May be my busiest camping season ever.

jsharr

Here are my scout camping dates through the end of the year.  These are just camps that I am staffing.  It does not include any camps that I go on with the Cub Scout Pack or the Boy Scout Troops that I am a member of.

Gold Rush staffing Sep 21-23rd maybe  go out Saturday AM

Webelos Woods Staff Sept 28-30

Order of the Arrow Ordeal Oct 5-7

Cuboree  Staff Oct 12-14

CTX staffing Friday Nov 9th, Sat Nov 10

Wood Badge 128  Jan. 24-27 and Feb 7-10
  • Heart 1
  • Envious 1

2018 - with its onslaught of rain and thunderstorms - will go down as a shitastic camping year for us :(

We got a few local trips and the Washington state trip in, but all told, we missed a shot at a dozen or so weekend/long weekend camping trips due to actual or forecast rain. 

While we camp in the rain relatively often - note the Washington state trip - we don't generally set out into rain to camp.  Setting up during even a light drizzle, let alone a downpour, is not worth it, and I can usually find some better things to do with the time. 

Next year, though, it is supposed to be glorious EVERY weekend, so we have that to look forward to.

Tom

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

2018 - with its onslaught of rain and thunderstorms - will go down as a shitastic camping year for us :(

We got a few local trips and the Washington state trip in, but all told, we missed a shot at a dozen or so weekend/long weekend camping trips due to actual or forecast rain. 

While we camp in the rain relatively often - note the Washington state trip - we don't generally set out into rain to camp.  Setting up during even a light drizzle, let alone a downpour, is not worth it, and I can usually find some better things to do with the time. 

Next year, though, it is supposed to be glorious EVERY weekend, so we have that to look forward to.

Tom

Note that on most of my camping any more I am camp staff, which means I usually bring my cot and set it up in the corner to the staff lounge or dining hall.  We will hold the event rain or shine.

On some of these I will bring a tent or sleeping pad and sleep under the stars.  I always bring my tent, bag and pad, but often do not use it.  Depends on how busy I am and what role I am in that weekend.

When I staff, we are up before dawn to get ourselves fed and squared away and then we are busy cooking for the entire camp staff an d making sure all the scout campers have a great camping experience for the rest of the time.

Gold Rush is what is known as a Scout Reach event and it is for kids, many of them inner city kids who have never camped before.  Last year, the staff served over 1600 meals over the course of the weekend.

The other events are for my local district and will only have 300 to 500 scouts at them, and they scouts will feed themselves and camp as troops and packs and patrols, and I will just be there to help oversee and facilitate the events.

Wood Badge is an adult training event.  Takes place over two 3 day weekends, but staff camps for 4 days.  I will be a Troop Guide and will be responsible for overseeing the training for 6 adult participants both during and after the course.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

We camp year round in Scouts.  When I did Wood Badge a few years ago it was 18° degrees when I woke up on Saturday AM.  My tent had ice on it.  

I was camping with my sons scout troop when a cold snap  hit. I think the overnight low was somewhere around 20 below. We were at a scout campground, but it was just our troop and we didn't have keys to any of the buildings. This was pre cell phone days and we were happily building a big fire, making hot chocolate & mountain pies, when a scout administrator showed up to open the mess hall for us. We asked why, and he explained that several of the mothers had called in a panic about the cold. 

We thanked him, he went on his way, nobody went in the mess hall, nobody froze, a wonderful time was had by all. 

I'm sure some of those boys remembered ( still remember ) that night, and persevere through a bit of hardship rather than bail at the first obstacle.

Scouts is good shit.  

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While I still have my ScoutMaster uniform from decades ago. That along with my military uniform are two items of clothing just can't get rid of. However, when son was no longer in Scouts, it was a very happy day. Now I can camp because I want to camp.

I love to staff camps.  My youngest often staffs as well

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We have already had the "new"camper  trailer out 7 times.  Only had it 3 months.  Have at least 4 more trips on the books.  

You have a trailer, not a camper!  Jeebus.  If jsharr got his scout troop a trailer - I'd suggest a fifth wheel toy hauler - he wouldn't have any "roughing it" stories for us, and we'd question his Texicanism even more than we already do.

Tom

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You have a trailer, not a camper!  Jeebus.  If jsharr got his scout troop a trailer - I'd suggest a fifth wheel toy hauler - he wouldn't have any "roughing it" stories for us, and we'd question his Texicanism even more than we already do.

Tom

I like being trailer trash.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I like being trailer trash.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think you said you actually "move" your trailer...

Tom

Just like everything else, there are classes of white trash.   @Parr8hed is part of the 1% not the 99%.   He gets a new red cup for each drink and does not pick up his cigarette butts to harvest the remnants and roll his own.

• Haha 1