What was the most useless class that you took in high school?

JerrySTL

RG's "Just so you know, Latin edition" got me to thinking of how useless my years of Latin classes were in high school.

1. The nuns said that I needed Latin to go to college. Most likely a lie plus I didn't go to college just after high school. When I did, no Latin needed.

2. Nobody speaks Latin except for Roman Catholic priests, some lawyers, and a few other odd-balls.

3. After high school I moved to New Mexico. I should have studied Spanish instead!

You?

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

RG's "Just so you know, Latin edition" got me to thinking of how useless my years of Latin classes were in high school.

1. The nuns said that I needed Latin to go to college. Most likely a lie plus I didn't go to college just after high school. When I did, no Latin needed.

2. Nobody speaks Latin except for Roman Catholic priests, some lawyers, and a few other odd-balls.

3. After high school I moved to New Mexico. I should have studied Spanish instead!

You?

Latin has always been one of the things admissions people love to see.

It was a real plus when I was a kid, these days they'd prob faint.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Gym.  I was a 3 sport athlete.  Gym was BS.

But I liked Gym and it was an easy A.

I'll have to go with Spanish.  Took it because I made the mistake of listening to a freaking guidance concealer who said by the time I graduate college's will require at least one year of a foreign language.  That was in the 90s and they still don't require it now.  Also I've learned doing lots of international business, everyone freaking speaks English that has any power to actually do anything for you.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Dodge ball is NEVER BS!

Tom

In grade school we used to play a version of dodge ball on the volley ball courts (no nets) and we used volleyballs, not squishy soft balls like they use now.  kids would get bloody noses and all sorts of scabs & torn clothes from diving on asphalt.

Ahh the good ole days.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Gym.  I was a 3 sport athlete.  Gym was BS.

Athletes didn't have to take gym.  I spent that time in the library and got A's for those 3 years.  

Drivers Ed.  PA had a mandatory drivers ed. class.  There were 60+ kids in the class (half our junior class at a time) stuffed into a classroom designed for 40 max..  A friend (I'll call Larry) and I noticed the teacher didn't take attendance.  The short version of the story is Larry and I never went back and got straight Bs for the year.  I spent that hour in the library as well.

So Drivers Ed was really the most worthless class I never took.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Athletes didn't have to take gym.  I spent that time in the library and got A's for those 3 years.  

Drivers Ed.  PA had a mandatory drivers ed. class.  There were 60+ kids in the class (half our junior class at a time) stuffed into a classroom designed for 40 max..  A friend (I'll call Larry) and I noticed the teacher didn't take attendance.  The short version of the story is Larry and I never went back and got straight Bs for the year.  I spent that hour in the library as well.

So Drivers Ed was really the most worthless class I never took.

You got a B for doing nothing.  That is better than you do in here.

• Haha 3

Sociology. 

The subject matter was fine and I really enjoyed the class in college, however the class in HS was taught by a self proclaimed Communist.  To say the lectures were a little biased would be an understatement.  Any discussion critical of the opinions of the teacher were shut down with a negative grade.

Couch

1 minute ago, Couch_Incident said:

Sociology. 

The subject matter was fine and I really enjoyed the class in college, however the class in HS was taught by a self proclaimed Communist.  To say the lectures were a little biased would be an understatement.  Any discussion critical of the opinions of the teacher were shut down with a negative grade.

Couch

was any one shot or sent to the gulag?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

okay, so I lied

I took a few philosophy classes in college. I was even masochistic enough to study modern philosophy, but ethics?

A good professor will tie you up in knots, and then let you stew in your juices for a while. No, thanks.

Collegiate BDSM.

3 hours ago, Further said:

High School was a waste for me. I was a troublemaker, I didn't want to be there, why they gave me a diploma I don't know. They should have booted me out at 10th grade. 

You're lucky you got the diploma.  Seriously.

I avoided taking any math and science courses in final year of high school. I was stuffing in art and English literature courses....  (I have degree in English literature. My comments on shitty Powerpoint slides is partially derived from writing well in a succinct manner.  But here on forum, I'm verbose.  :)  )

20 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

French.  Total waste of time.

I took French twice at university...because it was a requirement that I graduate with 1 mandatory foreign language course.  At the time, I was furious and exhausted.  But looking back, even remembering a little French now, helps getting around in France (I've been there 3 different trips and Quebec several times.   Believe me...it helps...compared to being in Japan.