Fun trailcam pics for Maxx

smudge

HoSmudge has been battling bears for quite some time now. They crippled his corn feeder by pulling it down and bending the tripod legs; so he replaced the stock legs with heavier metal legs.  He also wrapped a chain around one of the legs and to a tree. They climbed the tree. They tore off the cover of the corn feeder, so he put screws in the cover. They knocked the spreader mechanism off the feeder. HoSmudge finally had enough and wrapped barbed wire around the feeder legs, the tree, and the bottom of the feeder. Apparently, bears don't care about barbed wire.

This little guy is patting at the corn spreader mechanism, and he's using the barbed wire as a ladder/step.

1413992814_littletoes.jpg.0cc045fc03e35c97033a59f23f5a317d.jpg

This is the family; a momma and three cubs.

family.jpg.7d48976b13b75eb37a95e42eaced263f.jpg

So ya, my head is always on a swivel now when I"m at camp! This family usually shows up in the dark hours, but none-the-less....

Then, while HoSmudge was spending a few days at camp and was still indoors one morning, this came through...

cow.jpg.b4ec29712b6b1e15ac9522823719a3e9.jpg

We have NEVER seen a moose in the Yoop. They were reintroduced here in the 80's (?), but neither of us has seen one. This is the closest we've come to seeing one. Well, THIS is the closest....

snout.jpg.33ba37898573aa1cc1995163f9e57d36.jpg

HA!!! I absolutely love that pic. 

We'll probably be going back up in a day or two, so it will be interesting to see what has been happening this time!

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

HoSmudge has been battling bears for quite some time now. They crippled his corn feeder by pulling it down and bending the tripod legs; so he replaced the stock legs with heavier metal legs.  He also wrapped a chain around one of the legs and to a tree. They climbed the tree. They tore off the cover of the corn feeder, so he put screws in the cover. They knocked the spreader mechanism off the feeder. HoSmudge finally had enough and wrapped barbed wire around the feeder legs, the tree, and the bottom of the feeder. Apparently, bears don't care about barbed wire.

This little guy is patting at the corn spreader mechanism, and he's using the barbed wire as a ladder/step.

I didn't realize that bears were that closely related to squirrels.

• Haha 1

Just now, smudge said:

It's ok guys. It's no where near you. The feeder is intended for deer, but wildlife doesn't care. 

The barbed wire is to discourage the bears from tearing down the feeder. Obviously, they are not traumatized by it. 

I maybe be a dumb Texican, but even I know that Michigan is far from Texas.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I also know the value of the judicious use of barbed wire!  Well played HOSmudge!  Any animal stupid enough to fight a whole herd of bees for honey will find barbed wire cute and insteresting at worst and pleasurable at best.

Thanks for the level-headed response. And good point!  I'm actually surprised we don't have any pics of any of them scratching their back on the barbed wire. I've seen cattle scratching the underside of their necks on it. sigh, what's the sense of it then?  :D 

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Thanks for the level-headed response. And good point!  I'm actually surprised we don't have any pics of any of them scratching their back on the barbed wire. I've seen cattle scratching the underside of their necks on it. sigh, what's the sense of it then?  :D 

Barbed wire was invented by Levi Strauss once he saw how durable denim was.

• Haha 1