I hope I am retired before these kids reach the workforce

2Far

'Lawn mower parents' are the new 'helicopter moms'

The writer continued to define the “lawn mower parents” as those willing to go to “whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure.”

“Instead of preparing children for challenges, they mow obstacles down so kids won’t experience them in the first place,” they added.

There was a mom here who wanted to opt-out her child from standardized testing because he got stressed about it. Hey mom, life IS stressful, you aren't helping your child by removing the stressors from their lives.

• Heart 1

Speaking of lawn mower parents, the kid next door is 6'3" and a junior in high school. He does not have any chores and never has mowed the lawn. His parents are divorced and the dad has primary custody. The dad is afraid that if he makes the kid do any work, he will go stay with the mother more. Nothing wrong with the mother; rather, it's a control thing for the dad.

The kid is already one year behind in school as he (1) doesn't do homework and (2) won't walk the 1/2 mile to school if he oversleeps and misses the bus.

I told the dad that he needs to buy a new house with a basement because that's where the kid will be living for the next 50 years. I wasn't joking.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Envious 1

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

There was a mom here who wanted to opt-out her child from standardized testing because he got stressed about it. Hey mom, life IS stressful, you aren't helping your child by removing the stressors from their lives.

I opt my kid out of the testing because I think the testing is pure BS and has nothing to do with being in the workforce. Nowhere on a college apply does it ask you for your schools standardized testing score. 

Also I had a fight with the ast principal about this test.. he told me he would fail my child if I pulled him out if the test because of a Dr apt.. I said if that's the case, then so be it. Don't threaten me or my child over a test.. the next day he apologized to me. Now Everytime I see him he calls me Sir..

12 hours ago, 2Far said:

We need to move these people to Canada. 

Couch 

All you need to know is presented in the morning traffic jam in front of all the towns schools as parents drop off children who can't possibly be allowed to travel on a bus.  Those who do ride the buses can be found at the end of their 80 ft long driveways sitting with a parent in an idling car waiting for said bus.

• Heart 2

16 hours ago, 2Far said:

Kinda similar "stress" story. I heard on the news a few days ago that a school district will/may get rid of the prom king & queen title because it stresses out the kids who didn't win ? seriously wtf? In lieu of that, some excellence award  will be given, not sure what this is or will do. They should just cancel all sports because loosing sucks and makes people sad :( or quit keeping score :) I'm kidding here of course, but this shit needs to stop. What happens when these flowers are in the work force and don't get a raise, or promotion. or their idea isn't used etc? Will mom come in to talk to their boss? I feel some of these kids are in for a rude awakening.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Kinda similar "stress" story. I heard on the news a few days ago that a school district will/may get rid of the prom king & queen title because it stresses out the kids who didn't win ? seriously wtf? In lieu of that, some excellence award  will be given, not sure what this is or will do. They should just cancel all sports because loosing sucks and makes people sad :( or quit keeping score :) I'm kidding here of course, but this shit needs to stop. What happens when these flowers are in the work force and don't get a raise, or promotion. or their idea isn't used etc? Will mom come in to talk to their boss? I feel some of these kids are in for a rude awakening.h

I've been in the workforce for over 30 years ? and I have been dealing with folks like this that whole time - often folks who are quite a bit older than me.  I always harken back to my distant :(childhood when the kids of the 50s and 60s were hitting adulthood and were cast as ne'er-do-wells and unprepared for the road ahead.  Sure, times are tough now as those folks did take over the reins, but it's not like it is a complete disaster.

Tom

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've been in the workforce for over 30 years ? and I have been dealing with folks like this that whole time - often folks who are quite a bit older than me.  I always harken back to my distant :(childhood when the kids of the 50s and 60s were hitting adulthood and were cast as ne'er-do-wells and unprepared for the road ahead.  Sure, times are tough now as those folks did take over the reins, but it's not like it is a complete disaster.

Tom

Boomers!

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Boomers!

Exactly. But just one example for sure.  Book after book after book written (plenty of stereotypical movies as well) about them and how they were different from previous generations and how bad it might get.

