I just checked

jsharr

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Two disdainful threads in two days....  that's what happens when you lose to a team like Seattle.

They sucked before getting spanked by the Seahags.  They suck now and they will suck tomorrow, unless of course Jerry Jones returns back across the river Styx and the team gets an owner who knows how to shut up and sign checks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

They sucked before getting spanked by the Seahags.  They suck now and they will suck tomorrow, unless of course Jerry Jones returns back across the river Styx and the team gets an owner who knows how to shut up and sign checks.

It's the way of the NFL these days. They will beat some good team in the next couple weeks and they will grow on you again.

Dallas became popular (America's Team) back in the day when there were only 1pm and 4pm games on television.  Being a Western Team Dallas and Oakland dominated the late game schedule and were probably more viewed than any other teams.

Then there were the cheerleaders.

But the country was much smaller then and more tolerant of sucky teams.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Dallas became popular (America's Team) back in the day when there were only 1pm and 4pm games on television.  Being a Western Team Dallas and Oakland dominated the late game schedule and were probably more viewed than any other teams.

Then there were the cheerleaders.

But the country was much smaller then and more tolerant of sucky teams.

Dallas did not suck then.  They were owned by rich, show off Texicans and coached by a football genius of his time.  The Murchison's understood that their job was to sign checks and hire professionals to run the team.   Free agency and salary cap did not exist and the owners and management took advantage of the players.  Roger Staubach was paid $25,000 his first year in the NFL 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Dallas did not suck then.  They were owned by rich, show off Texicans and coached by a football genius of his time.  The Murchison's understood that their job was to sign checks and hire professionals to run the team.   Free agency and salary cap did not exist and the owners and management took advantage of the players.  Roger Staubach was paid $25,000 his first year in the NFL 

America's Team is exactly the kind of slogan that makes the rest of us with any football knowledge want to vomit.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

America's Team is exactly the kind of slogan that makes the rest of us with any football knowledge want to vomit.

Sucks to be you.  Branding matters.  How much Cowboys gear sells than SeaHags.  Hell, you guys had to try and steal a slogan from a Texas footballing college.  How bad is that?

No matter how bad they suck, the Cowboys are stll the most valuable team and sell more merchandise, sponsorships, etc. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/09/18/the-dallas-cowboys-head-the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-at-4-8-billion/#58c58bd8243f

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

If money does indeed talk, then it is screaming that the Cowboys are number 1 and thus Jerry Jones can keep being the footballing antichrist and present a sub par product and still be on top.   Sheeple. 

Puke. The CowToys are now finding out what salary caps and free agency can do. Make them mediocre like everyone else. Without it, you get what I call the Yankee years of football. And they can kiss my ass. Fact is, your team has been irrelevant since the Aikman years. That's almost 25 years ago. 

Bob Lilly. I liked Bob Lilly.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Puke. The CowToys are now finding out what salary caps and free agency can do. Make them mediocre like everyone else. Without it, you get what I call the Yankee years of football. And they can kiss my ass. Fact is, your team has been irrelevant since the Aikman years. That's almost 25 years ago. 

Bob Lilly. I liked Bob Lilly.

I think that is what I said above.  For whatever reason, the Cowboys can suck but people still buy the gear, go to the games, drink the Blue and Silver kool aid.  They will be mediocre at best as long as Jerry Jones owns them, due to his need to win a superbowl his way to prove that it is his.  He is hubris personified.   And until it begins to cost him financially to suck so bad, the Cowboys will continue to suck.  I wonder how much they would be worth if they did not suck.  4 Billion?   Who knows.

I liked most if not all of the 60s and 70s Cowboys.  Different players in a different game and time.  

Free agency and salary cap hurt the Cowboys but their biggest impediment to success is Jerry Jones.  He will not hire a GM or a strong head coach and he will not let the people that know what they are doing make the draft and personel decisions.  He has said so in interviews even.  Recently he was asked if he would trade his Hall of Fame jacket for another superbowl win.  He said no.  This is about him and his glory.  He is the I in team hiding in the A hole.

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I think that is what I said above.  For whatever reason, the Cowboys can suck but people still buy the gear, go to the games, drink the Blue and Silver kool aid.  They will be mediocre at best as long as Jerry Jones owns them, due to his need to win a superbowl his way to prove that it is his.  He is hubris personified.   And until it begins to cost him financially to suck so bad, the Cowboys will continue to suck.  I wonder how much they would be worth if they did not suck.  4 Billion?   Who knows.

I liked most if not all of the 60s and 70s Cowboys.  Different players in a different game and time.  

