So wjatcha reading?

Ralphie

The Loose Your Belly Diet - Change Your Gut, Change Your Life, by Dr. Travis DStork.  Interesting that it is mainly a treatise on the human microbiome, and interest in that grew oot of the Humane Genome.  Great subject.  The NIH even started a Human Biome Project in 2008.  http://www.hmpdacc.org

Very interesting factoid is that interest in this subject didn;t really flower until the late 1990s.  I find that incredible!  The history of the advancement of science and technology is indeed a fascinating subject (to me).

I was just thinking I should buy a boulangerie, whatever that is. :D

I

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

In the car pool we are still in a Baldacci phase.  His books are great in that they grab you from minute one and hold your attention like few other books do.  Just finished a John Puller and now on to another Decker.  I love the little details of Decker mannerisms. :D

I love his books.  Decker is an interesting character- morphed a lot from his support character in the early books.  Puller is a hoot.

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinhem:

https://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Road-Gloria-Steinem/dp/0679456201

It's this lead feminist's autobiography. Be proud America....she has been a leader on the forefront for women..world-wide.  She also by profession initially  a journalist so she writes well in a very accessible manner. I read her lst bk., twice, Outrageous Lies, Everyday Rebellions....where in 1 of the chapters, she did pretends to be a Playboy bunny, just to see how women were treated.  Yes, I did occasionally read Ms. magazine..

After looking up the Amazon page for a question in a thread here, I noticed that there's an expanded, new edition of U.S. Army War College Guide to the Battle of Gettysburg.

Since the battlefield is just a 90 minute drive from my home, I'll visit the stops, sit down and read the post-battle reports of the generals, privates, etc. who fought at each place.

I've also have the guides for Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, all of which are about a 2 hour drive for me.

A couple with more loaded for next.

Entertainment Science Fiction "War of Honor" #12 in the Honor Harrington series.

History "America's Secret Submarine". The story of the NR1 spy submarine. Of special interest to me as we serviced her one night.

Entertainment "Hornblower, Beat to quarters" Another series.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 10:14 PM, Zephyr said:

Recommended it to RG a while back.  Haven't read it in a few years so decided when I was done with my last one it was time to read again.  It is probably my 4th or 5 th read of this book

image.jpeg

Alexander Dumbass!  :D

Have I told the story of my grade school oral book report on it where I started laughing uncontrollably about the part where they throw his mummy wrapped body in the river? :D  Ahh, good times!  Too bad it wasn't now and I could say oral book reports are too stressful for me! 

On 9/2/2018 at 10:14 PM, Zephyr said:

Recommended it to RG a while back.  Haven't read it in a few years so decided when I was done with my last one it was time to read again.  It is probably my 4th or 5 th read of this book

image.jpeg

I just heard on "The Great American Read" on PBS that he basically paid someone to ghost write that for him.  WTF????

Tom

I finished the book on the NR1 submarine.  It was interesting.  There was a Turner on board @pageturner.  He was a nuclear eletrician however.  Most interesting was the early part of the book and some details on the missions of the USS Sargo.

Anyone taking a trip to CT and the Mystic area should spend a few hours over in Groton at the Submarine museum just outside the Groton Sub base.  You could go onboard the Nautilus and the Morgan whaling ship all in the same day.

I just wrapped up a "free" Kindle book: A Killer's Mind (Zoe Bentley Mystery Book 1) by Mike Omer.  A quick easy read.  I do get a little irritated when the reader doesn't get enough info to know the full picture, but it was still a pretty good read. Only BS part was that both the FBI agent and the FBI profiler lived in Dale City.  Sure, that's where they would both end up. :angry:  It was like the author just looked at a map and picked a name. That was my main gripe :D

Tom

I found two free ancient history ebooks that fit my recent interest in learning about the ancient peoples who were NOT in the central characters of Mediterranean - Fertile Crescent - Chinese civilizations:

1. Franks, Northmen, and Slavs: Identities and State Formation in Early Medieval Europe, Garipzanov et al, c.2008

2. The Land of the Etruscans from Prehistory to the Middle Ages, ed. Settis, c.1985