Greasing My Zipp's Bearings

Razors Edge

Question

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What's a "standard punch", where do you get one, how much do they cost, and is there a simple one time substitute I could use?

Practically anything called a "punch" will do so long as it can reach into the hub. You can use a flat bladed screwdriver. You're just driving the bearing out of the housing "shell". 

Reach in and place the end of your punch in the position indicated by the black arrow. Try not to gouge the hub shell and definitely do not let your tool slip into the red seal area. That where the ball bearings are. Give it a couple of taps and then move your tool to a position directly across from your current position. Repeat. If you are using a screwdriver, keep in mind there are two points on the end of the tool. You have to watch both points so that you don't gouge the hub. Blue arrows.

brg.png.e6b9958f2d1a33f08d3f1113888fd744.png

This is a set of punches. Pretty cheap. You can get them at any manly place. I've got a set of three that is well over thirty years old.

5521151-21.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

39 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The image I shared shows what are commonly referred to as "drift" or "taper" punches. I find they are the most common type of punches available. 

...yes.  Do you know why they call Zipp's "Speed Weaponry" ?  Has someone declared war on Strava ?

Should I be concerned ? There are people here on Strava too.   When I ride I'm usually not packing heat.

The good news is I swapped the Zipp for a different front wheel, and I think I still hear the same creaking.  So, the Zipps can be neglected for now :D

Of course, that means the bottom bracket may still be the culprit.  Time to swap pedals and see what I hear.  Then grease the seatpost.  Then strip everything but the bare necessities.  

Tom

• Heart 1