The end of an Era

pedalphile

Yesterday we buried my mother, who died a week last Thursday, aged 93, she died peacefully, at her care home where she has lived for the last 6 years, after a decline over the previous week,  my sister was at her side. We gave her a fit send off, a Catholic service was given at the graveside, and a bagpiper played, it was beautiful and moving: she was a lovely and much loved lady.

With that, and all the stress and tensions of the last fortnight, and getting home late and spent, I make no wonder that I forgot to ride my bike yesterday, for the first day in more than a dozen years. So, the end of an era indeed. Rest well, Mom.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 8

26 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Yesterday we buried my mother, who died a week last Thursday, aged 93, she died peacefully, at her care home where she has lived for the last 6 years, after a decline over the previous week,  my sister was at her side. We gave her a fit send off, a Catholic service was given at the graveside, and a bagpiper played, it was beautiful and moving: she was a lovely and much loved lady.

With that, and all the stress and tensions of the last fortnight, and getting home late and spent, I make no wonder that I forgot to ride my bike yesterday, for the first day in more than a dozen years. So, the end of an era indeed. Rest well, Mom.

I am very sorry to hear all this, how are you holding up?

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Pretty well, at least to say, staying pretty chipper much of the time and keeping busy pottering about house and garden, playing with my wood; only crying like a baby in quieter, though sometimes unexpected moments.

It's tough but with time you will learn to cope.  It was tough losing my mom a few years back.  We still talk about her often as she was such a large part of my kids lives.

21 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I actually agree with you: though naturally gutted on one level about the fubar with the run, I did have a wry smile with the significance of the day’s events being the cause of my lapse, it was indeed fitting. My sister said today, Maybe it was Mom saying you could have a day off .

So well said. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Sorry about your mom :(  and sending you a hug...tomorrow marks 37 years since I lost mine..and some days it feels like yesterday.  I hope you have lots of fond memories of the time you spent together.  Memories, stories, laughter and maybe a pint or two don't take the pain of the loss away...but recalling the good times can bring joy to your heart.  Peace.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 2