More cancer

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

SIL has stage 4 lymphoma. My husband told me this is very bad, by the tears that he shed when she told us. I don't understand cancer terminology. 

Why do so many people get cancer now? Is it pollution and chemicals everywhere? 

Sorry to hear this.  People have always gotten cancer.  My mom's mother died of breast cancer in the 30's.  Is there more cancer or is it just better diagnosed than generations ago?  If a 70 yo got stomach or colon or lung cancer a couple generations ago and 'went down hill', was it diagnosed correctly?

Certainly chemicals contribute as does genetics and life style choices.

Sorry to hear that, DH.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

SIL has stage 4 lymphoma. My husband told me this is very bad, by the tears that he shed when she told us. I don't understand cancer terminology. 

I would wager that yes, it is.  Background radiation too.

Modern medicine has cured all kinds of things; afflictions that were a death sentence a century ago, we simply don't have to worry about anymore.  Not the case with cancer, for the most part.  

Therefore the end result is - the "miracle of modern medicine" will keep us alive long enough to get cancer.  :(

^ Kzoo's point about detection is a good one - maybe people are dying at the same rate, just 50 years ago they didn't know it was cancer.

Kzoo is correct in part.  We live longer so we are vulnerable to disease that might not have happened if we'd died earlier.  We have better medicine and diagnostic tools.  Today one is diagnosed with cancer instead of simply dying from it.

DH is also correct.  We are exposed to more dangerous things than previous generations.  Our food may not be as good.  Our exercise may not be as good.  People used to get a lot of exercise just working to survive.

We do hold off or interrupt cancer at a much better rate than in the past however.  Womaxx would be long gone if not for this.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Kzoo is correct in part.  We live longer so we are vulnerable to disease that might not have happened if we'd died earlier.  We have better medicine and diagnostic tools.  Today one is diagnosed with cancer instead of simply dying from it.

Pretty much my understanding. In other words, if you live long enough, you are going to get sick - often seriously - so cancer becomes one of the horrible sicknesses we all might face.  As we get better at fighting these diseases, we also then start to see folks who beat one illness facing a new one years later.  For example, both my parents have had cancer, been treated and cured, but are now in their seventies, which means we will eventually be dealing with some other illness - heart disease, Alzheimers, another cancer, etc.. 

This stuff is scary, but I think we are learning to treat the disease AND the patient a little better than in the past.  We all eventually die from something, but hopefully we chip away at the tragedy of it and learn to embrace each person's life as the blessing it is while they are here with us.  It is never too late to show family and friends that you love them.

Tom

How about this point of contention.  More people die of cancer because we as a group smoke less...

Use to be the smokers all died of of either cancer or emphysema at the age of 50 driving the average LE down.  Now we all live longer to get some other nasty cancer and lots more other stuff that needs treating.

"If more people smoked our overall cost of health care would drop."

55 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would guess my lymphomas and leukemia were caused by my nine years exposure to PCBs when I worked at Westinghouse. After they closed the plant they had guys in space suits come in and tear the building down. That tells you something about those PCBs.

Sorry to hear DH.  

Yeah I don't know if more people are getting it now or not. Cancer has ravaged my family over the years. My mom believes cancer took my grandmother (dads mom) young but she never saw a Dr (lived in rural Indonesia). My dad succumbed young to cancer at 59, 2 sisters had it and beat it and it took my mom a few years ago.  Maybe you have been fortunate up to now that those close to you haven't gotten it?

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Sorry to hear DH.  

Yeah I don't know if more people are getting it now or not. Cancer has ravaged my family over the years. My mom believes cancer took my grandmother (dads mom) young but she never saw a Dr (lived in rural Indonesia). My dad succumbed young to cancer at 59, 2 sisters had it and beat it and it took my mom a few years ago.  Maybe you have been fortunate up to now that those close to you haven't gotten it?

My Uncle died of it.  My Grandpa had prostate cancer, but lived to 97 years old.  My MIL has colon cancer.  I am very scared about the genetics for my husband.  We have not tested him for the markers, because we don't want that record anywhere for insurance purposes. 

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I would guess my lymphomas and leukemia were caused by my nine years exposure to PCBs when I worked at Westinghouse. After they closed the plant they had guys in space suits come in and tear the building down. That tells you something about those PCBs.

Could be, Longjohn.  but I have non-Hodgkins lymphoma and have not been around PCBs.  That said my grandmother, aunt, and a cousin (all on my Mom's side) had leukemia.