I don't feel like leaving again

Dirtyhip

I can see that, it's a lot of work to live like that and there is something to be said for just sitting around home, kicking back and doing nothing.  One of these days I'll get to do that again.  Moving sucks, but the list of things to do are slowly getting knocked off.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

I can see that, it's a lot of work to live like that and there is something to be said for just sitting around home, kicking back and doing nothing.  One of these days I'll get to do that again.  Moving sucks, but the list of things to do are slowly getting knocked off.

It is surprisingly comfortable for camping, but everything is a larger chore in the woods.  Water gathering, laundry, and cooking are much more work than life in the city.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is surprisingly comfortable for camping, but everything is a larger chore in the woods.  Water gathering, laundry, and cooking are much more work than life in the city.

Exactly, try adding two kids to the mix and a weekend and I'm worn out.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I would trade lives with you for a while if I could bring RO, and live full-time in the woods.  I would very much like that.

It's all roses, until someone steals your generator.  

I think I am just tired and grumpy.  We may head out to this lake and do some fishing. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Campgrounds are noisy horrible places.  

We went to one recently, as our friends could not camp without being in a campground. ?  One of the day, we heard this dog barking non-stop.  People investigated and some asshole tied a dog to a tree and abandoned it.  The poor doggie was crying out of fear and abandonment.  Plus, noisy campers in general.  Can people interact with their children without screaming their name over and over again.  "Jimmy...STOP THAT."  "Jimmy... GET OVER HERE!"  Someone please take Jimmy's Mom and tie her to a tree somewhere?

Right there with you. I camped in a campground once this summer and some dude ran his generator until 9:00 pm. I prefer places without hookups like BLM or NF sites that are quiet. I had Red Rock Lake NWR to myself. Awesome spring water just steps away. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Clearly when we camped it was at most only 2 days in a tent. We were in some campgrounds. ….usually abit away from RVs. I like places with washrooms and showers...especially after cycling 100+ km. in 30 degree C. humid summer weather.

you know what's away from RVs, with washroom & showers with hot & cold running water?

MOTEL rooms!!!!   If somebody is noisy you call the front desk from your bed. 

☺️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dennis said:

Right there with you. I camped in a campground once this summer and some dude ran his generator until 9:00 pm. I prefer places without hookups like BLM or NF sites that are quiet. I had Red Rock Lake NWR to myself. Awesome spring water just steps away. 

I only do BLM if I have any kind of choice.  No choice out here, only state parks.  Absolutely horrid.

Grocery stores, campgrounds, shopping.

There is an old quote attributed to either Mae West or WC Fields that I sometimes think of when I'm about to tear into some child's so called parents for letting them run amok"

"Ah, children, they should be raised in a barrel.

And when they turn 16 the bung should be driven in."

But then I remember that "Get off my lawn" is also appropriate.

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Off grid, Yo.  We rarely ever pay to camp.  So, we end up finding some fresh water and filling our 5 gal cubes with potable water.  This needs to be done about every other day.  

Ja, great stuff, I used to love that way of camping, filling up the tanks at a fast flowing mountain stream. May be getting back to it, too, sprog is as we speak en route to check out a Merc van I’m thinking of buying

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Off grid, Yo.  We rarely ever pay to camp.  So, we end up finding some fresh water and filling our 5 gal cubes with potable water.  This needs to be done about every other day.  

I hear ya.  Where the hell do you park though?  Around here you can't just pull into someone's land.  You'll get your ass shot up.  I like the convenience of a campground.  Pay your money and get AC, electric, sometimes wifi and/or cable.  Water, sewer etc.  Some of the campers can be really cool.  Some can be fuckers.  I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience at campgrounds. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I hear ya.  Where the hell do you park though?  Around here you can't just pull into someone's land.  You'll get your ass shot up.  I like the convenience of a campground.  Pay your money and get AC, electric, sometimes wifi and/or cable.  Water, sewer etc.  Some of the campers can be really cool.  Some can be fuckers.  I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience at campgrounds. 

National Forest and BLM have different rules. There's a spot in the lower right corner. 

