So it looks like instead of updating the iphone SE, Apple dropped it

Ralphie

As with computers, the apple product is mostly for snobs.  There are plenty of Android devices out there, many of which can meet your needs.  While apple has some market niches for it's products, like the printing industry their main path to success was in giving 100 thousand free apple computers to schools which helped indoctrinate a generation of applephiles.

:nodhead:

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

As with computers, the apple product is mostly for snobs.  There are plenty of Android devices out there, many of which can meet your needs.  While apple has some market niches for it's products, like the printing industry their main path to success was in giving 100 thousand free apple computers to schools which helped indoctrinate a generation of applephiles.

:nodhead:

:ph34r:

I got hooked on my daughters' hand me downs.  Very nicely designed and durable. 

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I really don't know.  I have an LG that cost me a dollar.  It makes phone calls, sends texts, takes pictures, has my grocery list and my Garmin Connect.

You don't understand "cost" do you?

BTW, what OS version is your Android running?  The latest, fully patched and all exploits secured version? I didn't think so.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BTW, what OS version is your Android running?  The latest, fully patched and all exploits secured version? I didn't think so.

Tom

I understand that it cost me a dollar and that my plan for phone calls and texts is free.  So is my first 100m of data use on a non Wifi connection.  I don't use data so the $12 per G is meaningless except for once last year when I used $12 of data during an extended power outage.  I don't do anything on my phone that would require any security at all.

Do you understand my costs?  Well, do you punk? <dirty harry voice>

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I'm with @maddmaxx.  Most of that shit is just that -- shit.  Suckers who wanna pay big bucks who want to play the new gadget game.  I bought a Huawei for $200 from China off of eBay.  I regularly take pictures of my junk just in case they're spying.  I gotta make it worth their time.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Bingo.  May I suggest taking photos of your junk just in case somebody's hacking it??  As long as it's not your face in the picture or a giveaway tattoo -- you're good.

He needs to worry about @donkpow.  That dude can sniff out unsecured mobile devices.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel lucky!

Tom

It's the Xfinity plan.  You can do it my way for free or the other way at $45 per month per line..........my way is free for all three lines.  Don't do it my way if you're banking from your phone, buying from your phone, checking your retirement investments from your phone, watching streaming video on your phone or playing crazy birds on your phone.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It's the Xfinity plan.  You can do it my way for free or the other way at $45 per month per line..........my way is free for all three lines. 

But seriously, how do you like them? Supposedly, they roll on their wifi hotspots, and only jump to cellular (usually Verizon) when they need to?????

What would be your recommendation - thumbs up or down?  We're on Comcast already for internet and tv, so it is an option to bundle some more :( but I do worry it then would also tie me to Comcast more than I want to be.  Right now, I could jump to FiOS in a snap, get the discount for a while, then jump back to Comcast.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But seriously, how do you like them? Supposedly, they roll on their wifi hotspots, and only jump to cellular (usually Verizon) when they need to?????

What would be your recommendation - thumbs up or down?  We're on Comcast already for internet and tv, so it is an option to bundle some more :( but I do worry it then would also tie me to Comcast more than I want to be.  Right now, I could jump to FiOS in a snap, get the discount for a while, then jump back to Comcast.

Tom

I was already on a comcast full boat.  The internet here was to die for.  When I was working I could do it faster from home than on my T1 line at work.  The phone works for me because I don't us 4G data.  I operate from Wifi hotspots if for any reason I need to away from home.  I enable them, use them and disable them immediately.  I do not use the phone for navigation but I have gone 4G briefly to get an address or a closing time for a store or restaurant.  That's always fallen inside my 100m free.

When I started the plan Wilbur asked how Comcast made money with this.

1.  You are correct in that you need to already have comcast television and internet (I also have their landline service) so if you don't then there are new fees.

2.  It appears to me that a lot of people can't put down the phone and therefor need the $45 per line option.

3.  It also appears to me that most people buy phones that are much more expensive than the one's I own.

4.  You will need to keep your current Xfinity TV and internet for two years........or pay the retail price for the phone.

• Awesome 1

While I had a smartphone before, it was awful. I quickly stopped using it, and about a year later, when I pulled it out of a drawer to take a trip, it was dead.

Which is to say I am thinking about buying my first real smartphone. I like the looks of that walmart refurb apple. Like Maxx, I'm no fan of apple, but they are supposed to be good. The most I'd be willing to pay is $300. I won't be doing a contract. I've used  Consumer Celllular for a dumbphone, they're ok, and they are willing to send me a sim card.

Amazon has good prices on their Prime phones, but some reviewers don't like the Amazon bloatware.

With most things, I can spend hours going over things. I don't actually like cellphones, but they're just too damn useful to ignore. To be honest about it, what's tipped me over the edge is I want to get a heart attack app. I'm at that age. There was a guy I used to argue with constantly at BF P&R, but I really liked him. He had a big one on his trainer, and keeled over dead. Aside from his goofy politics, we had a lot in common.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I checked the reviews on walmart and amazon for the iphone 6. Lots of negative reviews on both. So no refurbs, I guess.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was already on a comcast full boat.  The internet here was to die for.  When I was working I could do it faster from home than on my T1 line at work.  The phone works for me because I don't us 4G data.  I operate from Wifi hotspots if for any reason I need to away from home.  I enable them, use them and disable them immediately.  I do not use the phone for navigation but I have gone 4G briefly to get an address or a closing time for a store or restaurant.  That's always fallen inside my 100m free.

When I started the plan Wilbur asked how Comcast made money with this.

1.  You are correct in that you need to already have comcast television and internet (I also have their landline service) so if you don't then there are new fees.

