Gravel

dinneR

Your cattle photo reminded me of one of my college roommates.  Let's call him Brian, since that is his name.

Brian drove a big 4 wheel drive Chevy Pickup.  2 door, short bed, lifted up pretty high.

He said he had this dream where he was driving down a 2 lane highway and way in the distance was a big herd of cattle.  

This is where it gets weird.  As he keeps driving, the perspective does not change.  Road and cattle stay the same size and soon he is in this giant truck with this tiny road and cattle under him.

Has this ever happened to you?

12 minutes ago, dennis said:

I have only been to Jackson, the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. Your ride makes me think I need to head back to Wyoming ASAP.  Actually, returning to Wyoming is always on my "to do" list, but rides & pics like yours make me especially want to get back there.

Was the ride organized or a club ride or one someone had spec'ed out before? It looks like not too many towns for refueling the bottles and grabbing a snack or quad espresso, so what were the logistics?

And, if planning for next year, maybe give us a heads up before hand??? :D

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I have only been to Jackson, the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. Your ride makes me think I need to head back to Wyoming ASAP.  Actually, returning to Wyoming is always on my "to do" list, but rides & pics like yours make me especially want to get back there.

Was the ride organized or a club ride or one someone had spec'ed out before? It looks like not too many towns for refueling the bottles and grabbing a snack or quad espresso, so what were the logistics?

And, if planning for next year, maybe give us a heads up before hand??? :D

Tom

It was a race. Part of the WY gravel series. It was pretty remote terrain. I think I saw my first car around mile 70. There were checkpoints at miles 20, 60, 90, 103. You had to sign in so they could keep track of everyone. Mile 60 had food. The others had water. I bought a snickers and some cashews at a bar in Atlantic City. The route used cue sheets which made it easy to navigate. I carried a cherry pie in my pocket and ate that at mile 110 before the big descent.

The riding here is pretty amazing, but can be very remote. No towns to roll through. Lots of high desert. Snakes and antelope terrain. 

Next year's race will be the Sat after labor day.

You still have time to sign up for this one. http://gravelpursuit.com/

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I would argue, it's not as difficult as it appears. It's 80% mental. The other 20% is mental. To make the time cutoffs, you just have to average 10 mph. Not crazy fast. 

I was riding one of the heaviest bikes there. And least expensive. Nothing fancy. I load it up with everything. No drop bags, I carry everything I will need including a water filter. 

My theory is if shot goes sideways, figure it out. If your rear derailleur goes into your spokes, brake the chain and make a single speed to get your sorry ass home the last 75 miles. 

From the rules:

WE WILL NOT COME GET YOU. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU.

• Awesome 2