Do you feel people over puncuate?

bikeman564™

Well, I suppose some people do, and others do not. I don’t think they teach it well in schools these days, and in our schools at least, there is little to no attention given to English grammar: I meet foreigners every day, from many different regions and countries, and almost invariably they have more knowledge of our grammar than do most natives, which is shaming to we Brits. It seems foreigners are taught their own grammar and therefore when learning a second language such as English they are well placed to also attend to the English grammar they are trying to acquire. Multiple punctuation is risible, as is nearly all usage of ! IMO of course.

A lot of people use commas in place of the word "then". 

Example: If you are under 4 feet tall, you cannot ride the roller coaster.  (WRONG) 

Example: If you are under 4 feet tall then you cannot ride the roller coaster.  (CORRECT)

The clauses on both sides of the comma are supposed to be complete sentences.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I do. A singular period, question mark, or exclamation point works just fine IMO. Although exclamation points are overly used. Anywho, some people use multiple or combinations such as, ????, ?!?!, !!!!. Why? Discuss :)

I love(!!!!) the overuse of question marks and exclamation points!  I feel it puts emphasis on questions/comments that may otherwise not be noticed when read, but which would be obvious in a spoken conversation.

Tom

• Heart 2
  • Whatever 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Example: If you are under 4 feet tall, you cannot ride the roller coaster.  (WRONG) 

Example: If you are under 4 feet tall then you cannot ride the roller coaster.  (CORRECT)

This makes, good sense. ;)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Hmm, that seems to conflict with this:

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/comma-splice-examples.html

OK, this says independent clauses are ok IF they are joined by a small conjunction.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Here is my favourite punctuation protection society, from England, natch!  The poor apostrophe gets misused more than..., well, a lot!

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

And my favourite punctuation book is of course, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. :D

On a local supermarket door was a crudely handwritten sign

THESE DOOR’S SLIDE OPEN

of course I allus wondered what they slid open?

• Awesome 1