Another Gruppo?

Razors Edge

I'm pretty surprised companies think getting into the gruppo market is worth the investment.  SRAM sort of grew into the market essentially owned by Shimano and Campy, but really how many players can there be?  FSA is a big (in bike terms) manufacturer, but I would have to ask why they would think entering the gruppo market was worthwhile.  I get they make so many other pieces, it might be a logical next step, but it has to be the most complicated and costly step as well.

DSCF8260.jpgDSCF8259.jpg

Tom

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...I never really looked at FSA as a particularly high quality component maker, but maybe they've upscaled their stuff ?

The "Gruppo Guys" with the real cash are all into both "matchy- matchy" and "mine is better than yours".

I imagine, with your experience, you saw the heyday of that sort of nuttiness.  Campy folks are legendary in the defense of their gruppos AND their disdain for the "new" guys (Shimano).  I don't think SRAM or FSA or any others even register in their minds.  Of course, some Campy components can inspire passion due to their beauty.

Tom

...If you can imagine someone this old still riding a bike, I predate gruppo's.  When I first started riding, there was no such thing.

The hot setup was Campy shifters and derailleurs, maybe their hubs, and someone else's centerpull brakes.  Not even sure when Campy started making and selling brakes.

The hot performance setup on a lighter budget was Suntour shifters and derailleurs, and the aforementioned someone else's centerpulls.  The Suntour shifted better, but with the new high zoot cables and plastic lined indexing housing, you can make the Campy shift about as well. BITD you just had to get used to overshifting, and then releasing in one motion.

Honestly, the only reason I have so much Campy stuff is that I bought other guys' dream bikes when they got too old/fat/disinterested/quit riding because of________ .

Everything I have by the Campagnolo company came to me already on some bike or another.  My favorite 80's Italian bikes all have Shimano click shifting. :)