Are you at that point?

Prophet Zacharia

In your career, where you can’t even feign enthusiasm for your senior leadership initiatives anymore? I still like my job, it’s the leadership that has me rolling my eyes. Yet as a level of management myself, I have to walk a fine line. I have 4 years until I can completely step out from my administrative role. Then I can look to taking increasing time off and coast to retirement as a basic employee, away from the lunacy at the top of the pyramid.

Anymore I just do what I'm told. 2 years to go.

Last year the military gave out a $50 million contract to a new company to take some of our databases "to the cloud". New company came in and said that we better start looking for jobs as they were going to automate everything. They never bothered to ask us how things worked. We could tell things were going to go badly.

A few months later they gave the new company the lion's share of a nearly $1 billion dollar contract. People I worked with started finding new jobs left and right but not with the new company. They said that they didn't need us.

Congress found out about the contract and started to do some investigating. Seems that the company has been over-promising and under-delivering. They hadn't even completed half of the $50 million deliverables. They said it was due to them not knowing the scope of the programs. (Remember I said earlier that they didn't bother to ask).

Well the $1 billion contract got taken out of their hands and their $50 million contract expired and wasn't renewed. The problem is that we have lost a lot of people and our contract runs out on 1 October 2018. They can't seem to get a new contract signed. They keep telling us that it's all done except for signing. They have been saying that for weeks. More people have left in the last 2 weeks. 

My shop is 50% manned and the guy who knows the most is talking about leaving. I don't need that stress and will retire if he leaves.

Upper management sure has messed things up even when we tried to tell them.

It sometimes is hard to agree with executive direction but I'm at a place now where I'm making the policy and not having too much direction on the how's.   Getting people to buy in is tough and I'm faced with getting people to buy in to change.

I guess I'm at a different place...

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I guess I'm at a different place...

I know you just changed jobs. I think that can have a major reboot in your attitude. I too looked into a change a few years back. I came to the conclusion that I can’t do what i am doing now and what I love if I change jobs, and I can’t get the compensation I am getting now if I move elsewhere. So I am stuck in a job I love, getting paid well, with senior administrators who don’t know what’s real. I did some reassessments with colleagues I respect a lot, we’re all in the same boat regarding our thoughts about the  competency of our leaders, so... just ride it out.

Guess it depends on how you define leadership. If I didn't have the boss I ha e I would have strangled the nearest guest we had in the store long ago and walked out. 

Now if your talking the corporate Schmucks that keep messing with my job all day long because they don't know what they're doing. Yeah I'm done with them

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

In your career, where you can’t even feign enthusiasm for your senior leadership initiatives anymore? I still like my job, it’s the leadership that has me rolling my eyes. Yet as a level of management myself, I have to walk a fine line. I have 4 years until I can completely step out from my administrative role. Then I can look to taking increasing time off and coast to retirement as a basic employee, away from the lunacy at the top of the pyramid.

Why yes, yes I am.

Took me 4 years as a research leader of an underfunded research station to know that I was ready to make a lateral transfer back into a full-time research position.  Luckily, I had administrative support in making the transfer. Best move I ever made, and it made the next 18 years very enjoyable.

I may have misinterpreted your question.  I never had much problem with upper management, but just enjoyed being a researcher much more than a teacher or administrator.

43 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I may have misinterpreted your question.  I never had much problem with upper management, but just enjoyed being a researcher much more than a teacher or administrator.

No, that’s the gist of it. I know I need to give up my administrative role to be happy. New President and his ways over the past few years have changed the culture of the place where i’d been happy with for the previous 15+ years. I have an escape planned that will help meet a goal of the company, so it will keep me in good favor with the bosses and make it seem like I am making a sacrifice for the good of the company. And it will be income-neutral, at worst. It’s just developing very slowly.