The Official 2nd Round Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread!

Nate

a "homer" is somebody who is never impartial, sees everything through Black and Gold colored glasses, never sees the bad in their home team. Their players do no wrong, their team is never to blame...

you know, like how I am with the Penguins :)

Ahh, nah, I'm not a homer.  Hockey is a tough sport for tough guys.  I think Marchand deals out far too many cheap shots - I surprised he hasn't been beaten to a pulp yet.  I think he talks a lot of trash and gets under your skin, that I'm OK with.  Cheap shots are cheap, and when the score allows, I'm all for retaliating.

that's big talk from a sckrawny idiot 3000 miles away :P

so you guys stole a game at the Forum. so did we. Then we beat the stuffing out of them at our place, THEN...we had to go back to the Forum in Montreal.

you guys are going 7 games. You have to come back to the forum. You won't close them out there. The refs won't let you. Remember your own team's folklore... "Death, Taxes, and the First penalty at the Forum"

Then in game 7 anything can happen. That's how a fast pesky team beats a better team in the second round

but it really doesn't matter. The Habs can spare you the indignity of being housed by Our Pens in the Eastern Finals

As I've clearly already proven, I don't follow the history of the sport nor the teams.  What I have seen this season from the Bruins and what I have seen this series with Montreal, we are clearly the better team.  There is no way they should have taken the two games they got so far.  If (and we should) get to the next round, the Penguins are doomed.

I ran across this in a news story talking about how awesome the Penguins really and truly are...

"  ..despite playing two former Vezina Award-winning goalies in Columbus' Sergei Bobrovsky and the Rangers' Henrik Lundqvist. Montreal is the only Eastern Conference team scoring more goals per game than the Penguins during the playoffs."

Yes, its called a Constitutional Democracy. Real Americans recognize the government even if they don't agree with it. And when we recognize somebody as being with the government, we start shootin after em.

oh yea?  well we're all set to line up and shake hands tonight and you clowns are crowing about evening up a series with the stupid Habs

Listen, if you somehow manage to pull it together and beat Monteal, we'll show you chuckleheads how to play hockey sometime around the end of next week, ok? :P

oh yea?  well we're all set to line up and shake hands tonight and you clowns are crowing about evening up a series with the stupid Habs

Listen, if you somehow manage to pull it together and beat Monteal, we'll show you chuckleheads how to play hockey sometime around the end of next week, ok? :P

I really resent this kind of talk.  I believe we should be referred to as chowdaheads.

you need to get with the program

I'll be putting you chowderheads through the boards if you're lucky enough to get by the Habs (...better, Wheels? :P )

...putting you through the boards spiritually, that is

as I have explained to every moran, idiot, city slicker and hippy for many years now, here in PA we are a part of our teams and our teams are a part of our lives. When I say "we" I mean "we the Penguins" 

you're just jealous because Arizona sucks when it comes to sports while we in PA win Superbowls, World Series Championships, Stanley Cups, have great players to root for all the time, have awesome franchises that do things right (not like your mob of left coast hosers)

face it, if you were Pennsylvanian, you'd be so much better off than you are right now you wouldn't know what to do with yourself

(...better, Wheels? :P )

Close, you need to drop the er and replace it with an a or ah.

chowdaheads

We are getting those damn electronic signs all over our highways.  They have lots of useless info like SNow, Drive Careful.  Gee, thanks.

Today I saw:
If you change lanes
User Yah Blinkah

well, Blowsox, I know that you want to hate, so knock yourself out. :whistle:  I think its funny how you tell me I'm so full of hate, and yet it really looks for all the world like you're the one who is consumed with hate. You even hated on me on my Bicycle fix up day thread.

[back to hockey]

the Pens are playing a dangerous team now. Its not the same Rangers team we took a 3-1 series lead from

Marty St Louis's mom died. Marty, after consulting with his family in Canada, returns to play game 5. The Rangers play the game for Marty. This was beyond hockey. This was real emotion

Then yesterday was Mother's Day. Marty St Louis had his Dad at the game in New York

Now we have a game 7, and anything can happen in game 7

• Heart 1

The refs are going to be calling everything the Canadiens' way tonight.

I think the Rangers have done enough to be able to live in NYC this summer if they lose the series in 7

We're the desperate team now.

well, Blowsox, I know that you want to hate, so knock yourself out. :whistle: I think its funny how you tell me I'm so full of hate, and yet it really looks for all the world like you're the one who is consumed with hate. You even hated on me on my Bicycle fix up day thread.

Let's see Nate, you once wished that I would get hit by another car, and have called me a faggot(and other names) many times.

Yep, I guess I hold a grudge.

Back to hockey.

The refs will continue to call the games the Habs way, just like they have for 4 of the 5 games so far(32-40). For the most part, the refs have been good at ignoring the diving both teams are guilty of doing. Game 1 was ridiculous though.

