Educate me about curry paste.

Airehead

Paste is more intense and flavourful.  For eggplant it may be worthwhile to try yellow first...are you adding any tomatoes to the dish?  Or?

I confess, I sorta make up my own dishes ? with bought green curry paste.  It's an Asian firm that produces it. Just a thimble size packs a punch for dish serving 2 people.  I haven't bought red curry paste yet/tried it at home.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Airehead said:

Which color for which use. I bought red for an eggplant recipe but already had yellow at home. 

Right, use the red one for making a red curry, and I suppose the yellow one for a more yellowish curry? Which colour curry do you fancy eating? Personally, making an Indian curry I stick with the powdered masalas that come foil wrapped and sealed from Pakistan or India, however for Thai curry I do like and use the pastes ready made in the plastic tubs, Mae Ploy brand.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have no idea what mine is...the brand is in Thai. 

I'm not worried if the label for ingredients is bilingual.

That is usually my school of thought on these types of purchases. Unless it is Korean and then I make Mr. Aire check to make sure it doesn't say , " Junk we sell Americans". 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Airehead said:

That is usually my school of thought on these types of purchases. Unless it is Korean and then I make Mr. Aire check to make sure it doesn't say , " Junk we sell Americans". 

Sometimes I do buy ingredients from Asian shops that have no bilingual label. 

So it is taking a chance..and usually something I wouldn't eat a lot constantly: ie. dried tiger lily buds, wood fungus, certain seaweeds.  If it's small amounts, I don't worry.  My mother is very big on knowing sources of food.  She who speaks very little English, gives us lectures on food safety.  So this is my sources/influence on how I shop Asian sourced foods.

I don't buy the Asian processed snacks and junk food....simply because it's not healthy..like the North American junk food.

• Heart 1