Another month and a half of political ads might drive me over the edge

Ralphie

56 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Another month and a half of political ads might drive me over the edge

It is blissfully quiet around my neck of the woods. Got a couple of races but not too many ads (that I see) or even campaign signage.

Tom

I don't really mind the political ads.  I do mind that there are blatant falsehoods being presented in them as fact.  I my example above of 2 men running for governor and both claiming that they will reduce taxes and the other will raise them both are telling the truth....and neither means what people think they mean.  Each is reducing one form of tax while increasing others to balance the equation.  One wants to reduce property tax while raising income tax.  One wants to reduce income tax but double the sales tax to over 13%.

Both are essentially campaigning on tax reduction and both are simply full of it.  Clearly tax reduction isn't what's going to happen so the campaign is a sham.  Both sides have followers however who are eating this shit up.

So the bottom line is that the ads are aimed at the brain dead.

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't really mind the political ads.  I do mind that there are blatant falsehoods being presented in them as fact.  I my example above of 2 men running for governor and both claiming that they will reduce taxes and the other will raise them both are telling the truth....and neither means what people think they mean.  Each is reducing one form of tax while increasing others to balance the equation.  One wants to reduce property tax while raising income tax.  One wants to reduce income tax but double the sales tax to over 13%.

Both are essentially campaigning on tax reduction and both are simply full of it.  Clearly tax reduction isn't what's going to happen so the campaign is a sham.  Both sides have followers however who are eating this shit up.

So the bottom line is that the ads are aimed at the brain dead.

Nobody promised truth in advertising or politics.  :) 

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Nobody promised truth in advertising or politics.  :) 

I don't expect truth.  I also don't tolerate outright bullshit.  The adds around here are almost 100% the latter.  They won't even begin to discuss the real problems facing the state.  They are all campaigning against a former governor and how his state's economy went in the tank and he negotiated hard contracts with the state workers.  They are simply promising things they can't deliver in exchange for votes.  

"Everything will be fine" "Lower taxes". 

As usual, the real truth will come out sometime next year.

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Not for Canadians..seriously I don't see them.

When I completed my graduate research at U. of Toronto in 1975 (my degree is from IIT but my research advisor went from IIT to Toronto so I finished my last semester there) I do remember a political TV ad when someone local named Nixon (not related to the recently disgraced U.S. President) was being ridiculed.  The ad simply showed a weathervane rapidly changing directions in a strong wind and, finally, a voice asked, "What's Nixon's position? Which way is the wind blowing?"  To this day I think it's one of the best political ads I've ever seen.

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I completed my graduate research at U. of Toronto in 1975 (my degree is from IIT but my research advisor went from IIT to Toronto so I finished my last semester there) I do remember a political TV ad when someone local named Nixon (not related to the recently disgraced U.S. President) was being ridiculed.  The ad simply showed a weathervane rapidly changing directions in a strong wind and, finally, a voice asked, "What's Nixon's position? Which way is the wind blowing?"  To this day I think it's one of the best political ads I've ever seen.

That does sound like a good ad.  I was still in high school so probably didn't pay attention..  The political ads on Canadian tv ..at least aren't really there.. probably closest is a tv news broadcaster interviewing a political candidate ..  Occasionally...but there has to be bucks to pay the tv station.  I don't know the rules the CRTC has on this.  (Canadian Radio TV Commission).  However other Canucks can speak up since I"m not much of a tv watcher.