Dabbling in cooking this weekend has been fun

Ralphie

Those tv shows where people whip up stuff up a hurry given some ingredients are very inspiring! The combinations of flavours and textures and shit is just limitless.  Mixed feelings aboot the ham bone in the collard greens though.  The ham bone was an accident, something I elected to use instead of throw away, but it does sort of mar the healthiness and innate goodness of the collard greens. 

I have really got my cooking mojo back in the last few months, largely out of all the renewed interest in bbqs, I have made a few things for the first time, and started making pasta again regularly, t’other day I used the crockpot for the first time this season, and it is on again today since 8:30am and we shall dine at 7pm, IOW in less than an hour and a half. At 6 I shall go inside (I’m in the garden presently, messing with my wood again) and get the spuds on for mash, also the ‘snips I was given today by a friend who grew them, I shall also mash, a bit of cauliflower - the rest of the veggies are in the casserole.

36 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Those tv shows where people whip up stuff up a hurry given some ingredients are very inspiring! The combinations of flavours and textures and shit is just limitless.  Mixed feelings aboot the ham bone in the collard greens though.  The ham bone was an accident, something I elected to use instead of throw away, but it does sort of mar the healthiness and innate goodness of the collard greens. 

The ham bone should have gone in the pea soup Shirley.

• Heart 3

US Senate bean soup:

Bean Soup Recipe (for five gallons)

3 pounds dried navy beans

2 pounds of ham and a ham bone

1 quart mashed potatoes

5 onions, chopped

2 stalks of celery, chopped

four cloves garlic, chopped

half a bunch of parsley, chopped

Clean the beans, then cook them dry.  Add ham, bone and water and bring to a boil.  Add potatoes and mix thoroughly.  Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil.  Simmer for one hour before serving.

From Senate.gov