Apparently, Florence Is Trending South Now

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm sure Virginia is breathing a sigh of relief. 

Well, I and likely most folks, generally fart in the general direction of Texas, so it may be helping.  Not as much as Texas' general suckiness, but enough to nudge it a little off course.

Tom

My BIL is in town and we were talking last night about meeting up for dinner.  I didn't even prod him but he said, OMG mom is blowing up my phone on Florence... My wife has been getting daily calls on her status too.  In case you are wondering I'm fine, no flooding, yet....

The storm tracker looks like it will miss most of VA but we'll still get the calls.

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm sure Virginia is breathing a sigh of relief. 

The D.C. area is said now it may only get an inch of rain, but the ground is SO saturated now from two months of mostly rain there is already a lot of flooding all over the area: so whether it's 1" or 20" of rain, it's going to flood the hell out of some areas: obviously many more will get whacked if it's 20."

The Chesapeake Bay has had waves shoved into it from the Atlantic Ocean, filling it up like a bathtub, and Annapolis's touristy Harbor Area, 30 min. from my home, has been underwater for a couple days.  The bronzes statues of the kids listening to Alex Haley's statue talking about "Roots" at the Kunta Kinte - Alex Haley Memorial in Annapolis are partly underwater right now:

1570603381_KuntaKinte-AlexHaleyMemorialAnnapolis.jpg.ba3752fc8506b95076ef1dc89ebcf3de.jpg

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The D.C. area is said now it may only get an inch of rain, but the ground is SO saturated now from two months of mostly rain there is already a lot of flooding all over the area: so whether it's 1" or 20" of rain, it's going to flood the hell out of some areas: obviously many more will get whacked if it's 20."

The Chesapeake Bay has had waves shoved into it from the Atlantic Ocean, filling it up like a bathtub, and Annapolis's touristy Harbor Area, 30 min. from my home, has been underwater for a couple days.  The bronzes statues of the kids listening to Alex Haley's statue talking about "Roots" at the Kunta Kinte - Alex Haley Memorial in Annapolis are partly underwater right now:

1570603381_KuntaKinte-AlexHaleyMemorialAnnapolis.jpg.ba3752fc8506b95076ef1dc89ebcf3de.jpg

I used to rent an apartment about 6' above sea level in Ocean View on the south shore of the bay.  I wonder if the water is lapping at the door step there now.

So, if college games are still on, how about Sunday's pro games?  Seems like that might affect Carolina or Tennessee or maybe Atlanta (that's a dome, though???)?

Any thing to worry about? I know it won't ruin the last stages of the Vuelta.

Tom

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, if college games are still on, how about Sunday's pro games?  Seems like that might affect Carolina or Tennessee or maybe Atlanta (that's a dome, though???)?

Any thing to worry about? I know it won't ruin the last stages of the Vuelta.

Tom

That's not hurricane country.  That's flash fires, earthquake and Volcano country.

23 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Reminds me of Hurricane Ike in Galveston. Storm had weakened to Cat 2, but because it was so strong for so long, it still packed a punch. Had a respectable death toll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ike

I still think flooding will be the main story out of this one.

Ike sucked because electric grid was down for two weeks for many and three weeks for some. And the roof of my office building sprung a leak. I remember going to retrieve some stuff when the building was closed and water was pouring out of the elevator. Stairs were dry though.

• Heart 1

On 9/13/2018 at 5:58 AM, maddmaxx said:

I used to rent an apartment about 6' above sea level in Ocean View on the south shore of the bay.  I wonder if the water is lapping at the door step there now.

The water level has been rising for some time and some stable, inhabited-for-centuries islands in the Chesapeake are now doomed and their populations dropping fast.