New door confused kats

maddmaxx

I put on a new screen door on the deck slider today and haven't gotten around to putting on the critter guard grate for the bottom half.  So far my cats have run into the screen 3 times as it looks like a wide open door.  Giza did it twice and then ran away from the door.  Athena once and then checked it out all over to determine what was going on.  Beemer just sniffed all the corners and stared for a while.

Now I have to overhaul the original door as I liked it better than this cheap one.

• Haha 2

Our cats made their own deck door last summer by scratching the screen until they tore out a hole. I decided I wanted something neater. 

Ya, I know it should have gone in the other way, but this way it swings the same way as the other (regular) doors they are used to. Didn't seem to help. They only use it now and again...

door.thumb.jpg.dc97ed4d0421e937e473f5d2e5701812.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

That's what the critter guard is for.  Originally it protected the door from raccoons and dogs but it also gives a fence like look to the lower half of the screen that prevents the cats from doing more than a cursory pluck every now and then.  Of course over the years that pluck turned into holes that mosquitoes can use so a new screen on the old door is one of the things to overhaul.  Then the door needs new wheels as one just shattered it's spring this morning and dropped one corner of the door onto the track.