R9Sj9FPDNGijEazzF2JUfVfhdeVcl-Ckn6mIDmNvc_RrQhlHyMzC-qPJ1Na-akNTbflN2fN1Nbm9wq4ADHWMap_EwzmWsdLSSXthCHaOUxa1aH-UGSW716fd0btPp3_pFxmek7FqHQ8euqsezHgHfgDxmvez5qrpCjpyVwEzlNxP9zyr1PINHMhr6ETsSSEudU0T-s34wcIxzv4NNSGq46EtlF-xEXf9oe2PvGYaMefv55y9SNA185baG4Lxh89b9MRfQw1J7BKE0xV_jTeN9mfU-bZxaXG_vFnHXAMQax4KHJtG7lbKyLZTi7Z0E2eWHTmGnDVOAEIFiTNglL7-SdheQIuHYfsTQ15_KoGvwAw4i8CG8FK86twaSN3D7BZEkQ0rFPhi4mUf0nEUTcQXKngaxFYX5x93fpXKGEWjFNR0lkix1xw6AunZl1Sc6NcIDu5xUlPUGqAeqhlxoaR6ethr44ps4YOptmFk6i4fn5nTGUeINWcGAaq1yDzMABSTt8IP9Gx681qx0FcGwk-TvkwwnnZU3JJflqihu5Cy_d_HlbM1MNwiRxGBwIhga73GU1KfN255-3D-FKAcXwm_STfJp-rVO1HExTIHqlueCvSIKr8KyV1vw9M5ZVoWYSQ=w1177-h662-no

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Grocery stores, campgrounds, shopping.

There is an old quote attributed to either Mae West or WC Fields that I sometimes think of when I'm about to tear into some child's so called parents for letting them run amok"

"Ah, children, they should be raised in a barrel.

And when they turn 16 the bung should be driven in."

But then I remember that "Get off my lawn" is also appropriate.

Robert H Heinlein was a proponent of the bung hole method of raising children.

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

National Forest and BLM have different rules. There's a spot in the lower right corner. 

R9Sj9FPDNGijEazzF2JUfVfhdeVcl-Ckn6mIDmNvc_RrQhlHyMzC-qPJ1Na-akNTbflN2fN1Nbm9wq4ADHWMap_EwzmWsdLSSXthCHaOUxa1aH-UGSW716fd0btPp3_pFxmek7FqHQ8euqsezHgHfgDxmvez5qrpCjpyVwEzlNxP9zyr1PINHMhr6ETsSSEudU0T-s34wcIxzv4NNSGq46EtlF-xEXf9oe2PvGYaMefv55y9SNA185baG4Lxh89b9MRfQw1J7BKE0xV_jTeN9mfU-bZxaXG_vFnHXAMQax4KHJtG7lbKyLZTi7Z0E2eWHTmGnDVOAEIFiTNglL7-SdheQIuHYfsTQ15_KoGvwAw4i8CG8FK86twaSN3D7BZEkQ0rFPhi4mUf0nEUTcQXKngaxFYX5x93fpXKGEWjFNR0lkix1xw6AunZl1Sc6NcIDu5xUlPUGqAeqhlxoaR6ethr44ps4YOptmFk6i4fn5nTGUeINWcGAaq1yDzMABSTt8IP9Gx681qx0FcGwk-TvkwwnnZU3JJflqihu5Cy_d_HlbM1MNwiRxGBwIhga73GU1KfN255-3D-FKAcXwm_STfJp-rVO1HExTIHqlueCvSIKr8KyV1vw9M5ZVoWYSQ=w1177-h662-no

Camping in the west does actually get you into the outdoors, P8.  BLM camping is 1,000 exponents better than anything you are used to.   No wifi, though, but you can unplug, maybe read a kindle if you like. 

4 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Ja, great stuff, I used to love that way of camping, filling up the tanks at a fast flowing mountain stream. May be getting back to it, too, sprog is as we speak en route to check out a Merc van I’m thinking of buying

Um, No.  I don't drink right out of the stream.  We tend to bootleg some water from campgrounds, or other potable water source.  When we go to Oaktown they have a St Vincent DePaul where you can fill wat jugs for free.  We will send them a nice donation this year.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Um, No.  I don't drink right out of the stream.  We tend to bootleg some water from campgrounds, or other potable water source.  When we go to Oaktown they have a St Vincent DePaul where you can fill wat jugs for free.  We will send them a nice donation this year.

Well, you don’t have the legendary highland water flowing freely as we do here, beats flouridated tap water all day long, if it good enough to make scotch with, I reckon I can risk drinking it, don’t you?