Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RalphWaldoMooseworth

Premium grocery products at a very premium 50% higher price

Recommended Posts

I tend to get as much of my meat and fish...eggs and some cheese from the LGS by work..usually more expensive than the chains or Target...but the meat & fish quality are great and the Amish eggs...come from just just south of the cities. Depending on other things..I may get fruit or veggies there..if I don;t need much..or it is for tonights dinner...Somethings they just do better than this big chains...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My wife says she gets good deals, yet she always pays 50% more for eggz and bread - cage free, antibiotic and hormone free egss, and Sara Lee Bread that is 45 calories per slice vs 60 for the cheap stuff I think.  Marketing genius, both of those! 

Your wife is smarter than you are.

Heirloom strains of wheat are a lot better for you than the modern stuff.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-kamut-flour.html

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/kamutr-spaghetti-100-whole-grain-organic.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Comparing price on cage free and cruelty added produce is stupid.

Yeap, just buy the cheapest and move on.  No need worrying about it stupid stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Can you beat and whip the cage free, cruelty free eggs or do you just eat them raw, or maybe soft boiled at most?

Peds is British. Of course they are boiled - like most everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You pay a premium for foods that are higher quality.  If you have eaten eggs from happy pasture chickens, the quality is much higher.  The yolks are darker orange and have tested much higher in healthy fats.  Battery house chicken eggs are lower quality.  You pay for quality.

Our conventional food industry is a toxic one.  Eating pesticides and herbicides like we do is destroying the environment and our bodies.  

Last time I went shopping, I noticed a how much more prices have risen.  I wonder how the lower income people are getting by.  Like, those people that make too much for services, but not enough to be getting ahead at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You pay a premium for foods that are higher quality.  If you have eaten eggs from happy pasture chickens, the quality is much higher.  The yolks are darker orange and have tested much higher in healthy fats.  Battery house chicken eggs are lower quality.  You pay for quality.

Our conventional food industry is a toxic one.  Eating pesticides and herbicides like we do is destroying the environment and our bodies.  

Last time I went shopping, I noticed a how much more prices have risen.  I wonder how the lower income people are getting by.  Like, those people that make too much for services, but not enough to be getting ahead at all.  

The tests that I have read on this do show slight increases in fat for free range, but the differences were slight at best.  Color of yolk has no bearing on quailty of egg.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673178

 

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/55099/does-the-color-of-an-egg-yolk-indicate-how-nutritious-it-is/

 

https://hoke.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/08/nutritional-value-is-the-same-for-free-range-or-cage-eggs-5/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jsharr said:

The tests that I have read on this do show slight increases in fat for free range, but the differences were slight at best.  Color of yolk has no bearing on quailty of egg.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673178

I have baked with fresh eggs and store bought battery house eggs.  The backyard eggs were way better in taste and texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have baked with fresh eggs and store bought battery house eggs.  The backyard eggs were way better in taste and texture.

They may taste better due to age, what they were fed, etc, but real, academic testing shows virtually no difference in nutritional value.   Store bought eggs are about the same as cage free in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, the most important factor in egg nutrtiontion, fat content, vitamin content seems to be dietary above all else.  This study speaks to that.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/renewable-agriculture-and-food-systems/article/vitamins-a-e-and-fatty-acid-composition-of-the-eggs-of-caged-hens-and-pastured-hens/552BA04E5A9E3CD7E49E405B339ECA32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They may taste better due to age, what they were fed, etc, but real, academic testing shows virtually no difference in nutritional value.   Store bought eggs are about the same as cage free in most cases.

Taste better, fresher egg and better feed = better quality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Taste better, fresher egg and better feed = better quality 

Fresher eggs are not always best.  You want the eggs to age a bit if you are going to boil them.  They peel easier.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Fresher eggs are not always best.  You want the eggs to age a bit if you are going to boil them.  They peel easier.   

Add baking soda to the boil water.  The peel comes right off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

... @Dirtyhip , I would be willing to join up with you on a road trip to Texas, if you want to egg @jsharr 's new car when he has it parked at work.

Sounds fun.  We can buy battery house eggs for that purpose. Well, unless the better quality eggs have a better sticking texture to them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They may taste better due to age, what they were fed, etc, but real, academic testing shows virtually no difference in nutritional value.   Store bought eggs are about the same as cage free in most cases.

...there is a great deal of bad science masquerading as academic, nutritional research in today's world.  Not making this up. :) No, I did not read your linked studies, and no, I'm not sure whether the eggs I buy at the farmers market here are from caged or uncaged hens.  But I do know for a fact  that pastured chickens are much better eating, and when I briefly lost my supplier, I just got so discouraged we stopped eating chicken.. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there is a great deal of bad science masquerading as academic, nutritional research in today's world.  Not making this up. :) No, I did not read your linked studies, and no, I'm not sure whether the eggs I buy at the farmers market here are from caged or uncaged hens.  But I do know for a fact  that pastured chickens are much better eating, and when I briefly lost my supplier, I just got so discouraged we stopped eating chicken.. :(

That is why I tried to find testing from government agencies or universities, not some food critic or someone with an agenda.    And I believe science works.  
 

