Wouldn't This Be An Issue?

Razors Edge

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Isn't the Rohloff the gold standard of internal hubs?

...pretty much these days.  With the emphasis on gold.  I could never afford the entry costs. :(

I talked to the guy who services them on the West Coast once at a show, and he said they don't get too many of them back.  But for what you pay for one, I can buy about ten SA IGH hubs, even if I have to build a new wheel every time.  They are unsurpassed for gear range, though. I think that's why they show up on touring bikes.  They are definitely not made with user friendly servicing in mind.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

The transmission in your car suffers more extreme exposure than any bike. 14 gears in the Speedhub 500/14.

618px-Speed1c.png

...I have a postcard of that cutaway I got from the guy at the trade show.  It's one of those 3D ones, that looks like the parts move when you wiggle it back and forth a little in the light. :)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...pretty much these days.  With the emphasis on gold.  I could never afford the entry costs. :(

I talked to the guy who services them on the West Coast once at a show, and he said they don't get too many of them back.  But for what you pay for one, I can buy about ten SA IGH hubs, even if I have to build a new wheel every time.  They are unsurpassed for gear range, though. I think that's why they show up on touring bikes.  They are definitely not made with user friendly servicing in mind.

Yeah, I doubt I could ever afford one. My friend bought a used Karate Monkey for $800 that had the hub. He kept the hub and sold off the rest of the bike so the hub was cheap.