I really hope this is the end for Serena.

Wilbur

I am certain that coming to terms with falling off the podium are tremendous.  Serena has had a contentious relationship with the judges for quite some time.  Their banning of her catsuit outfit was ridiculous.  It was no more revealing than those ridiculously short skirts that give people glimpses of the players underwear.  Those seem to be acceptable to officials.  

Not sure how I feel about Serena.  She seems to be an amazing tennis player.  

• Whatever 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Maybe she thought it was a good idea to channel McEnroe.

Was McEnroe ever penalized games for criticizing officials? I don’t recall it if he was.

i don’t know if it was sexism, but I thought the official was excessively reactive and harsh in retaliation  to her complaints. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

I am certain that coming to terms with falling off the podium are tremendous.  Serena has had a contentious relationship with the judges for quite some time.  Their banning of her catsuit outfit was ridiculous.  It was no more revealing than those ridiculously short skirts that give people glimpses of the players underwear.  Those seem to be acceptable to officials.  

Serena is a whore. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Was McEnroe ever penalized games for criticizing officials? I don’t recall it if he was.

i don’t know if it was sexism, but I thought the official was excessively reactive and harsh in retaliation  to her complaints. 

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't know what you are talking about.

Serena Williams is an American tennis player and sister of Venus Williams.  Serena was beaten in two straight sets in the final of the U.S. Open.  She was crushed in the first set 6-2. The second set she lost, in part, because a one-game penalty resulted in her opponent leading the 2nd set 5-3 instead of 4-3.  Her opponent held her own serve to win 6-4, but it would have been 5-4 with Serena serving without the penalty.  I'm not familiar enough with the rules and history to figure out if the one game penalty was too severe.

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Interesting point about McEnroe.  One talking head said that women are considered hysterical and he was just considered win focused. 

I hate to see anyone act like a poor sport. 

McEnroe was called a childish asshole by many.  He was heavily penalized for his antics and tantrums.   See link above. 

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Interestingly...she was interviewed for a Canadian fitness magazine just recently.  http://impactmagazine.ca/about-us/digital-editions

What men don't entirely get...is the serious challenge of getting back into very fit body after a pregnancy.  

I don't watch nor know enough about professional tennis. I would have to ask a friend who is an uber fan of tennis, both as a spectator and also plays tennis several times per wk.  Friend is incredibly fit....@62 yrs. (she also cycles long distance).

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, now I know who you are talking about.  That catsuit was repulsive, I liked when the rules where that you had to wear frilly-skirted things, and they had to be white.

That was the tennis norm but I think Wimbledon was the only major that required white. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Interestingly...she was interviewed for a Canadian fitness magazine just recently.  http://impactmagazine.ca/about-us/digital-editions

What men don't entirely get...is the serious challenge of getting back into very fit body after a pregnancy.  

I don't watch nor know enough about professional tennis. I would have to ask a friend who is an uber fan of tennis, both as a spectator and also plays tennis several times per wk.  She is incredibly fit....@62 yrs.

This had nothing to do with pregnancy.  It has everything to do childish behaviour, temper tantrums and maintaining sportsman like conduct facing sporting adversity.  She was 100% wrong in her behaviour.  Entitled snowflake. 

• Awesome 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

This had nothing to do with pregnancy.  It has everything to do childish behaviour, temper tantrums and maintaining sportsman like conduct facing sporting adversity.  She was 100% wrong in her behaviour.  Entitled snowflake. 

And she is a whore. Venus is much nicer but a horrible driver. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Interesting point about McEnroe.  One talking head said that women are considered hysterical and he was just considered win focused. 

I hate to see anyone act like a poor sport. 

That was Billy Jean King who said that.  Incorrect in her assessment here as was her claims of beating a top seated male tennis player. :)  Bobby Riggs, the first useful idiot. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That was Billy Jean King who said that.  Incorrect in her assessment here as was her claims of beating a top seated male tennis player. :)  Bobby Riggs, the first useful idiot. 

