So what happened turning 60

shootingstar

8 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I did not celebrate in style...it was just another birthday.

Mine will probably be quiet with dearie.  Usually it's a dinner --either he makes or we go somewhere. Then a cake/something at home.  

My family and friends are in another province, far away.  My 40th was a surprise party put on by family when I lived in Toronto.

Somehow when I was in my 20's, I imagined turning 60 would have me frail, etc.

19 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Turning 60 did not hit me near as much as my kid brother turning 50 two months later. No way that could be, he's just a kid.

Yup...when I turn 60 in Jan., my youngest sibling turn 50 a few months later.  I sung lullabyes to her as a baby.  At my father's funeral, I gave the lst euology as the eldest and she gave one as the youngest. I was in slight awe...she was doing the whole thing without notes and gazing out at the audience fearlessly.  Well you hope...she is the physician in the family.  Meanwhile I have memory of her @19...f*ckin' and sh*t that....

I never dreamt I would be cycling @60 yrs. Not in a million years.  In my 20's, I occasionally dreamt about returning to cycling.

45 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yup...when I turn 60 in Jan., my youngest sibling turn 50 a few months later.  I sung lullabyes to her as a baby.  At my father's funeral, I gave the lst euology as the eldest and she gave one as the youngest. I was in slight awe...she was doing the whole thing without notes and gazing out at the audience fearlessly.  Well you hope...she is the physician in the family.  Meanwhile I have memory of her @19...f*ckin' and sh*t that....

I never dreamt I would be cycling @60 yrs. Not in a million years.  In my 20's, I occasionally dreamt about returning to cycling.

In two months or so, I will be 65, and the kid bro 55 in January.

• Heart 1

My 60th was near a bottom point in physical fitness. At age 52 I was slightly overweight, a little over 200 lbs, but running up to 9 miles with the teenagers on the high school cross country team I coached.  But by then both of my Achilles Tendons had had operations and physical therapy and had reached the point where they ached after any running at all.

So I became very sedentary and by 60 was at 307 lbs and a 1.5 mile walk was a big effort.  I started bicycling, knowing it would be easier on my Achilles tendons and had the saddle lowered 1" below the "optimum" leg extension. I've since raised it 0.5" higher and the Achilles Tendons no longer ache after exercise.  Adjusting diet and exercise I'm in much better shape now, though shoulder and hip problems have limited me recently, but I'm improving in weight and fitness.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

My 60 is in May. I will let you know then. My wife threw a big party for the 50, I don't want one for 60. I want to do a big adventure ride like Petite. I am looking at riding the East Coast Greenway from Calais ME to Portland ME next summer. I also want to ride the GAP trail and the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park. We'll see who wins.

13 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I also want to ride the GAP trail and the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park. We'll see who wins.

My partner rode the Going to the Sun road to Glacier from Calgary, Alberta.... I think he was around 71 or was it 70?  Sorry he's done all sorts of solo bike trips, I can't keep it straight.

Hope you will do it.  Right now, the road might be closed because of the forest fire.  That was the case about 2 wks. ago.  So early fall might be better ?  Not sure. Sheepherder might speak better on weather since he's in Montana.

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

How was your 60th b-day?  Or 50th if you haven't hit it?

To me, turning 60 will probably anti-climatic.

Yeah, turning 50 was no big deal. Also, turning fifty means you officially don't have to give a shit about future birthdays.  Thus, I agree with you.  It's no big deal.

Heck turning 21 should have been a big one for me, but I was already married, and had already drunk more booze before turning 21 than I ever did after that time.  I think birthdays are more meaningful if you have a celebratory type of family.  Children always seem to get excited about everyone's birthday.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Heck turning 21 should have been a big one for me, but I was already married, and had already drunk more booze before turning 21 than I ever did after that time.  I think birthdays are more meaningful if you have a celebratory type of family.  Children always seem to get excited about everyone's birthday.

Married @21 yrs...that sounds so young these days!

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I was getting into bars when I was 19.  When I actually turned 21, I couldn't go to our favorite hangout.  At 25, I got a break on insurance.  At 50 I got an AARP card.  No more carrots out there..  ?

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I was getting into bars when I was 19.  When I actually turned 21, I couldn't go to our favorite hangout.  At 25, I got a break on insurance.  At 50 I got an AARP card.  No more carrots out there..  ?

Bob’s Big Boy Senior Discounts  at age 60

Great Clips Locations Nationwide  at age 65

...a couple more to look forward to.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

Bob’s Big Boy Senior Discounts  at age 60

Great Clips Locations Nationwide  at age 65

...a couple more to look forward to.

We do not have many of these businesses in our small town. However, we normally order off of the 'mature' menu at Perkins, when eating after 9:00pm in Billings or sometimes on the road. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I forgot. Something about getting older.

I keep on forgetting to use my senior's discount each month at a national drug store chain. (it's @55 yrs.)

Last night, dearie asked me what I wanted to do on my 60th.  I couldn't answer since my b-day falls on a Wed. which makes it awkward to pack in a long vacation weekend.  I don't even know what point I will be at in life....either employed or not employed. ?