Bone broth.

Wilbur

I made some today.

I took a quart of store chicken bone broth and a pint of store beef bone broth, maybe 3 pounds of beef bones, and put it all in a pressure cooker for an hour. Looks good.

I didn't use to use my pressure cooker much, but I plan on making a bunch of bone broth. I am also going to do some cheat meals making French Onion soup with it.

Oooh lala.

Maybe I'll do that manana...

2 hours ago, Randum Guy said:

Yes or no? 

Nope.

Can't actually think of a reason to seek it out or to make it :(

Well, a reason other than to tell SW what he is missing.  But I can do that already with sugar and gluten and lots of other tasty things.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Nope.

Can't actually think of a reason to seek it out or to make it :(

Well, a reason other than to tell SW what he is missing.  But I can do that already with sugar and gluten and lots of other tasty things.

Tom

You've never had French Onion soup in a good French restaurant.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Besides t’onions, and the bone broth, and the French, WTH art thou putting in this soep to make it so mind expanding, Daddio? I’d like to try it out myself.

Soup is simple. Use a good broth, brown the meat, add veggies.

French Onion soup is an entirely difference critter. Using traditional French methods, make a beef stock. It can never be allowed to boil, that ruins it. The next day, do it again. Caramelise the onions in butter, which will take 30 or 40 minutes, and you have to pay close attention or it will be ruined.

Some restaurants make classic stock 3 times. I doubt I've ever had that. That's why you never see it outside a good French restaurant. You spend most of your time in the kitchen for a couple of days.

When I get around to trying it with bone broth, I'll let you know how close I get, but while I can guarantee it will be good, I can guarantee it won't be as good.

If I keep this up, I'll start lobbying the girls for a Boston trip that includes a French restaurant. That'll piss them off. We usually go to the North End or Chinatown, or try some new hot place. Between the cost and missing our favorites, I may be facing a losing battle.

If you want to get really nuts, find a used Nouvelle Cuisine cookbook. Truth in BS moment, I did buy one, but they are so labor intensive I never did a single recipe.

Fine dining is a form of theater, and to make it memorable they do things you would never do. I recently watched a video of what some think is the best in my country, on one small dish someone works all day to make a single small bite. There is no menu, you fork over about $330, and expect... an experience.

31 minutes ago, late said:

Nope.

I'm only partially Keto. I have been eating a ton of fruit. Paleo isn't for weight loss, and that's something I need to do.

I'd venture Paleo, like Keto,  Atkins,  Weight Watchers,  The Zone,  a vegetarian/vegan diet,  South Beach, Raw food, or Mediterranean diet CAN all result in weight loss and all probably at the same pace over a year.

Two essentials to real weight loss:  Diet and Exercise.  No specific diet, no specific exercise.  But if a person sticks to a diet and gets ample exercise, weight comes down.

Good luck on the diet.  Tweak it so it works best for you.  I like my french onion soup with lots of cheese and lots of bread, but don't I need the bone soup in my recipe.  I usually don't eat a ton of soup until November when it stays cooler and I want something tasty to warm me up.

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I'd venture Paleo, like Keto,  Atkins,  Weight Watchers,  The Zone,  a vegetarian/vegan diet,  South Beach, Raw food, or Mediterranean diet CAN all result in weight loss and all probably at the same pace over a year.

Two essentials to real weight loss:  Diet and Exercise.  No specific diet, no specific exercise.  But if a person sticks to a diet and gets ample exercise, weight comes down.

Good luck on the diet.  Tweak it so it works best for you.  I like my french onion soup with lots of cheese and lots of bread, but don't I need the bone soup in my recipe.  I usually don't eat a ton of soup until November when it stays cooler and I want something tasty to warm me up.

Tom

Keto is where most of your calories come from fat. Some keto guys eat little in the way of veggies and fruit.