As to the taste thing, you will really love this one, so will DH....

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/what-are-the-best-eggs-cage-free-organic-omega-3s-grocery-store-brand-the-food-lab.html

Let me know if you need my address for Hip and Page's Eggscellent Adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Hope your thyroid is holding up!  Have you had tyrosine withdrawals yet?

A shame @Square Wheels doesn't bother answering questions about veganism these days :(

Tom

He is busy working.  I told you to eat pumpkin seeds

Image result for tyro sign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hope your thyroid is holding up!  Have you had tyrosine withdrawals yet?

A shame @Square Wheels doesn't bother answering questions about veganism these days :(

Tom

Oh I had some poultry yesterday and a little bit of cheese the day before. Other than that, I am falling apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...there is a great deal of bad science masquerading as academic, nutritional research in today's world.  Not making this up. :) No, I did not read your linked studies, and no, I'm not sure whether the eggs I buy at the farmers market here are from caged or uncaged hens.  But I do know for a fact  that pastured chickens are much better eating, and when I briefly lost my supplier, I just got so discouraged we stopped eating chicken.. :(

Yeah, and that's why you end up with a lawsuit like the roundup one going through.  People ignored the science in favor of pseudo science.

Then you have all the "Organic" crap now which is basically going completely backwards as it forces you to use the worst farming practices in order to accomplish it.  So you are going max tillage to control weeds and such, leading to higher ground erosion, more pollution to waterways due to run off and extreme long term damage to the field do the loss of top soil.  The entire world is fucked because to many people believe in nonsensical crap and ignore what real science says.  And for the GMO crowd, almost all the food you eat, even nonGMO would not exists if not for GMO.  We've just gotten to the point where we don't have to rely on cross pollination to do it which takes decades, but cross pollination is still GMO.  The world is full of a bunch of fucking idiots, and I'm about done and ready to check out of it.

 

Peace, I'm out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Then you have all the "Organic" crap now which is basically going completely backwards as it forces you to use the worst farming practices in order to accomplish it.  So you are going max tillage to control weeds and such, leading to higher ground erosion, more pollution to waterways due to run off and extreme long term damage to the field do the loss of top soil. 

Sweet!  This explains the nonsense going on near Florida!  And it ties great into the food bank thread too!  Looking at the food being given out, luckily none of it is that mamby-pamby organic food and just good old 'Merican stuff!

Tomi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jsharr said:



Let me know if you need my address for Hip and Page's Eggscellent Adventure.

...thanks, but I have Google earth.  No one can hide from me.  Certainly no one with a land yacht the size of that Chrysler. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jsharr said:

That is why I tried to find testing from government agencies or universities, not some food critic or someone with an agenda.    And I believe science works.  

...science does work. I believe that too.  It works along the lines of GIGO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...

4 hours ago, Indy Out said:

Yeah, and that's why you end up with a lawsuit like the roundup one going through.  People ignored the science in favor of pseudo science.

Then you have all the "Organic" crap now which is basically going completely backwards as it forces you to use the worst farming practices in order to accomplish it.  So you are going max tillage to control weeds and such, leading to higher ground erosion, more pollution to waterways due to run off and extreme long term damage to the field do the loss of top soil.  The entire world is fucked because to many people believe in nonsensical crap and ignore what real science says.  And for the GMO crowd, almost all the food you eat, even nonGMO would not exists if not for GMO.  We've just gotten to the point where we don't have to rely on cross pollination to do it which takes decades, but cross pollination is still GMO.  The world is full of a bunch of fucking idiots, and I'm about done and ready to check out of it.

 

Peace, I'm out.

....why is this thread not yet in teh P+R ?  Do I need to say something about socialism, or what ?:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indy Out said:

Then you have all the "Organic" crap now which is basically going completely backwards as it forces you to use the worst farming practices in order to accomplish it.  So you are going max tillage to control weeds and such, leading to higher ground erosion, more pollution to waterways due to run off and extreme long term damage to the field do the loss of top soil.  The entire world is fucked because to many people believe in nonsensical crap and ignore what real science says. 

Tests Show Monsanto Weed Killer in Cheerios, Other Popular Foods

...that's a direct result of ideas like the ones in this article from Grainews.

Oats not affected by pre-harvest glyphosate

 

So please do not berate me about agricultural practices and science, because I follow the literature some.  Cheerios, man.:( You should be ashamed of yourself. :( :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

There is no way to tell if a chicken that has shat out eggs has been mistreated or not.  Cruelty-free my ass!