I thought the Pens would take it in 6 games originally, but now it looks like they are done.

so everybody gets to play a game 7, eh? 

my Pens don't look so bad afterall :P

Marty St Louis's mom dies and the Rangers become a team with a mission...the Habs follow the same script with you as they did with us in 2010. Watch out for game 7. What I saw last night looked like the way to beat the Bruins.

so we get to find out if Our Pens can win game 7 or if the team is going to get blown up in the off season

I sure hope they win. I like Coach Dan a lot :D

its impossible to close out Montreal at the Forum

the refs won't let you and the pucks don't bounce right

look at how many crossbars you guys hit last night. I was practicing, so I didn't really watch the game, but I checked in on breaks and I saw two that got by Price and hit the post

That's been our luck this whole series.  It's hard for me to watch unbiased, but I think they skate a lot better than us, but we shoot a lot better and have had a lot more scoring chances.  I think we've hit a post / crossbar about 15 times so far.  If 1/2 of those had gone in we would have swept them.

this is why hockey is different. Pucks can bounce funny, sometimes the shots just don't go in, goalies can steal games...the best team isn't always going to win

that's the one thing with Pens fans that I don't get. People don't seem to understand that the 2nd round isn't a "gimmie"

we're looking at 2 fantastic series. I love the storyline in ours with Marty St Louis. That's right out of the movies. Teams on the brink, mom dies, everybody lays it on the line for Marty, then on Mother's Day (of all days to play game 6 :rolleyes: ) he scores the first goal to send them to game 7

I watched a save last night by a defenseman for the Habs where he used his closed fist on his stick to knock the puck away from the goal right on the goal line.  It was incredbile he could do that while falling down.  

Hope the Pens can produce a win tonight and the Bruins and Kings can win tomorrow.

It would not bother me for the Canadiens to win, as I think Canada is really the home of the NHL and the Cup needs to be filled with LaBatts or Molsen now and again.

you know if he puts his hand on the puck there in the blue paint, its a penalty shot, too

I saw a replay of that save after the game. Wow

the news from Pittsburgh is that the Pens better win tonight or we're going to blow the whole team up and start over. From what I understand, Mario sat with Sid after the last game and "ownership" (meaning Mario and Ron Burkle) are furious over the way this Rangers series turned.

I like Dan Bylsma  a lot, but the fans here really rake him over the coals.

the news from Pittsburgh is that the Pens better win tonight or we're going to blow the whole team up and start over. From what I understand, Mario sat with Sid after the last game and "ownership" (meaning Mario and Ron Burkle) are furious over the way this Rangers series turned.

that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last year ended with a major choke job against Boston, and this year hasn't been great. Honestly the past 4 years have been very disappointing once they get to the postseason.

this is what I'm saying...getting to the conference finals is not a "choke"

the problem is people get wound up in the team, and when they don't go all the way to a championship, the whole season is a bust. That's just nuts

last I checked, you guys got beat in the cup finals...was that a "choke"?

the year we got knocked out in the first round by the hated Flyers sucked. that was different

But the Stanley Cup playoffs isn't a cakewalk. Instead of enjoying a fantastic 7 game series (like when we played a 7 game classic with the Caps in 2009) all the Pittsburgh press is talking like we caved in. The series dynamic changed when Marty St Louis lost is mother. Then we had to play game 6 on freakin Mother's day of all days....I say you have to give credit to the opposition sometimes

this is what I'm saying...getting to the conference finals is not a "choke"

the problem is people get wound up in the team, and when they don't go all the way to a championship, the whole season is a bust. That's just nuts

last I checked, you guys got beat in the cup finals...was that a "choke"?

the year we got knocked out in the first round by the hated Flyers sucked. that was different

But the Stanley Cup playoffs isn't a cakewalk. Instead of enjoying a fantastic 7 game series (like when we played a 7 game classic with the Caps in 2009) all the Pittsburgh press is talking like we caved in. The series dynamic changed when Marty St Louis lost is mother. Then we had to play game 6 on freakin Mother's day of all days....I say you have to give credit to the opposition sometimes

getting swept in the conference finals the way you did IS a choke job.

If the Bruins got swept in the finals, I would have said they choked. They did choke in game 6.

Pittsburgh has been a great regular season team, but they have been playing poorly in the postseason for years. I'm not saying you blow up the team, but they need to try some changes. Doing the same old thing, isn't working.

We've been to the playoffs every year since 2007. We won the Cup in 2009 with this group and we've been to the Eastern finals 3 of the last 6 years and are 1 game away from getting there again this year.

A lot of NHL cities would kill for that kind of postseason record.

teams don't go to the Cup final every year 

yea, aside from that goal, we look pretty good.

We get to see what Our Pens are all about now. We're only down by one shot, and to quote Bruce Boudreaux, "surely the fuck we can figure this out" :D