It'd be hard to do it the other way round.

https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegetarian-ketogenic-diet/

Fat cells contain water, that extra water flushing out can deplete water soluble nutrients. Bone broth helps with that. So while bone broth is really good for you, if you're not losing weight, it's very optional.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I’m not like that: soep is a frequent flyer in my diet and cooking, all year round, in fact, everything in the garden soep is one of the great delights of my summer diet. But as you say, the colder months make soep particularly satisfying, the traditional lentil soeps with barley, and the dal type soeps with a tarka, yummy yummy in my tummy.

4 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I’m not like that: soep is a frequent flyer in my diet and cooking, all year round, in fact, everything in the garden soep is one of the great delights of my summer diet. But as you say, the colder months make soep particularly satisfying, the traditional lentil soeps with barley, and the dal type soeps with a tarka, yummy yummy in my tummy.

Our lentil soup is a year round mainstay, but it is closer to a thicker dal than a typical "soup" and is very good over rice.  Once in a while a favorite of ours that has lots of sweet potatoes also gets made a few times in the warmer months.  

But, for us, a weekly big batch of soup is a cooler month option.  Warmer months are more things like hearty salads.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Our lentil soup is a year round mainstay, but it is closer to a thicker dal than a typical "soup" and is very good over rice.  Once in a while a favorite of ours that has lots of sweet potatoes also gets made a few times in the warmer months.  

But, for us, a weekly big batch of soup is a cooler month option.  Warmer months are more things like hearty salads.

Tom

Nice.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

Right on.  If you go back to the 1980's, the Pritikin Promise, 85% Carbs, was THE fad diet of the time and many athletes endorsed it.

But as far as weight loss goes, it's Calories consumed - calories burned.  Exercise is important to keep the body producing chemicals that transport and burn fats: these get cut way back in concentration when we're sedentary for long periods and irregular hard exercise then burns little except carbs - and muscle tissue.  That's where the myth of "slow metabolism" originates.

ANY diet that strays far from the decades-long-tested National Institutes of Health general recommendation of about 50% Carbs, 25% Protein, and 25% Fat (by calories) or the Mediterranean Diet's about 1/3 each one, is only advantageous if there's an athletic, medical, or short-term reason for throwing off your body's needed materials.

The so-called Paleo Diet never made sense to me because what was eaten was what was available and the short avg. life-spans of people then meant that there was no natural selection by diet for not getting cancer, weakened bones in old age, and other diet-related aging illnesses.

• Heart 1

I haven't made bone broth in years.

I grew up on bone broth.  I have childhood and teenage memories of helping my mother skim off the fat after bringing it out from the fridge. And the gelatinous blobs of soups...ughish to look at. Anyway, traditional Chinese soups are consommé soups at heart....and hundreds of combinations based on a bone broth.  Noodles, seafood, wonton, other pieces of meat, veggies, etc.  Much of the soups are ...not the type you would have in restaurants because of amount of time it takes to prep. it in high volume.

My mother was a great believer in feeding us a consommé based soup several times /wk.  Easy and nutritious for many kids. 

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I haven't made bone broth in years.

I grew up on bone broth.  I have childhood and teenage memories of helping my mother skim off the fat after bringing it out from the fridge. And the gelatinous blobs of soups...ughish to look at. Anyway, traditional Chinese soups are consommé soups at heart....and hundreds of combinations based on a bone broth.  Noodles, seafood, wonton, other pieces of meat, veggies, etc.  Much of the soups are ...not the type you would have in restaurants because of amount of time it takes to prep. it in high volume.

My mother was a great believer in feeding us a consommé based soup several times /wk.  Easy and nutritious for many kids. 

We grew up with several soup or broth based dishes served with rice or noodles as well.  I usually do a soup night each week but during the summer they are more clear brothed while in cooler weather I'll do pea or bean soups.  My SIL loves potato soup and asked if I'd make it soon.  Still kinda warm for me for a thick soup like that but it is tasty.  It's not ideal for diabetics tho...

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It's not ideal for diabetics tho...

Purple potatoes have a little more protein, and a little less starch, than other potatoes. You could also try rinsing the starch out.

