Are thieves looking for quick times on Strava to try and find high-end bikes ?

Page Turner

...this guy says yes:

Jones said: “After the break-in, I was thinking it had to have been somebody who knows me – it felt so targeted and very personal. I was starting to look over my shoulder and thinking ‘who could it be?’

“But then after speaking to one of the cycling shops here, the chap said: ‘Are you quick and are you on Strava?’

“I had no idea that what criminals are doing is working out where people are cycling and on what routes, then using that to track where they live.

“They are making the correlation between people posting quick times and probably having the better equipment. I was so shocked when I realised what had happened, it must have been like a treasure chest to whoever broke in.”

I have heard this for about 10 years now.  More in the "they track you and learn your patterns", and then can 1) rob your place when you are on a ride, 2) rob you when you are riding, or 3) rob your garage for your bike(s).

I guess it is possible???? Not really a lot of folks in business of "break into people's houses to get a $5k or $10k bike that a pawn shop will give you a $100 for or you will get nabbed when posting on Craigslist".  So, to me, only #1 seems likely and in line with the warning not to place your mail on hold or temporarily suspend your newspaper service (or, the flip side of letting mail or newspapers pile up when away).  I think I actually heard of people worried about Uber/Lyft/taxi drivers picking folks up for an airport run, and then returning to rob empty houses. Same with robbing a home on Christmas Eve or Day when folks are at church, or reading the funeral announcements to see who will be at their spouses funeral and robbing the empty home. Or car shops cloning garage door openers or copying house keys and robbing a home later. Or...

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I have heard this for about 10 years now.  More in the "they track you and learn your patterns", and then can 1) rob your place when you are on a ride, 2) rob you when you are riding, or 3) rob your garage for your bike(s).

I guess it is possible???? Not really a lot of folks in business of "break into people's houses to get a $5k or $10k bike that a pawn shop will give you a $100 for or you will get nabbed when posting on Craigslist".  So, to me, only #1 seems likely and in line with the warning not to place your mail on hold or temporarily suspend your newspaper service (or, the flip side of letting mail or newspapers pile up when away).  I think I actually heard of people worried about Uber/Lyft/taxi drivers picking folks up for an airport run, and then returning to rob empty houses. Same with robbing a home on Christmas Eve or Day when folks are at church, or reading the funeral announcements to see who will be at their spouses funeral and robbing the empty home. Or car shops cloning garage door openers or copying house keys and robbing a home later. Or...

Tom

...it'st lucky for you that I have no use for a Di2 equipped plastic bicycle.

• 5 months later...

I guess it's possible.  I have privacy zones set up on my work and home.  I take a lot of different ways too.  People comment on how they will not see me ride by for weeks and then they see me.  My routes change constantly.  There are jumps and hits all over the place.  I share my love.

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have privacy zones set up on my work and home. 

???? What are those? A setting in Strava? Or Garmin?

I start and stop my rides at the beginning of the ride, not my driveway since I have about 100'-200' of navigation to go through first.

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

???? What are those? A setting in Strava? Or Garmin?

I start and stop my rides at the beginning of the ride, not my driveway since I have about 100'-200' of navigation to go through first.

On strava.  I set them pretty big.  I could have about 5 more QOMs, if I left it with no privacy.  You lose the crowns, in privacy zone, of course.  

Privacy is better I believe.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

On strava.  I set them pretty big.  I could have about 5 more QOMs, if I left it with no privacy.  You lose the crowns, in privacy zone, of course.  

Privacy is better I believe. 

Yeah - if you live on a street with houses spaced pretty far apart, it makes a lot of sense to do that. A local pro I follow on Strava - Joe D - starts/ends many of his rides at the foot of his driveway. Basically, that's telling every crazy fan "hey, I live here" and/or "I have a ton of nice bikes".

My hood is dense. You'd be hard pressed to decide which place I live in, and I also bet most of my neighbors don't kick their Garmins on until out of the houses. So, probably a lot of starts/finishes are all at the same place as mine.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - if you live on a street with houses spaced pretty far apart, it makes a lot of sense to do that. A local pro I follow on Strava - Joe D - starts/ends many of his rides at the foot of his driveway. Basically, that's telling every crazy fan "hey, I live here" and/or "I have a ton of nice bikes".

My hood is dense. You'd be hard pressed to decide which place I live in, and I also bet most of my neighbors don't kick their Garmins on until out of the houses. So, probably a lot of starts/finishes are all at the same place as mine.

Honestly, I don't think that I am a target, even with the fast times.  Low population area.  More money in San Francisco or Portland.

We pay our insurance premium, take pics of new bikes and hope for the best

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was mentioned that thieves look at the crowns.  I have pages of them.  Getting slower though, and losing a lot of crowns too.  Turn tide I guess. 

You need some guys to switch their genders!  Gobble the QoMs right up :D

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You need some guys to switch their genders!  Gobble the QoMs right up :D

Funny.  One of my guy friends said I should change my sex on Strava to compete with the guys.  

One of my prouder moments was taking down a guy on a segment that had the KOM.  I named my ride "KOM takedown."

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Funny.  One of my guy friends said I should change my sex on Strava to compete with the guys. 

How about an old dude (imagine someone like @Dottles) on an ebike!  That would be fun :)

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

One of my prouder moments was taking down a guy on a segment that had the KOM.  I named my ride "KOM takedown." 

You took him down? Like, rammed him with your bike? You're are a NUTTER :)

Just now, Razors Edge said:

How about an old dude (imagine someone like @Dottles) on an ebike!  That would be fun :)

You took him down? Like, rammed him with your bike? You're are a NUTTER :)

I don't think I have the stamina these days to chase an e-bike.

No ramming.  Just a phrase as I put on his King's crown.  I had hoped it sent him a notification. He did see the ride and kudoed me, and posted "LOL"  in my comment feed.  Not sure if a KOM loses to a girl, if strava will still send a notification.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't think I have the stamina these days to chase an e-bike.

No ramming.  Just a phrase as I put on his King's crown.  I had hoped it sent him a notification. He did see the ride and kudoed me, and posted "LOL"  in my comment feed.  Not sure if a KOM loses to a girl, if strava will still send a notification.

Does "overall" get a different crown than the traditional KOM and QOM?  I've never seen a woman at the top of a list, but it surely has happened at least once, so was there any difference?  Heck, is there a difference between the KOM and the QOM crown? Is the QOM one bedazzled and pink?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Does "overall" get a different crown than the traditional KOM and QOM?  I've never seen a woman at the top of a list, but it surely has happened at least once, so was there any difference?  Heck, is there a difference between the KOM and the QOM crown? Is the QOM one bedazzled and pink?

Crowns are the same.  Equality and all, I guess.  haha

The leaderboards are just set at men and women.  Although, even that is getting tricky.  It's fucking up women's racing for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Crowns are the same.  Equality and all, I guess.  haha

The leaderboards are just set at men and women.  Although, even that is getting tricky.  It's fucking up women's racing for sure.  

Seems like the right thing would be just ONE leaderboard, and then all the subset lists like sex, age, weight, etc. would also have leaders - but not a King/Queen.  Give the women an incentive! :D

Seriously, though, I wonder if Strava keeps the KOM/QOM or some new changes come about as part of an awareness or fairness push.