Were you born in the correct generation?

Ralphie

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Each generation, so far, seems better than the last, so while I'm happy being a Gen X'er, I think it would be pretty cool to see what the 22nd century holds for humanity.

Tom

That's not a universal view.  It is the view of generations young enough to not have the history of what they did wrong that older generations have however.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's not a universal view.  It is the view of generations young enough to not have the history of what they did wrong that older generations have however.

Maybe not, but Gen X seems better than BB. BB better than the Silent ones, who were better than their predecessors.  So, are Millennials or Gen Z surpassing Gen X?  Eventually.  And certainly from most or all measures of progress.  But feel free to argue that Gen X was the pinnacle of it all :D

Lost Generation
    G.I. Generation
    Silent Generation
    Baby boomers
    Generation X
    Millennials
    Generation Z

Tom

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe not, but Gen X seems better than BB. BB better than the Silent ones, who were better than their predecessors.  So, are Millennials or Gen Z surpassing Gen X?  Eventually.  And certainly from most or all measures of progress.  But feel free to argue that Gen X was the pinnacle of it all :D

Lost Generation
    G.I. Generation
    Silent Generation
    Baby boomers
    Generation X
    Millennials
    Generation Z

Tom

You simply have not been around long enough to have the knowledge of nor the humility for what you fucked up along the way.  You will be judged by generations to come who will suffer from the same blindness as those that went before.  The young rarely know what they don't know.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Lost Generation
    G.I. Generation
    Silent Generation
    Baby boomers
    Generation X
    Millennials
    Generation Z

Tom

And somewhere in there The Greatest Generation was missed...

As an example to Maxi's point.  Today we have civil unrest based on a racial divide.  "It will split this nation"  I am not here to argue the merits of either side.  I am hear to tell you that today's racial issues pale in comparison to the 60's (how soon we forget) AND the 60's pale in comparison to the 60's of a century before that when 100's of thousands died for their racial cause (right or wrong).

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well what the hell are we going to call the next one after Z?  This XYZ busyness reminds me of the little cats in the Hat of the Cat in the Hat. :D

I think it is just "unassigned" so far, since Gen X was not the 24th generation of anything but rather sort of like a "???" showing that the Gen X'ers had yet to define themselves (or been fully defined by others).  For Millennials, we sort of know what is sort of unique about them, but for the next cohort, we are still waiting.

Tom

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You didn't see the "GI Generation" listed?

Tom

Oh I did.  I just saw that it was appropriately mislabeled.

It's probably hard to call another generation the Greatest Generation if you think yours is.  ?

My parents generation "The Greatest Generation" thought we were going to destroy the world.  Detroit rioted, Watts burned, athletes protested, the National Guard shot down students, the US Army bulldozed protesters in DC with personal carriers, draft dodgers flocked to Canada, blacks were attacked with clubs, dogs and nooses, blacks were bussed to white schools and bullied all along the way, 18 yo boys were shipped to the other side of the world to be shot down by the thousands by people we didn't understand.  The world as we knew it was coming to an end.

I'm sure I have contemporaries that feel the same way today and it will probably be the same in generations to come.

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Oh I did.  I just saw that it was appropriately mislabeled. 

It's probably hard to call another generation the Greatest Generation if you think yours is.  ?

My parents generation "The Greatest Generation" thought we were going to destroy the world.  Detroit rioted, Watts burned, athletes protested, the National Guard shot down students, the US Army bulldozed protesters in DC with personal carriers, draft dodgers flocked to Canada, blacks were attacked with clubs, dogs and nooses, blacks were bussed to white schools and bullied all along the way, 18 yo boys were shipped to the other side of the world to be shot down by the thousands by people we didn't understand.  The world as we knew it was coming to an end.

I'm sure I have contemporaries that feel the same way today and it will probably be the same in generations to come.

So, the Lost Generation set all those things in motion? And the GI Generation "fixed" it all?  Makes sense.  Were the Baby Boomers really a "big nothing"?  With the Gen X'ers tasked with moving things forward again? 

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, the Lost Generation set all those things in motion? And the GI Generation "fixed" it all?  Makes sense.  Were the Baby Boomers really a "big nothing"?  With the Gen X'ers tasked with moving things forward again? 

Tom

You either have reading comprehension issues or you are attempting to bait me by trying to misrepresent what I said.

So to answer you questions... no, yes ,no, yes... or yes, no, yes, no.... or yes, yes, yes, yes...     depending on who you talk to.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You either have reading comprehension issues or you are attempting to bait me by trying to misrepresent what I said.

