The Good Place and the nature of humor (spoiler alert)

late

The Good Place is a clever comedy. It's about 4 humans that have died, and they wake up in what they are told is The Good Place. Except it's not, it's The Bad Place. What they are experiencing is an elaborate ruse designed to get them to torture each other. And it works, for a while.

Eleanor is so self centered she was some sort of sociopath when she was alive. Chidi was a moral philosopher who was incapable of making a decision on anything important. Tehanni is the 4th person, and she was a poor little rich girl. She has the best back story, but you will see that when you watch it.

Best way to describe Jason is that he died in a safe. He and his pal thought they could rob a pizza place by dropping the safe off, and then Jason could get out, after it closed, and then rob the place. Except he couldn't get out. In fact, the moment his pal came into the pizza place, he handled the situation so ineptly that after 5 seconds, the girl at the counter picked up the phone and called the cops. They didn't think to drill an air hole, get the combination of the safe, arrange for a way for Jason to get out by himself, and... they didn't realise the cash would be deposited when the place closed for the night.

The Good Place is a comedy. But it's also a paean to the human spirit. They were deeply flawed people, but when faced with a seemingly insuperable challenge, they team up and win.

Humor can be a form of aggression. But it's a mock charge, a comedian is working his heart out seeking your acceptance. To create a bond, a communal moment.

I would not have thought it possible, but this is a comedy that gets into moral philosophy. Eleanor needs lessons in ethics, and the thinking of Kant, Kierkegaard, Plato, and Hume make an appearance. Which is just the teensiest bit subversive.

A comedy of manners that questions the meaning of life, and concludes all we really have is each other.

If you are serious about religion, this show isn't going to work for you. Underneath it all, part of the message of the show is that the afterlife, and by inference, religion, is just metaphor.

I am a bit flabbergasted it works. A comedy with Kierkegaard? C'mon...

But the second season made a believer (sorry) out of me.

This thread essentially ruins the show for anyone who hasn't watched it.  I think you could create on with a more general description, and let folks watch the show and enjoy the story as it unfolds.

BTW, I loved the show and wonder what they can do for the next one.  I do hate the Jason character - but maybe they want us to hate him?  Too over the top and oddly acted.

Tom

It says spoiler right there at the top.

All the characters are caricatures, an idiot, a sociopath, a neurotic that can't make a decision, and a poor little rich girl.

That's the point, they are helpless, and hopeless, on their own, and damn near invincible when they work together.

I have to say that I love it and it is very different in that it introduces philosophical ideas and shows them as applicable to our everyday lives. It's refreshing that some writers are willing to break out of the usual format into something which demands intelligent thought. I seem to recall thinking the same thing about "The Big Bang Theory".

I described the plot to the wife, who had watched a couple minutes and gone meh, and now we're Netflixing the first disc to give it  a try.

The only problem with binge watching is suddenly you have 362 days until season 3 comes out.

Arrggghhh!

I've been binge-watching "The Bureau" on Amazon Prime and it's really excellent. It's a French series about the French secret service and as usual being French, it focuses on the human aspects involved and contains many valuable insights into the human condition.

36 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I've been binge-watching "The Bureau" on Amazon Prime and it's really excellent. It's a French series about the French secret service and as usual being French, it focuses on the human aspects involved and contains many valuable insights into the human condition.

I haven't got the Amazon or anything but share your taste for the European dramas, especially the French and Belgian ones, the show on bbc4 Spiral is as you state, as much about the real lives of the crooks and cops involved as it is about the crimes and procedures. And they smoke a lot, I like this, and they swear, and they have sex and don't mind showing it.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

That's not Prime, but Sundance, and they charge extra for it.

They get too much of my money as it is.

19 hours ago, late said:

That's not Prime, but Sundance, and they charge extra for it.

They get too much of my money as it is.

Ballocks!

The world does not begin and end in the US.....and here it is Prime.....right up to the third season when it becomes Sundance and you have to pay.....the bastards. I've bought a DVD of the third season instead.

46 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Ballocks!

The world does not begin and end in the US.....and here it is Prime.....right up to the third season when it becomes Sundance and you have to pay.....the bastards. I've bought a DVD of the third season instead.

True.  Prime is a very different product here in Canada too. 

23 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

Spiral was wonderful and I loved it and for a few weeks I too wore a black leather jacket, smoked and swore a lot.......but had no luck with the sex....it's dispiriting. ?

It's funny you say that, but I record it to watch, and I like to get into the right mood to fully enrole myself, so to this end I line up an espresso, a dram, a piece of 99% chocolate, a smoke (ideally a Disque Bleu or Galoise) and enjoy. I come out of it feeling as dirty as the crims and the cops ?

