Apparently, I'm More An XC Guy Than A Gravel Guy

Razors Edge

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

My Fargo takes me everywhere.

So you go far on your Fargo, do you???  :D  I notice you don't have a 1x on that Fargo, though (note the bikes in the video and the ones you recommend - 3 out of 4 are 1x).  What's your gearing?

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So you go far on your Fargo, do you???  :D  I notice you don't have a 1x on that Fargo, though (note the bikes in the video and the ones you recommend - 3 out of 4 are 1x).  What's your gearing?

Tom

The 1x was out of my price range. It's a 2x10. 28/42 in the front 11/36 in the back.

I don't understand why a 1x is more expensive. Fewer parts should equate to a lower price, no?

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

The 1x was out of my price range. It's a 2x10. 28/42 in the front 11/36 in the back.

I don't understand why a 1x is more expensive. Fewer parts should equate to a lower price, no?

Was everything else equal?  I would assume the 1x would be cheaper and lighter and a bit less fiddly, but if they figure it is the one "hard core" cyclists will buy versus "average" consumers, then when they stick it on the higher tier bike, they might also add the next tier up brakes, wheelset, and other bits????  So, if it was ALL other parts are the same, then a 1x should be a tad cheaper (volume would keep the two close in price) since you skip a FD but maybe add wider range RD, although I would assume most gravel RDs are, for Shimano, either GS (not SS) or MTB or are SRAM's wide range ones (like the WiFLI or Eagle stuff).

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Was everything else equal?  I would assume the 1x would be cheaper and lighter and a bit less fiddly, but if they figure it is the one "hard core" cyclists will buy versus "average" consumers, then when they stick it on the higher tier bike, they might also add the next tier up brakes, wheelset, and other bits????  So, if it was ALL other parts are the same, then a 1x should be a tad cheaper (volume would keep the two close in price) since you skip a FD but maybe add wider range RD, although I would assume most gravel RDs are, for Shimano, either GS (not SS) or MTB or are SRAM's wide range ones (like the WiFLI or Eagle stuff).

Tom

Yes, the 1x is a model up, so more expensive parts all around. I would think the drivetrain options would be Sram NX 1x on the low end and GX 1x on the high end, but they still offer 2x on a lot of bikes. 

I bought my Fargo used, so it is not stock. It has upgraded wheels and hubs. I like those. The previous owner put a Niner carbon fork on it. I'd rather have a fork with the three pack mounts for carrying stuff. So far, I have dealt with it rather than buying a Salsa fork to replace it.