So to answer you questions... no, yes ,no, yes... or yes, no, yes, no.... or yes, yes, yes, yes...     depending on who you talk to.

Thanks

If you just explain this sentence, I think I will be clear: " My parents generation "The Greatest Generation" thought we were going to destroy the world.  "

Is the "we" you mention the Baby Boomers? Weren't the BBs essentially up in arms, with some GI Gen folks, about racism, sexism, and militarism? That racism, sexism, and militarism came from somewhere, and I was thinking it might be the Silent Gens "fault", but maybe I'm too young to figure it out.  I don't want to blame the GI Gen for segregation, Vietnam, and whatever set off the bra burners, so I opted for assuming the Silent Gen dumped it in the GI Gens lap, and they sorted it all out in time for the Baby Boomers to ride that wave to complacency.

Tom

18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Thanks

Tom is a Master Baiter!

• Haha 1

I wouldn't have hated to have grown up a decade or two so earlier, for the music scene. Turning 18 instead of 2 in 1973 might have been cool. Viet Nam draft was over, Floyd had just released Dark Side of the Moon, and so much new good music. Could have been fun. Instead, I have those concerts as recordings on CD to listen to, so that's ok, too. 

20 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I wouldn't have hated to have grown up a decade or two so earlier, for the music scene. Turning 18 instead of 2 in 1973 might have been cool. Viet Nam draft was over, Floyd had just released Dark Side of the Moon, and so much new good music. Could have been fun. Instead, I have those concerts as recordings on CD to listen to, so that's ok, too. 

I turned 18 in '73 and missing the draft was the coolest part.  I wasn't much into music.  I was old enough to have a keen understanding of what the late 60's meant.  My sisters lost good friends there.  They had traveled to DC to protest...  In 73 the war was ending, disco was somehow cool??? and life was good again (gas prices were still in the 30 cent a gallon range).  There was an economic downturn (or so I heard) but no one I knew participated in it.  All my friends got great paying jobs - summer or permanent.

And personally the Steelers and the Pirates were winners ?

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I wasn't much into music. 

There is the possibility that I wouldn't have been interested in the music that I love now if I hadn't grown up with it. In other words, if I had grown up in the 60's and it was new, would I have liked it less than I do having been immersed in it my entire life? No way to know!

I was born in the right generation......young enough to remember as a child the images and speeches on social justice, activism against sexism, racism, etc. in the 1960's-early 1970's and the whole ball of wax.

And to be inspired by that ...and to have become personally involved in certain organizations and activities --prior to cycling.  Being in the right generation..is not also taking for granted as beneficiaries of incredible hard work of the leaders for the social movements.  It helped me personally to become stronger as a person and benefitted different parts of my life, including my career.

Cycling as alternative transportation vs. pure car...is also a form of activism...to pressure municipalities for better transit, design neighbourhoods that are less car dependent.

I grew up with my grandparents. When I was quite young, my great-grandmother lived in the house, one of my early memories is the hubub around the funeral.

Gramps used to talk about migrating birds, so many they turned the day into night. One time he and his friends put a Model T on the roof of a barn. It was a different world.

Each generation finds itself in a new world. Hard to say if it's better or worse. There's a kid across the street, I think he's 14. He has a mtn bike, and this area has trails that are popular with mtn bikers. He never, ever, leaves the yard. Me and my friends were out wandering in grade school. What I see now is just appalling. It's stealing a big part of childhood from children. The ironic thing is that kids are twice as safe now as they were when I was a kid.

There are two eras I wish I could visit.  One, when Einstein was still kicking it.  I would have loved to stalked him and followed him around like a band roadie.  I would have loved watching the man think during his mind experiments.

And, the second would be when the vikings where kicking everyone's asses.  

Couch 

24 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

And, the second would be when the vikings where kicking everyone's asses.  

Couch 

I was in the national Danish museum in Copenhagen where they have a permanent Viking history exhibit.  The Vikings were brutal and rough.  They were like...Genghis Khan, the Asian Machiavelli.  Just ruthless to expand their empire. (I think Khan did better than the Vikings..in terms of sheer geographic plundering.)

I am so grateful I was born in the right place...Canada.  Incredibly humbling. Wouldn't have want to be born in China under Mao. 

Since I don't know about future eras, I don't know if I'm in the best one, but based on my personal interests, the newer the better.

Better medicine, elevated science, the Internet, etc.

Except for the fact that, coming from a poor family, I was able to work my way through undergrad college thanks to reasonably priced universities provided to us Baby Boomers by the previous, Depression-harmed generation, and probably wouldn't be able to do that now in the USA.

• Heart 1