Edit to add: the title in French is intriguing and obviously means a lot more than just plain Spiral.

I have never watched and probably never will.  I am very shallow on my TV choices.  Fake documentaries about crab fishing or gold mining, car shows, sports and dancing shows with my wife.  A smattering of movies here and there.  I have never gotten hooked on any of the series that everyone seems to like.  

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have never watched and probably never will.  I am very shallow on my TV choices.  Fake documentaries about crab fishing or gold mining, car shows, sports and dancing shows with my wife.  A smattering of movies here and there.  I have never gotten hooked on any of the series that everyone seems to like.  

Please don't feel bad or somehow inadequate........I mean...you're obviously are strange and inadequate but you shouldn't go and feel that way.....well maybe a bit.

1 minute ago, onbike1939 said:

Please don't feel bad or somehow inadequate........I mean...you're obviously are strange and inadequate but you shouldn't go and feel that way.....well maybe a bit.

Sir, I will remind you that I am first a Texican and second a Yank, so strange and inadequate only scratch the surface.  Good Day! 

Just now, jsharr said:

Sir, I will remind you that I am first a Texican and second a Yank, so strange and inadequate only scratch the surface.  Good Day! 

Bugger!.....now I feel that I've offended you when all of my intentions were of the very best sort....dear me yes.

I'll try again....every society needs outliers...people out of step with the society they live in, but these people are essential if society is ever going to change and evolve. The strange ones...those that think differently, are the salt essential to the continuation of life and should be made welcome.

Yeah.....that should hold you for a while I reckon......

1 minute ago, onbike1939 said:

Bugger!.....now I feel that I've offended you when all of my intentions were of the very best sort....dear me yes.

I'll try again....every society needs outliers...people out of step with the society they live in, but these people are essential if society is ever going to change and evolve. The strange ones...those that think differently, are the salt essential to the continuation of life and should be made welcome.

Yeah.....that should hold you for a while I reckon......

I like salt.  I use it on my eggs, but I am not sure I would die if I did not have salt on them.  I would just add some hot sauce instead.

Well....you would certainly die if you had none of it as it's essential to life. I understand that Texan cuisine..if I can call it that...is Mexican-based with chillies, tortillas and that sort of thing. I have to say that I'd love to try the food in Louisiana, certainly that described by James Lee Burke novels. Poor boy sandwiches...the seafood and black pudding...all of these appeal to me I confess, not that I'm ever going to have the chance to try them of course.

12 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Well....you would certainly die if you had none of it as it's essential to life. I understand that Texan cuisine..if I can call it that...is Mexican-based with chillies, tortillas and that sort of thing. I have to say that I'd love to try the food in Louisiana, certainly that described by James Lee Burke novels. Poor boy sandwiches...the seafood and black pudding...all of these appeal to me I confess, not that I'm ever going to have the chance to try them of course.

If you visit Dallas, I will make you a pot of chili and we can go find some Cajun food too I reckon.

18 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

Growing up we had Scottish black pudding bought in just the one store in Birmingham that stocked it, M&S I think? With its greater girth and smaller pieces of fat compared with the English stuff it’s still the only sort my sister will eat: some habits are just set for life.

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Growing up we had Scottish black pudding bought in just the one store in Birmingham that stocked it, M&S I think? With its greater girth and smaller pieces of fat compared with the English stuff it’s still the only sort my sister will eat: some habits are just set for life.

Scottish black pudding is good......but give me the French Boudin Noir....and especially that made near Lyon...I miss it.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

The French stuff uses more herbs, is more finely ground, and if made in Lyon also contains cream. It's eaten with sauteed slices of apple and mashed potato.

Ok, quiet now, I am on the train, and a long way out in time and distance from a good feed.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Take a steam liner.  One of the White Star Line boats.  I will pick you up in Galveston.

To be honest, I don't know how I'd cope with having to wear one of those big hats and the pointy-toed boots....though it's a kind offer I'm sure.....and I just want you to know that I place no store on those stories that say Texans eat their babies....dear me no.

3 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

To be honest, I don't know how I'd cope with having to wear one of those big hats and the pointy-toed boots....though it's a kind offer I'm sure.....and I just want you to know that I place no store on those stories that say Texans eat their babies....dear me no.

Both of my boys survived.  Barely.  One still shows a few bite marks.  The boots and hat are purely optional.  Highly recommended if you want to fit in, but optional.   Also, most places are BYOH, so pack a horse if you own one.