...interestingly, if you've ever raised chickens, they are very mean to each other. Pecking order is a real thing, and the hen out in the yard at the bottom of the order leads a miserable life indeed.  :(

I think maybe the answer is to put all the laying hens in those Amazon cages on top of robots, so they can go outside when they want, but are still protected from the other hens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...interestingly, if you've ever raised chickens, they are very mean to each other. Pecking order is a real thing, and the hen out in the yard at the bottom of the order leads a miserable life indeed.  :(

I think maybe the answer is to put all the laying hens in those Amazon cages on top of robots, so they can go outside when they want, but are still protected from the other hens.

I have raised hens, and they didn't have a "bottom of the order hen" with a miserable life.  We must have been treating them humanely enough so that they didn't attack each other?  Or maybe there is a magic number for hens per square foot that triggers misery?

We do have names for people who think animal cruelty is "fun".

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I have raised hens, and they didn't have a "bottom of the order hen" with a miserable life.  We must have been treating them humanely enough so that they didn't attack each other?  Or maybe there is a magic number for hens per square foot that triggers misery?

We do have names for people who think animal cruelty is "fun".

Tom

...I'm not expert in chicken psychology, and can only say that in my experiences, having a hen at the bottom of the order who gets her ass kicked regularly is not at all unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The pecking order is established early in a chicken’s life when raised in a flock. Young chicks peck each other and bully one another when they are around food. The stronger chicks get to eat first, or eat the best foods and treats. Pullets and cockerels that grow up together will run and bump into each other, with the stronger one often chasing the other.

After slight pecks, chasing and minor disputes on the roosts, order is established and is evident by the peaceful nature of the flock, because each bird knows where they rank and who they can and can not push around. Unless a member of the flock is removed or added, the pecking order may remain the same for a long time, although it is never permanent. One bird will always find another that it can push around, allowing that one to climb higher in the pecking order.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order.64752/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Much to many a new chicken owner's surprise, chickens can be quite mean! Often aggression and minor incidents in the flock is due to them establishing or reminding other birds of the pecking order, or roosters fighting for the top spot. But sometimes you'd get a bully or two in the flock that is just unnecessarily mean, making life for their victims a misery. This week I'd like to hear you all's thoughts and practices when it comes to dealing with bullies in the flock. How do you handle them and what advice would you give to others dealing with that situation?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/topic-of-the-week-chicken-behaviour-and-flock-dynamics-part-2-bullying-behaviour.1208695/

 

...so maybe your chickens all grew up together at the same time, or you didn't have a rooster (they are notorious bullies, for the most part).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our chickens never pecked at each other.  We have a huge coop and only had 4 ladies in it.  Each chicken had 8 sq. feet, so there was no squabbles.  If you give them space and fill their needs, they live in harmony.  Well, mine did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...not sure 4 hens is a large enough control group to get a good feeling for chicken behavior.  I think we used to average about 16-20, depending on whether any one had been eaten recently.   They had plenty of room in a barn, and a fenced yard to run around in. If someone was willing to watch them, they got let out sometimes from the fenced yard.

 

The rooster went pretty much wherever he wanted. They usually proved impossible to contain.  These were "annual' chickens, who were layers and then got killed and eaten in the Fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...

....why is this thread not yet in teh P+R ?  Do I need to say something about socialism, or what ?:huh:

Because good people don't go to P&R.  That place is for degenerates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

.not sure 4 hens is a large enough control group to get a good feeling for chicken behavior.

Apparently, it is a GREAT sized control group.  We had 8 chickens and a rooster (and turkeys and guinea hens and ducks).  We didn't need to cut the beaks off any of our chickens, but we did trim their wing feathers to keep them from flying out of the coop.  They were purely egg laying chickens and not for consumption, and all pretty much the same age.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Peds is British. Of course they are boiled - like most everything else.

Recently a friend has shown me the secret to nice poaching of eggs, she also has cheap free range and organic duck eggs available, these gently poached to perfection, the yolks barely warmed, are truly scrumptious. But why people hipsters want to also put avocado on the muffin or toast as well as the egg is beyond me: literally over egging the pudding, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Apparently, it is a GREAT sized control group.  We had 8 chickens and a rooster (and turkeys and guinea hens and ducks).  We didn't need to cut the beaks off any of our chickens, but we did trim their wing feathers to keep them from flying out of the coop.  They were purely egg laying chickens and not for consumption, and all pretty much the same age.

Tom

...if you want to further experiment with domestic fowl and their behaviours, get yourself a pair of geese.  Highly recommended. They are meaner than a snake..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Because good people don't go to P&R.  That place is for degenerates.

...Team Snowflake versus Team Deplorable.  And the political solutions that might be possible are pushed farther down the road. *sigh* :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×