The Browns

Digital_photog

29 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Ha, I know this one: they are the losingist team, n’est pas? Therefore they mustn’t be playing today, right? I’ve still not seen any highlights yet this season, and it’s what, the third round? Should be able to get a highlights show recorded tonight, to watch tomorrow.

They were once the best team in the league for a period of about 15 years, ending a long time ago.  1965-ish, I think.  Then they were mediocre with occasional excellence and more occasional suckishness, then they moved out of town so a rich guy could get richer.

After a couple of years a brand new expansion team was started in Cleveland, and this incarnation has found no real success.  They also have found no goodness or even mediocreness in the most important position, quarterback.  Poor drafts, poor players, injuries, and general malaise did them in.  No consistent strategy was followed and they kept changing the coaches and the front office so it continued on.

They seem to be on the right path now, with a good defense and some pieces on the offense that can do good things.  There is some irrational exuberance surrounding the new rookie quarterback.  He did look very good in his only appearance and quickly sparked the team to a nice comeback.  I share the exuberance for future growth and potential of the guy, but some people are going a bit over the top based on one game against a bad team.  

I still think he will make some rookie mistakes, and other team will study him for weaknesses.  That said, the future looks bright if development continues and injuries don't.  Then again, I have always been a fan, being from the place and all.

• Heart 1

The Browns could improve a lot as the season develops.  They play the Ravens in Baltimore Week 17 and that could decide the AFC North.  It used to be the Ravens and Steelers played week 16 or 17 each year in what was usually the AFC North Champ game.

I have high hopes for the Ravens: 2nd highest points scored in AFC, 4th fewest points given up NFL.  One bad game away on a Thurs.  A couple TV and NFC.com commentators pointed out the Ravens offense is fun to watch this year and the Flacco is healthy for the first time in a few years and looking good - except for that Thurs. game.  The D is looking good and should be spectacular after CJ Mosley and Jimmy Smith return.

The Steelers look awful so far.  I hope the Ravens beat the possibly 0-3 Steelers at PIttsburgh next Sun. Nite.  They also play the Steelers in Baltimore wk. 8.  It's disgusting that so many intra-division games are being played so early in the schedule this year.