Free agency and salary cap hurt the Cowboys but their biggest impediment to success is Jerry Jones.  He will not hire a GM or a strong head coach and he will not let the people that know what they are doing make the draft and personel decisions.  He has said so in interviews even.  Recently he was asked if he would trade his Hall of Fame jacket for another superbowl win.  He said no.  This is about him and his glory.  He is the I in team hiding in the A hole.

I don't know if you guys would have the same success as your history -- derogatory statement -- but I do agree with your assessment. Why would anyone in the press care what Jerry Jones thinks? At least Al Davis coached.

The Cowboys might suck, but a generation ago a local Baltimore lawyer who had made his riches in asbestos, etc. lawsuits, bought the greatly-managed-and-operated Baltimore Orioles and decided that he knew better than baseball insiders on how to run the team.

His sons looked at statistics on baseball cards and convinced dad that the way to go was the free-agent route.  At first, that worked as players wanted to come to a traditionally winning team.  Then the neglect of the farm teams began to tell.  Fewer players were being developed.  Soon Rochester, the Orioles AAA-affiliate for nearly half a century, dissolved all relationships with the Orioles and the Orioles became the ONLY major league baseball team without an AAA-affiliate.

For nearly two decades, the team became what a CBS reporter described as "a train-wreck of an organization" as the owner, Peter Angelos, continued to interfere in decisions and turned the team into little more than a money maker.  This year, for the first time since the 1950's, not a single game has been shown on broadcast TV: you have to get Angelos-owned MASN network through cable TV, which is also where you see the Washington Nationals: their agreement with MASN was a condition Angelos set for allowing another major league team to begin operations within 50 miles of Baltimore.

So, right now, the Orioles are 45-111 with 6 games to go, setting the team record for losses going back to when they were the St. Louis Browns and are guaranteed to have the third worse record in modern baseball history.  Locals like myself, who used to be able to quote the batting avg's, won-lost records, etc. of the whole team, are hard pressed to name five players on the team now.  That's especially true since they traded away some of their best players, getting what they could for them before they left town in disgust when their contracts ran out.

So, yeah, the Cowboys suck, but it could be worse.  They could have an owner like the Orioles, Browns, Lions, etc.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The Cowboys might suck, but a generation ago a local Baltimore lawyer who had made his riches in asbestos, etc. lawsuits, bought the greatly-managed-and-operated Baltimore Orioles and decided that he knew better than baseball insiders on how to run the team.

His sons looked at statistics on baseball cards and convinced dad that the way to go was the free-agent route.  At first, that worked as players wanted to come to a traditionally winning team.  Then the neglect of the farm teams began to tell.  Fewer players were being developed.  Soon Rochester, the Orioles AAA-affiliate for nearly half a century, dissolved all relationships with the Orioles and the Orioles became the ONLY major league baseball team without an AAA-affiliate.

For nearly two decades, the team became what a CBS reporter described as "a train-wreck of an organization" as the owner, Peter Angelos, continued to interfere in decisions and turned the team into little more than a money maker.  This year, for the first time since the 1950's, not a single game has been shown on broadcast TV: you have to get Angelos-owned MASN network through cable TV, which is also where you see the Washington Nationals: their agreement with MASN was a condition Angelos set for allowing another major league team to begin operations within 50 miles of Baltimore.

So, right now, the Orioles are 45-111 with 6 games to go, setting the team record for losses going back to when they were the St. Louis Browns and are guaranteed to have the third worse record in modern baseball history.  Locals like myself, who used to be able to quote the batting avg's, won-lost records, etc. of the whole team, are hard pressed to name five players on the team now.  That's especially true since they traded away some of their best players, getting what they could for them before they left town in disgust when their contracts ran out.

So, yeah, the Cowboys suck, but it could be worse.  They could have an owner like the Orioles, Browns, Lions, etc.

The Cowboys owner is a business genuis.  After college, he saw at the time there as no money in coaching, so he went and got rich and then bought the Dallas Cowboys.  He has caused huge amounts of change in both the Cowboys and the NFL.  But he puts himself and his desires over putting a winning team on the field.  As long as his way makes money and the dollars keep rolling in and the merchanside keeps rolling out, he does not care.    He wants to win, but he wants to do it his way and I do not see that happening as he does not have the football knowledge to pull this off.  

11 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Losing my interest in sports in general. More fantasies about going Alaskan frontier like Richard Proenneke.

Can you carve wooden spoons and door latches and shit?  Or build a cabin by hand?  Do they still make super8 cameras?  Can you even fix or operate heavy machinery?

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Does Cal Ripken approve of all this bullcrap?