2.  It appears to me that a lot of people can't put down the phone and therefor need the $45 per line option.

3.  It also appears to me that most people buy phones that are much more expensive than the one's I own.

4.  You will need to keep your current Xfinity TV and internet for two years........or pay the retail price for the phone.

I'm not a math genius, but how is that free? You pay them for cable, internet service, and phone. $100/month, $150/month, $200/month? So they throw a LG phone your way with basic service and you claim it's free. I guess we define free in different ways. You're paying them $1200-$2400/year and you say it's free. 

1 hour ago, dennis said:

I'm not a math genius, but how is that free? You pay them for cable, internet service, and phone. $100/month, $150/month, $200/month? So they throw a LG phone your way with basic service and you claim it's free. I guess we define free in different ways. You're paying them $1200-$2400/year and you say it's free. 

It's kind of like being married.  The sex is free.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dennis said:

There were no additional charges beyond what I would have anyway.  I did not go with Xfinity because of the phone.  I believe Edge and many others already have the required services as well.  Stepping up to the phone is indeed free vs not stepping up to the phone.

I suppose I could stand on the principal of the phone not being free because of the things I'm already paying for and refuse to get it however.

That explains it. While wife has the SE, thought it was strange on T-Mobile's site their marketing touting trade in for new models omitted the 6SE as a trade-in model while they did list earlier 5 models.

Another thing I noticed in terms of size, you can't go by screen size. You have to look at physical measurements. Doesn't apply to the SE with the 5 form factor, but when comparing the (standard size - not plus) the 6 through 8 series with the X. They are physically the same dimension despite the X having the larger screen size. That larger screen is created by an edge to edge screen, eliminating the bezel that surrounds the 6 through 8 series with the measurement reflecting the physically viewable area of the screen.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Is it really important that the OS has a date.  I'm not particular who my OS is seeing.

But do they need a chaperone?

That was my biggest issue when I had a android phone.  With the latest and greatest android OS, AT&T decided when and if it would be pushed out to update existing phone. Usually 6+ months after the new OS was available and an even newer one was in the pipeline. In the meantime, some of the apps demanded a certain version and you couldn't run them. By contrast, Apple released IOS 12 a week ago, and you can download it from the day it was introduced in non-beta final format.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

That explains it. While wife has the SE, thought it was strange on T-Mobile's site their marketing touting trade in for new models omitted the 6SE as a trade-in model while they did list earlier 5 models.

Another thing I noticed in terms of size, you can't go by screen size. You have to look at physical measurements. Doesn't apply to the SE with the 5 form factor, but when comparing the (standard size - not plus) the 6 through 8 series with the X. They are physically the same dimension despite the X having the larger screen size. That larger screen is created by an edge to edge screen, eliminating the bezel that surrounds the 6 through 8 series with the measurement reflecting the physically viewable area of the screen.

Truth!  And the SE is downright petite these days!  I had a 5 and it was a pretty handy size for sure.  It even fit in that little inside jeans pocket.

image.png.e37ac751dd3945e340da96855b651a1f.png

And from the same PCMag article:

Let's Complain About the SE

The iPhone SE is going away. It's all a little sad; I hear a lot of anecdotal complaining from people who want small premium smartphones, but that constituency just doesn't seem to be big enough for any US carrier to continue to want to sell one.

For years now, Sony has made a pretty good "compact" line of Android phones, but US carriers have snubbed them. The iPhone SE, meanwhile, never got an upgrade.

Remember that the SE used old parts to achieve a profit on a lower-than-usual price for Apple. A few years ago, an Android OEM CEO told me off the record that US consumers pay for tech by the square inch: they just aren't willing to pay a high price for something that's smaller than something less expensive.

And analysts have told me there's no actual rush of women buying smaller phones. Samsung told me long ago that the large-phone trend was originally driven by female consumers, because they kept their phones in purses rather than pockets.

Tom

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There were no additional charges beyond what I would have anyway.  I did not go with Xfinity because of the phone.  I believe Edge and many others already have the required services as well.  Stepping up to the phone is indeed free vs not stepping up to the phone.

I suppose I could stand on the principal of the phone not being free because of the things I'm already paying for and refuse to get it however.

Would you go to an all you can eat buffet because they have free dessert?

You are paying them a ton of money. Nothing additional they give you is free. I'm not saying it's not a good deal and you shouldn't take it, but it's not free. 

And Apple products are not mostly for snobs. They work well, that is why people are willing to pay a premium for them. Just because it's not for you, doesn't make everyone who uses them is a snob. It means they are different from you.

• Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yup!  And we men suffer from it. :(

I don't think 8 would be too big of a jump for you in width.  You should give it a try.

They are "sort of" listening in that flip phones are in the works.  Not the traditional ones from years in the past, but fancy schmancy ones that just fold to have a smaller form factor than the current crop of smart phones. It still is an issue when being held in your hand opened, but it will fit easier in pockets or purses.  My wife's "clutch" or whatever you call the little handbag she carries for small items is too small for her phone with its monster-sized protective case. I tried to get her to go with a smaller case (she needs a case since she is pretty dangerous with her phone), but she likes the clunky one :wacko:

Tom  

I bought laptops for $1299 in the '90's and, as the next model improvements became smaller and smaller, $319 for a refurbished $599 top-of-the-line one in 2018.

That's beginning to happen with smartphones.  If you go one YouTube, there are a lot of photo/video side-by-side comparisons of S9 vs S7, etc. and there is minimal difference - definitely not worth paying $799 for an S9 vs $422 for an S7 if 5" is big enough with 128 GB SD storage ($40) and a great camera and display.

In a few years I'll probably replace the S7 with a 5" or 6" Note 12 for $300.