Billy Jean King was also a whore. I liked Chrissy Evert, Evonne Goolagong Cawley, and sweet little Tracy Austin.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Doesn't matter, don't care.  

Men get out of shape too, no one pats them on the back for being all disgusting and swollen or lies to them about a glow or other such bullshit.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Doesn't matter, don't care.  

Men get out of shape too, no one pats them on the back for being all disgusting and swollen or lies to them about a glow or other such bullshit.

Sure.  I can't comment on the tennis point.  So my point is different and now away from Serena.  It is simply about pregnancy..that's all.

I'm sorry....getting pregnant...is giving your body totally and unselfishly to produce life inside.  Something men will never have to make that biological sacrifice.  Guys just shoot the seed. That's all.  It doesn't minimize 20-25 yrs. of effort of being a daddy.  Or being a daddy ….for life and all the things that come with it.  (Witness my partner helping his....40 yr. daughter on certain things..it never stops....being a parent.)

32 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

She has recovered for near death during childbirth.  It hasn't been easy.

• Whatever 1

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

McEnroe was called a childish asshole by many.  He was heavily penalized for his antics and tantrums.   See link above. 

I see LOTS of fines, one expulsion, but only one point penalty in his career.

I think a fine rather than first a point and then a game penalty would have been more reasonable in a major tournament final. 

I think refs sometimes need to restrain themselves, too. 

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I see LOTS of fines, one expulsion, but only one point penalty in his career.

I think a fine rather than first a point and then a game penalty would have been more reasonable in a major tournament final. 

I think refs sometimes need to restrain themselves, too. 

He was suspended for two firkin months due to antics at the US open and removed due to disqualifications at others.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

He was suspended for two firkin months due to antics at the US open and removed due to disqualifications at others.  

True story. I got suspended for 1 day in high school for defending McEnroe in my history class.  :) I'm not positive, but I think I called Borg a whore. Things would get pretty animated when we'd discuss tennis at my school.  

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm sorry....getting pregnant...is giving your body totally and unselfishly to produce life inside.  Something men will never have to make that biological sacrifice. 

Again, so what?  You get out of shape, no matter the reason, then you have to get back in shape if you want to compete.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Again, so what?  You get out of shape, no matter the reason, then you have to get back in shape if you want to compete.

THat is the amazing thing for elite female professional atheletes….to get back into shape.

Now if men got pregnant, the sports magazines would be full of articles of how they did it. For women...that's not really highlighted...much.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I really hope this is the end for Serena.

Maybe you mean "end of the match"?  Playing in the finals of the US Open usually indicates you are one of the top two players in the world, so I think we will be blessed to see her a bit more.  I'm looking forward to a 24th (and 25th...) Grand Slam title, although I would love for some other women to step up into her shoes.

Tom

• Whatever 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe you mean "end of the match"?  Playing in the finals of the US Open usually indicates you are one of the top two players in the world, so I think we will be blessed to see her a bit more.  I'm looking forward to a 24th (and 25th...) Grand Slam title, although I would love for some other women to step up into her shoes.

Tom

No, I mean 'the end".  When they lose their seat, lose sets so easily and lose their shit, the end is near.  Want to discuss Tiger now? 

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

True story..  I was thrown off the court and out of the 1977 Burnaby Tennis Club Championship for throwing my Dunlop Maxply Fort.  

No way!!!  I wore the McEnroe polo shirts to school and tried to serve like him. Didn't work well because I was right handed.  :)

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No, I mean 'the end".  When they lose their seat, lose sets so easily and lose their shit, the end is near.  Want to discuss Tiger now?  

Well, I know whose sports tips NOT to follow. Not sure why an insanely GREAT tennis player who plays with passion, grit, and social awareness rubs folks the wrong way.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, I know whose sports tips NOT to follow. Not sure why an insanely GREAT tennis player who plays with passion, grit, and social awareness rubs folks the wrong way.

Tom

Nobody knows crime better than a criminal.  :)  

That is why McEnroe is revered as an analyst now.