist said:

I checked yesterday and my weight was the same as last Friday. normally I am a couple of pounds heavier after a double.  I have heard it is due to either being dehydrated somehwhat after the ride, or to muscles retaining fluid while rebuilding.  or a combination of both

I was back on track this morning with my weight. So it took Mon and Tues to get up to normal - mainly drinking enough to replace my lost water via sweat.  I really can't drink enough ever :( on a ride - one 24 oz bottle hour or so.

They did offer pickle juice and pickle spears on the ride, but I can't say that helped much.  My shorts were salt crusted at the end as well.  I even get congested following some harder rides in the heat.

Tom

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was back on track this morning with my weight. So it took Mon and Tues to get up to normal - mainly drinking enough to replace my lost water via sweat.  I really can't drink enough ever :( on a ride - one 24 oz bottle hour or so.

They did offer pickle juice and pickle spears on the ride, but I can't say that helped much.  My shorts were salt crusted at the end as well.  I even get congested following some harder rides in the heat.

Tom

24 oz per hour is not bad.  Is it sport drink?  for a century or double I have 2 water bottles and my 70 oz camelback.  in one bottle is Hammer Perpetuem, and Hammer Heed in the other.  I switch off between the 2.  by the last 50 miles I am usually just drinking water. Depending on how much climbing there is I start taking 3 Hammer Enduralytes at each sag stop. on a double those are usually 35-40 miles apart