If you combined that with a thickener (pureed cauliflower, almond flour, arrowroot, etc) you could drop the carbs even more.

Cheese, just because... I just started getting raw milk cheeses, I wonder how goat cheese would work in a potato soup. I think I must investigate, my dear Watson.

• Heart 1

On 9/24/2018 at 10:56 PM, MickinMD said:

Right on.  If you go back to the 1980's, the Pritikin Promise, 85% Carbs, was THE fad diet of the time and many athletes endorsed it.

But as far as weight loss goes, it's Calories consumed - calories burned.  Exercise is important to keep the body producing chemicals that transport and burn fats: these get cut way back in concentration when we're sedentary for long periods and irregular hard exercise then burns little except carbs - and muscle tissue.  That's where the myth of "slow metabolism" originates.

ANY diet that strays far from the decades-long-tested National Institutes of Health general recommendation of about 50% Carbs, 25% Protein, and 25% Fat (by calories) or the Mediterranean Diet's about 1/3 each one, is only advantageous if there's an athletic, medical, or short-term reason for throwing off your body's needed materials.

The so-called Paleo Diet never made sense to me because what was eaten was what was available and the short avg. life-spans of people then meant that there was no natural selection by diet for not getting cancer, weakened bones in old age, and other diet-related aging illnesses.

If you go back to the 80's, high carb, low fat was all the rage but so was the thought that calories burned - calories eaten would result in weight stabilization.  That has since been proven completely incorrect.  A much bigger factor in weight control is hormonal.  The biggest offending hormone for weight gain is the diabetics friend, insulin.  Excess carbs = excess insulin which causes fat storage.  This is why high fat, low carb diets have become all the rage and are very successful.  Even taking people out of pre-diabetic states.  High fat is not high protein.  High protein also causes an insulin reaction as do sweeteners, also the synthetic ones people rely on.  High carb diets are also causes of macular degeneration so eat a spinach salad every day for eye health.  Carrots do nothing.

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If you go back to the 80's, high carb, low fat was all the rage but so was the thought that calories burned - calories eaten would result in weight stabilization.  That has since been proven completely incorrect.  A much bigger factor in weight control is hormonal.  The biggest offending hormone for weight gain is the diabetics friend, insulin.  Excess carbs = excess insulin which causes fat storage.  This is why high fat, low carb diets have become all the rage and are very successful.  Even taking people out of pre-diabetic states.  High fat is not high protein.  High protein also causes an insulin reaction as do sweeteners, also the synthetic ones people rely on.  High carb diets are also causes of macular degeneration so eat a spinach salad every day for eye health.  Carrots do nothing.

Supposedly, the "carrots improve your eyesight" was a cover story during WW2 to hide from the Axis the fact that the Norden Bomb Sight was responsible for superior bombing raids by the allies. The Sight was such a technical marvel it was built so that it fell to pieces if a plane it was in crashed so the enemy would never get their hands on it.  The Army Air Force and Royal Air Force explained that air crews were being fed high concentrations of carrots to improve their eyesight though in reality carrots had nothing to do with improving eyesight!

I think what I will do is cook up some mirepoix, throw that in. Brown about 1/2 pound of ribeye, and throw that in. Cook one portion of Soba noodles and throw that in.

Needs some greens, maybe TJs baby bok choy.

For spices, 1/2 tsp shichimi togarashi, a tblsp coconut amino acids, maybe some paprika. What I'll do is put in the first two, and then take a tblsp of broth and add various things hoping one will kick it over the top.

Spring onion for a garnish.

https://www.amazon.com/Shichimi-Togarashi-1-9-Glass-Jar/dp/B078JRZVN2

The Slow Food Movement would love this thread, just as they’d have loved my last batch of half dark rye half white wheat sourdough bread, the second rise of which in the banettons was 56 hours, then baked in the Dutch oven - the most sublime loaves I’be ever produced, the bottom crust so stout you virtually need a chainsaw to cut it, in fact, I need to slice it all up on the first day baked then freeze it, if I leave it any longer than that it is unpossible to cut.