When are you coming to Vancouver BC?

shootingstar

We spent about six hours there last summer at the end of our Alaska trip.  It did seem much like an American city to me (but a nice one, not one of the crappy ones).  I believe in my trip recap here, I noted that the bicycle and pedestrian facilities were impressive.

People were also very friendly.  We were downtown looking for a place for lunch, and a guy was giving us directions to a place he recommended - then he decided he'd just walk us there.  Another woman gave us detailed instructions on using the underground kiosk to get transit passes - at first we thought she worked for the transit agency, but no, just a helpful woman on her way to work.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Does CAnada seem any different than US to you as a tourist? 

Vancouver versus Seattle? No huge difference.  Versus NYC or LA or Greenville? Yes.

CAnada vs the US is like Massachusetts vs Louisiana - many strong similarities, but many obvious differences.  Many parts of Canada or the US could trade places and no one would notice.

Tom

• Heart 1

Yes, in Vancouver a lot.  It is my favorite major metropolitan area in the country.  I would only want to live there if I could live right downtown so I did not have to drive.  And even then it would be iffy.  I am not a big city guy, and a few days here and there are enough for me to want to head back to the island

• Heart 1

Never been to Vancouver on a pleasure trip, but been in the area a few hundred times. Mostly Langley, Delta, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond,Nanaimo, Duncan. For a number of years, I did a regular run to the coast every two weeks, including crossing to the island. For the first year or so, I would catch the barge to Nanaimo at Coal Harbour until CP Ships was taken over by Seaspan and I would sail from Tilbury.

When I used to have to go to Coal Harbour, I remember driving down Hastings Street and seeing walking skeletons. Very sad.

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Vancouver BC is an hour and a half away.  Too far!!  Plus I'm not allowed into your country @shootingstar.  You'll have to come down to Seattle.

I've been down to Seattle at least 10 times in past 15 yrs. We've cycled from Vancouver to Seattle..took 2 days.  We've enjoyed Seattle ….by the waterfront, Burke-Gillman trail, Capitol HIll area, etc.  I would like to go to Tacoma again to visit the glass museum again. Was there about 15 yrs. ago.

• Heart 1