Will a 700c tube work on a 29'r?

ChrisL

In a pinch it will work, but you will have a tire that will wear uneavenly if you push it to hard and far.. I have tried this once years ago, but made sure I changed it out when I got home..  I had a flat on a commute from school and had the wrong size tube.. I accidentally grabbed the one for my kids trek instead of mine. I used a 29 in a 700 (opposite of your issue) I had extra tube I had to figure out how to tuck into the tire and could get a full aired tire.

Edit: your scenario would be like trying to put a skinny kid and a fat person's pair of pants. 

1 hour ago, Further said:

Try it. 

A tube isn't that expensive, stick a 700c in there and ride around the hood, or on the trainer for a while.  My guess is that it will hold for a while, I'd hold the speed down.

It's not something I really want to "try" as I don't have a compressor and seating the bead is a complete PITA as well as having to put in new sealant.  

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

In a pinch it will work, but you will have a tire that will wear uneavenly if you push it to hard and far.. I have tried this once years ago, but made sure I changed it out when I got home..  I had a flat on a commute from school and had the wrong size tube.. I accidentally grabbed the one for my kids trek instead of mine. I used a 29 in a 700 (opposite of your issue) I had extra tube I had to figure out how to tuck into the tire and could get a full aired tire.

Edit: your scenario would be like trying to put a skinny kid and a fat person's pair of pants. 

Hmm OK.  I intend to keep them tubeless, so it's really a matter of just getting me back home.

i guess I wasn't clear in that my bigger issue is I don't want a giant saddle bag with an enormous 29'r tube in it. I'm looking for a smaller lighter cleaner set up.  But I also don't want to hike a bike for miles as I have a tube that won't work in the tire...

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It's not something I really want to "try" as I don't have a compressor and seating the bead is a complete PITA as well as having to put in new sealant.  

Hmm OK.  I intend to keep them tubeless, so it's really a matter of just getting me back home.

i guess I wasn't clear in that my bigger issue is I don't want a giant saddle bag with an enormous 29'r tube in it. I'm looking for a smaller lighter cleaner set up.  But I also don't want to hike a bike for miles as I have a tube that won't work in the tire...

You can always say F it and call an Uber. They are all over the place nowadays :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Get Awesome. I've been using these for years. I  also run an Escape Keg for my tools. 

GRISTLE STRAP<br>PLUS/FAT TUBE SADDLE MOUNT

NWRC Escape KEG

• Heart 1