Sign in to follow this  
No One

The History of Carlton, before and after TI Raleigh ate them.

10 hours ago, donkpow said:

That orange color is exciting.

...they used those "flamboyant" paint colors extensively in the mid 60's.  They don't hold up very well, because they fade.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be some kind of transparent colored lacquer over a silver undercoating.  i know some of the Italian chromovelato finishes were achieved with lacquer.

Here's another Carlton product with the same finish, but you can see where it has faded in random places.  Apparently, at this point in time they could't figure out whether it was a Rudge, or a Sun, because they owned both brands, and each is marked on the bicycle. The frame is straight (unbutted) 531, and is very similar to the Catalina shown above in that regard.

Rudge (Sun) 001.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 002.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 003.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 004.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 005.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 006.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 007.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 009.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 010.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 011.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 012.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 013.JPG

Rudge (Sun) 014.JPG

...I have some more  made in Worksop (before they closed it because of a labor dispute in 1981).

I'll post some of them from time to time when I get a chance to verify the authenticity.  English bikes are my favourites. The best of them have a distinctive feel that is different from the best of the Italian bikes, which I can only describe as a little more springy and more forgiving of road irregularities.  If you read that whole first link, here is one of the SBDU Raleigh Team bikes, that is referenced as the eventual high point for TI Raleigh and their racing team.  Made not in Worksop, but in Ilkston.  I rode it today, and flatted in the front at about mile 25. :(

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 001.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 008.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 009.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 010.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 011.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 012.JPG

On 9/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, No One said:

...I have some more  made in Worksop (before they closed it because of a labor dispute in 1981).

I'll post some of them from time to time when I get a chance to verify the authenticity.  English bikes are my favourites. The best of them have a distinctive feel that is different from the best of the Italian bikes, which I can only describe as a little more springy and more forgiving of road irregularities.  If you read that whole first link, here is one of the SBDU Raleigh Team bikes, that is referenced as the eventual high point for TI Raleigh and their racing team.  Made not in Worksop, but in Ilkston.  I rode it today, and flatted in the front at about mile 25. :(

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 001.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 008.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 009.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 010.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 011.JPG

Raleigh SBDU Team Pro 012.JPG

One of my favorite bikes of all time.