So who amongst you knows what a Minneola is withoot googling, binging, or wikiing?

Ralphie

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

They are bigger than a tangerine.  I see them in stores.

...I grow them in the front yard. They're one of my more delicious citrus products here at home.

I think they're an old cross between a tangerine and an orange, but I'd need to look it up....if you have enough of them, they make a delicious juice.

Edit: cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit.  

• Heart 1

Valentine Flowers and Fruit 006.JPG

Minneola blossoms are self-incompatible and must be cross-pollinated by a suitable pollinator to assure good fruit set. Most mandarin-types are suitable pollinators, with the exception of Satsumas and Minneola’s siblings, Orlando and Seminole. Unfortunately, when cross-pollinated, Minneola’s fruits tend to be seedy.Tree vigorous and productive with large, long-pointed leaves.  Less cold-resistant than Orlando.  Cross-pollination recommended for regular and heavy production.  Dancy, Clementine, and Kinnow mandarins appear to be satisfactory pollinators.  Orlando tangelo is cross-incompatible.

...I planted a Clementine Mandarin for cross pollination, but it also produces a nice, small, early orange.

While yes it is a variety of orange, my first thought was an area of Clermont, Fl known as Mineola. Great cycling area around Lake Mineola any has a great high end bike shop along it’s shoreline trails. Ironically, it encompasses and is a few blocks from the historic citrus tower where use to see miles of groves, now rooftops.

Also in the vicinity of the much rumored Florida hills.

• Heart 1

The Minneola tangelo (sometimes misspelled "Mineola" or "Myneeowleh") is a cross between a Duncan grapefruit and a Dancy tangerine, and was released in 1931 by the USDA Horticultural Research Station in Orlando. It is named after Minneola, Florida.[

A true Honeybell Tangelo is a hybrid-cross between Thompson tangerine and a pomelo, hence the name Tangelo released by the USDA.

One study thus far has shown that, unlike grapefruit, interactions with statins are not likely with tangelos. Although the tangelo is derived from a grapefruit crossed with a tangerine, the furocoumarins in grapefruit are not expressed in tangelos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangelo

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I always called them Minneola oranges, but is the verdict that they are some sort of orange x ???? hybrid?

I like most citrus.  I generally prefer the ones that are easiest to peel like those little Clementine ones or the Satsuma one.

Tom

The are part of the tangelo family which has the attributes of tangerines and oranges. While hardy, not really that commercial. Valencia’s are #1, traditional orange and primary juicer. Commercial preferences other than tangerines (Darcy or Sunburst) are navel oranges  and Honeybells.

Went to local nursery to buy a replacement tangerine tree. While saw tangelos there, none were the Minneola variety.

Since we learned in Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha" that Minnehaha means "Laughing Water," then clearly Mineola means "Ola Water."  Since Ola means "Hello" in many languages, then Mineola translates to "Hello Water."  Perhaps there was once a thirsty Algonquin who found a stream, smiled and said, "Hello, water!" and thought, "What a pleasant place to be!"

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Since we learned in Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha" that Minnehaha means "Laughing Water," then clearly Mineola means "Ola Water."  Since Ola means "Hello" in many languages, then Mineola translates to "Hello Water."  Perhaps there was once a thirsty Algonquin who found a stream, smiled and said, "Hello, water!" and thought, "What a pleasant place to be!"

Another coincidence, if you google a map of Clermont, FL you will see Lake Mineola, and immediately south (across SR 50) is Lake Minnehaha.