So the ghost peppers are in, and they are pretty darn ass-kicking

Ralphie

6 minutes ago, Further said:

The Carolina's  ?

Yup!  Saw some at a garden center after I had already bought the ghost pepper plants and figured I didn't need too many super hot peppers.  Good thing because of course there are a million ghost peppers, just like there were habaneros when I planted those years ago.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yup!  Saw some at a garden center after I had already bought the ghost pepper plants and figured I didn't need too many super hot peppers.  Good thing because of course there are a million ghost peppers, just like there were habaneros when I planted those years ago.

The guy at work drys & grinds them into powder, looks like paprika but packs way to much for me. 

• 4 months later...

Back in the 90's, my brother bought his first house and wanted to plant a small veggie garden like me, his big brother.  He also knew I ordered seeds of some unique stuff like Polish Tomatoes, hard-to-find varieties of Bell Peppers and Brussels Sprouts, etc. and grew them in peat pots in my south-facing bow window before planting time.

So he asked me to find the hottest pepper I could find and grow a dozen of them for him.  At the time, the hottest one I could find was "Habanero C" - now also the name of a computer programming model.

So I began phoning some seed companies and was told each time that Habenero C could only be purchased by licensed commercial outfits.  Around the 4th company I tried, an automatic answering system said something like, "Press one for home buyers, two for commercial buyers."  I pressed "2" and got my seeds without being asked for a license.

The year was 1997. I remember because one afternoon, a bunch of us at my brother's house were observing Comet Hale-Bopp in the sky in the late afternoon.  It was summer and my brother brought out a basket of his first-picked, ripe, Habanero C Peppers.

A friend, a giant of a guy named Joe but who was nicknamed "Lubs" (for "lbs" or "pounds"), said he'd try one.  My brother gave him a pepper, he took one good bite, and we thought he was going to die.  He writhed in his chair and had trouble inhaling air. We didn't know if milk worked but we knew there were problems with water so we gave him milk to drink.  After a few minutes he began to recover, saying that was by far the hottest thing he'd ever eaten.

Ever since, my sister-in-law won't let my brother plant hot peppers!

I think the trick with the really hot peppers is you are not supposed to eat them, use them to make a sauce. I couldn't eat the Habaneros that I grew but I always use the Habanero sauce at the Mexican restaurant. I should have made my own hot sauce. I canned some of the peppers and kept them on hand in case one of those "they don't make a pepper too hot for me" types comes by but none did so I eventually tossed them in the trash.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I no longer try to push my limits with hot peppers. I like medium strength jalapenos in cooking, chopped fresh ones mixed with other stuff, the really mild jalapenos taste like they were neutered against their will. Habanero sauce can be tasty but I have to be carefull.

We grew a bumper crop of jalapenos one year and made a bunch of salsa. My wife lost all the skin off her fingers just from chopping the peppers. I guess she is sensitive.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I still say jalapenos don;t get the respect they deserve.  Some of them are really hot, but others are total duds.  Weird!

I agree.  It is weird.  I would expect some variation -- but I notice it with jalepenos the most.  Must be different agriculturists?  Different growing climates?

Just now, Dottles said:

I agree.  It is weird.  I would expect some variation -- but I notice it with jalepenos the most.  Must be different agriculturists?  Different growing climates?

I get a wide variation in one bag, which I assume is from the same field, so it must be something extremely localized.

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

There must be a jalepeno board out there somewhere that we can log our complaints/concerns.  Right??

brb!  Uncle Google knows all!

Well, shit - that did not google well!  I sense nothing but bullshit.  Let's apply for a government research grant to finger it oot!

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

No doubt. I'd be afraid to masturbate for weeks if I touched those. You heard what it did to Further's wife's fingers.

I used to grow hot peppers. Let's just say hot pepper fingers didn't help my marriage...

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I work with a true peckerhead, he drys and grinds the real hot stuff, Ghost & I believe he was talking about Scorpion peppers. He turns it into a fine powder & then tempers it with cayenne. He calls it shake, it looks like paprika sitting on the table all innocent & warm & fuzzy...A 2 ounce shaker full last's for months on a table used by 50 or so maintenance guys.....

He draws the line at the Carolina Reaper though.    

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Further said:

I work with a true peckerhead, he drys and grinds the real hot stuff, Ghost & I believe he was talking about Scorpion peppers. He turns it into a fine powder & then tempers it with cayenne. He calls it shake, it looks like paprika sitting on the table all innocent & warm & fuzzy...A 2 ounce shaker full last's for months on a table used by 50 or so maintenance guys..... 

I want to try it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Who the hell does that with a new to them pepper? Nibble, man!

You'd have to know Lubs.  In his younger days he did all kinds of shit at the spur of the moment.  He was/is so big and strong (a little over 6' tall and maybe 250 lbs without much fat) maybe he felt invulnerable.  He had a job with a construction company and where they normally had two guys carrying one girder to the site. He carried 2 at a time by himself.

My mother's house had tree roots grow into the sewage pipe as it traveled through the yard and into the connector below the street and it got to the point where the pipes had to be replaced.  A county water & sewer guy kindly came out, told my brother and me exactly what new pipes we needed but we had to dig a 6 feet deep trench between the house and street in rock-hard clay.  Lubs was temporarily out of work, so I hired him for $125/day (this was around 1990) to dig the trench with my tools.  I had a virtually brand new, heavy-duty pick ax and by the time Lubs was done five days later it was worn down many inches on each side and I had to throw it and a worn down shovel away!

I'm glad he was/is my friend.  Another friend, who unfortunately moved to Florida, is nicknamed "Tank" and is about as big as Lubs but around 6'6". When those two walked into a strange, shady-neighborhood bar with my brother and me (both 6'3" but not as massive as the other two), we never worried about getting harassed by anyone!

• Awesome 1