Tom

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly. But just one example for sure.  Book after book after book written (plenty of stereotypical movies as well) about them and how they were different from previous generations and how bad it might get.

Tom

I'm one of the oldest boomers possible.  I was born 10 months after the end of the war.  Like every generation there are "good" and "bad" (very subjective terms based on the viewpoint of the teller) in every generation.  To say that broad brushing has simply created many more memes than not would be understatement.  The meme is so strong that some want to create an artificial distinction near the end of the boomer generation so that they can pretend not to be.

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Kinda similar "stress" story. I heard on the news a few days ago that a school district will/may get rid of the prom king & queen title because it stresses out the kids who didn't win ? seriously wtf?.............

I've heard about these Proms and let me tell you I'm dead against them.

Apparently, they are traditionally the setting for teens indulging in untrammeled hochmandy so of course, I'm against anything of that nature....yes indeedy.

As a teacher from the '80's to '00's, it was so clear to my colleagues and me that kids whose parents shield them from responsibility endanger their kids future success.  But America's parents and courts have stripped away the ability to associate bad behavior with consequences.  Today, if a teacher catches a kid smoking, the teacher will be grilled with questions like, "Did you see him actually put the cigarette to his lips or was he just holding it in his hand?"

There are few, if any allowed punishments for frequently showing up late to school except, of course, failing the missed courses.  The result of such attitudes is to produce young adults with poor comprehension of what responsibility is and how to deal with difficult situations.

In the mid 00's, my County-wide school system paid me to spend time at various companies in our county to determine how well prepared our high school graduates were to enter the work-force.  I spent time with a printing company, an auto-repair shop, United Airlines operation at BWI Airport, a sunroof construction company, restaurants, and more.  The BIGGEST problem was showing up on time for work.  On company offered young people 1/2 day off with pay if they simply showed up on time for work for a month!

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As a teacher from the '80's to '00's, it was so clear to my colleagues and me that kids whose parents shield them from responsibility endanger their kids future success.  But America's parents and courts have stripped away the ability to associate bad behavior with consequences.  Today, if a teacher catches a kid smoking, the teacher will be grilled with questions like, "Did you see him actually put the cigarette to his lips or was he just holding it in his hand?"

There are few, if any allowed punishments for frequently showing up late to school except, of course, failing the missed courses.  The result of such attitudes is to produce young adults with poor comprehension of what responsibility is and how to deal with difficult situations.

In the mid 00's, my County-wide school system paid me to spend time at various companies in our county to determine how well prepared our high school graduates were to enter the work-force.  I spent time with a printing company, an auto-repair shop, United Airlines operation at BWI Airport, a sunroof construction company, restaurants, and more.  The BIGGEST problem was showing up on time for work.  On company offered young people 1/2 day off with pay if they simply showed up on time for work for a month!

I experienced the same problem when I was responsible for finding work-places for youngsters about to leave my school. They were already disadvantaged by having been in residential care following offenses, yet failed to recognise the opportunity they were being given.

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

I've heard about these Proms and let me tell you I'm dead against them.

Apparently, they are traditionally the setting for teens indulging in untrammeled hochmandy so of course, I'm against anything of that nature....yes indeedy.

So you're against them for another reason than aforementioned?

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You mean hochmagandy.  Just like @pedalphile, you guys can't even get your own strange words right.  And for the record, the word 'sex' is 3 keystrokes and hoch-a-ma-thingy is at least 9 and actually 11 if you spell it correctly.

#unbelievable

What can I say.....I'm old.... and a misspelling is insignificant compared to the fact that today I remembered to wear trousers. 

I ask you in all humility.......does the word "Sex" in any way compare to the grandeur of "Hochmagandy" as it rolls off the tongue?

6 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

What can I say.....I'm old.... and a misspelling is insignificant compared to the fact that today I remembered to wear trousers. 

I ask you in all humility.......does the word "Sex" in any way compare to the grandeur of "Hochmagandy" as it rolls off the tongue?

Dear old man Sir,

Using the words tongue and sex in the same sentence here can get you suspended.  Ok maybe not but it should.

Your faithful friend,

Kzoo

• Heart 1