Premium grocery products at a very premium 50% higher price

Ralphie

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Recently a friend has shown me the secret to nice poaching of eggs, she also has cheap free range and organic duck eggs available, these gently poached to perfection, the yolks barely warmed, are truly scrumptious. But why people hipsters want to also put avocado on the muffin or toast as well as the egg is beyond me: literally over egging the pudding, IMO.

A restaurant near Augusta used to make something they called South of the Border.

It was an eggs benedict, to which they added avocado, smoked shrimp, mild green chile (the good stuff) and prob something I've forgotten. We stopped going when they stopped making it. It was fantastic.

9 minutes ago, late said:

A restaurant near Augusta used to make something they called South of the Border.

It was an eggs benedict, to which they added avocado, smoked shrimp, mild green chile (the good stuff) and prob something I've forgotten. We stopped going when they stopped making it. It was fantastic.

Fair play, I’d try it, eggs benedict and eggs Royale are classics, but that’s not to say they cannot stand a tweak sometimes.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:42 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My wife says she gets good deals, yet she always pays 50% more for eggz and bread - cage free, antibiotic and hormone free egss, and Sara Lee Bread that is 45 calories per slice vs 60 for the cheap stuff I think.  Marketing genius, both of those! 

The discount grocery store, Aldi, has cheap 40 Cal/slice - big slices - bread, but what works for my diabetic blood better is their cheap 60 Cal/slice soft whole wheat bread. I think the extra fiber helps keep the sugars from dissolving into my blood too fast: the more processed something is, the easier/faster it usually is for your intestines to process.

Note that, in the USA, "cage free" does NOT mean access to outdoors.  It simply means the hens are not kept in 8'x8' cages and they can be kept in those big, cramped chicken houses where nutritional liquid nozzles drip.  The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture is famous for letting producers lie to the public - from carrots being good for your eyes to unusual benefits from milk in adults.  "Cage Free" means the same as "Free Range" except that free range chickens are allowed "outside" for at least 15 minutes/day in very large chicken-wire cages.

Your best bet for humanely raised chicken eggs, at a reasonable cost, would be your neighborhood chicken people.  You can get a hookup with locals and buy their eggs.  

Also, we have a small egg producer here.  I have seen their operation.  They have a big pasture and these like hoop houses.  In the day, you can see the chickens roaming around on fresh grass.  It is a lovely operation.

• Heart 1