Summer is over

Randomguy

Soon it will be freezing cold, and the earth will become a dead, lifeless place.  It will be buried alive at times, too.  Fall can be nice as a relief from the jungle-like humidity and heat, but presages the hibernation stage.

I feel like I got all the bad parts of summer this year, and missed all the good parts.  Soon I will miss it, though.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I like how you look at things!

Thank you.  Lately, I am working hard at being grateful for everything.  

When the cold dry mornings are here, the path is like covered in glitter.  It is really beautiful.  Also, the air is cleaner.  After fire season, we truly appreciate clean air.

• Heart 1

We had a great summer, the best since 1976, when I was nobbut a lad, and I made the most of it again, just as I did then, though in different ways: then it was all seaside and camping and cliff climbing and discos and binge drinking and girls, lately it’s been all garden time and messing with my wood and barbies, never had so many cookouts in my life. As to it being all over, ja, it has cooled down some and blew a bit of a storm for two days this last week, dropped a month worth of rain in a few hours, but today is decent, plenty of sunshine, and that allus makes me feel good.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

We had a great summer, the best since 1976, when I was nobbut a lad, and I made the most of it again, just as I did then, though in different ways: then it was all seaside and camping and cliff climbing and discos and binge drinking and girls, lately it’s been all garden time and messing with my wood and barbie, never had so many cookouts in my life. As to it being all over, ja, it has cooled down some and blew a bit of a storm for two days this last week, dropped a month worth of rain in a few hours, but today is decent, plenty of sunshine, and that allus makes me feel good.

I will wave as I drift overhead tomorrow.  

38 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Winter - When I turn the air conditioner on to get it cold enough in the house to light a fire in the fireplace.

Right!?!? No huge life adjustments for us either.  Wear a sweatshirt at the beach. Maybe put pants on at night if going out. Other than the short days winter is just beautiful here.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:56 AM, Randomguy said:

Soon it will be freezing cold, and the earth will become a dead, lifeless place.  It will be buried alive at times, too.  Fall can be nice as a relief from the jungle-like humidity and heat, but presages the hibernation stage.

I feel like I got all the bad parts of summer this year, and missed all the good parts.  Soon I will miss it, though.

This has been the worst Summer I can remember - we got VERY lucky the first week of July at a lake in the mountains of Western Maryland with only one day of rain and reasonable temperatures, but otherwise it's been rain, rain, rain and when there would be a few dry days, it would be 96F "feels like 106F" with humidity so high that classes immediately fogged up when you walked out of an air-conditioned store.

So now we've got highs mostly in the 60's and 70's on tap with, hopefully, no rain beginning Friday and through the Weekend.  We've often had great Indian Summers here in Central Maryland with highs in the upper 70's or 80's and little rain.  I loved coaching high school cross country in the Fall because there was seldom a rain-out.  Hopefully, we'll get lucky again.